Caline CP-25 Highway Man (and CP-12 Pure Sky)

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 900 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

Hmm. Caline catalog is becoming quite puzzling one. These two here. Same f*king circuit. Paul Cochrane Timmy. 4558D, no switch for clipping, just the four 4148s for both. Highway Man has linear and log pots for bass/treble and Pure Sky has them at C50K. Pure Sky has designation screen prints under the components, but just by looking at the boards, component values and topology, i can safely say the circuits are identical.

Why on earth would anyone release two differently named pedals that have exactly the same circuit in them?

Highway Man BOM:
R1 10k
R2 10k
R3 3k3
R4 1M
R5 510k
R6 3k3
R7 1k5
R8 3k3
R9 3k3
R10 4k7

C1 47u/25v
C2 47u/25v
C3 1u
C4 39n
C5 47n
C6 100p
C7 10n
C8 1u

Bass A50k
Treble B50k
Gain A1M
Level A10k

IC1 JRC4558D
D1 1N4001
D2-D5 1N4148
LED1 diffused blue 5mm

Yes. It was quite stupid for me to redraw the Timmy, but...
Attachments
Redrawn Timmy
Redrawn Timmy
Highway Man component side
Highway Man component side
Highway Man solder side
Highway Man solder side
Pure Sky component side (swapped abused/broken pots earlier)
Pure Sky component side (swapped abused/broken pots earlier)
Pure Sky solder side
Pure Sky solder side
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

Well I guess it's definitely not an Xotic RC booster clone then....
Attachments
XoticRCBooster_correct.GIF

FrostBottomBoy
Information

Post by FrostBottomBoy »

I know this is an old post, but it came in useful to me today. THANKS A TON FOR DOING WHAT YOU DID SO LONG AGO, BROTHER!

I just got a Pure Sky and a Highway Man. I like them both but noticed the bass control on the Highway Man didn't seem to have much affect until the 3 o'clock and up range. Seeing that they used an audio taper pot as a bass control, I now understand WHY.

In answer to your question of "Why on earth would anyone release two differently named pedals that have exactly the same circuit in them?" I think the answer is "some players would leave the tone controls at noon and like the bit of mid hump that results". Which was me. All knobs at noon on both pedals, I preferred the HMan. I liked the slight mid-hump which gave my P90's some needed warmth. I found the PSky a bit too brittle.

Now that I've played with both pedals again I've discovered how to set the PSky the way I like it - treble around 9:30 and the bass around 9 o'clock gives a nice layer of warm mids just like the HMan with both tone knobs at noon.

Well, I can now sell off my barely used Highway Man. And I'm going to sell my Tim pedal. Sorry Paul, it's really awesome but I'm broke and never took advantage of the boost side of it or the clipping options.

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

FrostBottomBoy wrote:I know this is an old post, but it came in useful to me today. THANKS A TON FOR DOING WHAT YOU DID SO LONG AGO, BROTHER!

Well, I can now sell off my barely used Highway Man. And I'm going to sell my Tim pedal. Sorry Paul, it's really awesome but I'm broke and never took advantage of the boost side of it or the clipping options.
I don't have a problem with you selling the Tim at all. Thanks for giving it a shot!