Joyo - JF-01 Vintage Overdrive versus Joyo Signature Overdrive

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Antigua
Information

Post by Antigua »

I have more extensive gut shots of these two pedals. If anyone is interested, I'll attach them also.

I cracked up a Joyo Signature Overdrive, a modified Tube Screamer, and a Joyo Vintage Overdrive (a more true Tube Screamer clone that doesn't sound quite like a Tube Screamer). It's hard to see component values with components that are tightly packed together, but one difference that stands out is that the Signature Overdrive has a total of four clipping diodes while the Vintage Overdrive has only two:

Here are a couple comparisons of the soft clipped sin wave with the tone @12 and the tone maxed, and the drive maxed out:

A/B'ing the two side by side, the Signature has a much higher overall gain, and a lot more low end. The volume knob with the Signature OD at 10 o'clock is similar to the Vintage OD at 2 or 3 o'clock, so it's also acting as a serious booster. The low end is very thick. The "mid hump" is more of a "bass hump",

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

Thanks, I just bought both of these. The Signature seems to have different diodes and a different op-amp. I have the Vintage OD here now and it sounds really good, I'll get the Signature later.

What op-amp is in the signature, I can't make it out.

Lithium_Grim
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Lithium_Grim »

RC4558P
I only give negativ feedback and y'all love it!
PCB shop

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

I have both pedals now, I think I'll use a few of these Joyo pedals to get back into tracing.

cdwillis
Information

Post by cdwillis »

I wonder if they used a 1M pot for gain in the signature OD since it has the extra diodes.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Louder is more good.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

I got bored and traced them both out.

The Vintage Overdrive is a spot on TS808 clone, has the Ti 4558P, 2SC1815GR transistors, 1N4148 diodes and panasonic (seemingly) caps. I don't know how Ibanez or Boutique can compete with these for the price.

The Ying Yang Tai Chi is slightly modded with MA150 diodes doubled up, TS9 output resistors and the fat mod, also has JRC 4558, 2SC1815GR transistors and panasonic (seemingly) caps.
JoyoVintageOverdrive.png
JoyoYingYangTaiChi.png
Enjoy