Danelectro - CTO2 Transparent Overdrive  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

earthtonesaudio wrote:
The Rotagilla wrote:
Agreed wrote:"Hi CarbonZinc9 - actually, I'm the interviewer, not Hank! But if it helps, Hank has based all these pedals on the sounds of classic and boutique units, from various manufacturers - pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit."

I'll be godfucked.
:shock: Balls. Huge ones. Prolly the biggest I've ever seen.
Big as pumpkins.
Up until June '08 the pedals were $105. I've just last month started working on my June orders which saw the price come up to $129. Hated to do it, but shipping along with parts costs have really come up a bunch. What's $129US in pounds?

Big green donkey balls...

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

90.4 pounds

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

Cow4prez wrote:90.4 pounds

So much for the "pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit."

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

paulc wrote:
So much for the "pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit."
I bought mine in July (when the exchange rate was more in our favour) from Tonefactor at the new price, and I think it worked out at just over £70 including postage. That's about the same price as a Boss OD3 in the UK, or £30 less than a Hardwire Overdrive
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Uma Floresta
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Uma Floresta »

Okay, maybe not so honest. :shock:

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

paulc wrote:

well, the problem is demand (hype on TGP, solid performance) and the supply (low, 6+ months wait list). The usually drives the prices on ebay. You know how it is. But he's being hyperbole-ous that's for sure.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

paulc wrote:
Up until June '08 the pedals were $105. I've just last month started working on my June orders which saw the price come up to $129. Hated to do it, but shipping along with parts costs have really come up a bunch. What's $129US in pounds?

Big green donkey balls...
All I know is that you build one hell of a great pedal...quality stuff that, IMO, you charge TOO LITTLE for. $150 for a Timmy is more than fair IMO...so even at $129 it;s a bargain.

Pedalpusher
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Pedalpusher »

I've got a Drive. I can't get a worthwhile pic with my phone cam but I was looking at the circuit a little. There is a TLO72. There are 2 diodes around the opamp so symetric clipping. The drive pot is 500k. The tone is 25k and the volume is 100k.
There is only one transistor and it's not before the opamp. I'm guessing a TS w/o an input buffer. I'll try to get my Daughter's camera and get some high res pics. Here's what I could get fwiw.

Pedalpusher
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Pedalpusher »

Here's a better pic. Thing is it doesn't sound like a TS.

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

i sent an email to the guy (the dano distributor in the UK) asking about what boutique (hate that word) pedals Linderman based the cool cats on. He sent this:

"Hi Paul

As the UK distributor only for Danelectro products, I'm afraid I unable to tell you what designs, if any, were used for the Cool Cat Pedal range."

So it's gone from "Hank has based all these pedals on the sounds of classic and boutique units, from various manufacturers - pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit." To "if anyway".

He's also now pulled that comment he made from the site. It looks like neg posts (not by me - I'm being good for legal reasons) are being pulled also.

Putz

Uma Floresta
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Uma Floresta »

paulc wrote:i sent an email to the guy (the dano distributor in the UK) asking about what boutique (hate that word) pedals Linderman based the cool cats on. He sent this:

"Hi Paul

As the UK distributor only for Danelectro products, I'm afraid I unable to tell you what designs, if any, were used for the Cool Cat Pedal range."

So it's gone from "Hank has based all these pedals on the sounds of classic and boutique units, from various manufacturers - pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit." To "if anyway".

He's also now pulled that comment he made from the site. It looks like neg posts (not by me - I'm being good for legal reasons) are being pulled also.

Putz
Wow, he's backtracking now. Lame, lame, lame.

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

Well, it's the distributor. How would he/she know anything about pedal designs?

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

Oh yeah, I noticed this on the other day, on the back of my friend's Cool Cat Vibe it says 'Patent Pending', or something like that. They're creating a patent on what?

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

They have patents for the design of most of their pedals, but not for the circuits...

http://www.google.com/patents?q=inassig ... ch+Patents

I saw those pages too and I was very disappointed, usually people in the music business are a bit more open minded...
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

Oh ok, patents for the aesthetic design. That I understand.

EDIT: OT: Discofreq, thank you for your top notch website. You've helped me catch some great deals so far ;)

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

DWBH wrote:Oh ok, patents for the aesthetic design. That I understand.

EDIT: OT: Discofreq, thank you for your top notch website. You've helped me catch some great deals so far ;)
Good to hear that :)

I'm preparing some other features (like most interesting new auctions of the last 24 hours) that already helped me a lot ;)
(using my own logic, not eBay's "top auctions")
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Pedalpusher wrote:Here's a better pic. Thing is it doesn't sound like a TS.

If you post up some pics of both sides of the board in a new thread we can get this one reversed fully too 8)

I am Klon.

Pedalpusher
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Pedalpusher »

briggs wrote:
Pedalpusher wrote:Here's a better pic. Thing is it doesn't sound like a TS.

If you post up some pics of both sides of the board in a new thread we can get this one reversed fully too 8)
It will be reversed! I just need to get a better camera. I'll try to get my Daughter's camera today. Meanwhile I'll try to use a magnifying glass to get some better pics.

snyder80
Information

Post by snyder80 »

Hi there!

Ok i am a victom of that cool-cat series-hype, so i could not resist and just bought the ct0-1and the OC-1 drive.
Its a little OT, but it isnt just a coincidence, that the OC-1 Drive looks like beeing in awhite case... :twisted:

i just opened it up and guess waht: the values and routing inside remembers heavily to a "pedal close to MarkM´s OVD" :horsey:

Btw: The HP/LP-type resistor is at 12k.

happy tweaking....

snyder80

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

snyder80 wrote:Hi there!

Ok i am a victom of that cool-cat series-hype, so i could not resist and just bought the ct0-1and the OC-1 drive.
Its a little OT, but it isnt just a coincidence, that the OC-1 Drive looks like beeing in awhite case... :twisted:

i just opened it up and guess waht: the values and routing inside remembers heavily to a "pedal close to MarkM´s OVD" :horsey:

Btw: The HP/LP-type resistor is at 12k.

happy tweaking....

snyder80
Cool, get some pictures too. We could have the whole series reversed soon :mrgreen:

I am Klon.