EHX - The Freeze

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Steven_M
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Steven_M »

I never buy pedals anymore, but after playing this one, I plunked down my money.

They haven't really advertised this, but in the instructions it says that you can adjust the slow speed to fade in and out different speeds.

Unplug power jack
Hold down footswitch
keep the footswitch held down, plug power back in
move mode switch

Up Fade in 200ms Fade out 400ms
Middle Fade in 200ms fade out 1.0 sec
Down Fade in 800ms fade out 3.2 Sec

Release the foot switch once you decide fade in/out times. According to the instructions it will retain whatever you set it at when you pull the plug.
DSC_0581.JPG
DSC_0581.JPG (37.6 KiB) Viewed 10279 times
DSC_0582.JPG
DSC_0584.JPG
DSC_0588.JPG
DSC_0588.JPG (76.1 KiB) Viewed 10279 times
I was looking for the grounding battery clip, and found it soldered to the back of the switch pcb. I really like that technique.
Also noteworthy, no blue 3pdt! Switch feels the same, but appears to be a SPDT using only two of the lugs.

Any questions? :D

Fender3D
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Fender3D »

:lol:
death on two lugs.... :horsey:

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Fender3D wrote:death on two lugs.... :horsey:
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

flood
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by flood »

in b4 "stripboard layout please!" :horsey:
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.

Xide88
Information

Post by Xide88 »

Seems not easy to repeat(((

Or maybe some ideas will come? :wink:

Steven_M
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Steven_M »

Xide88 wrote:Seems not easy to repeat(((

Or maybe some ideas will come? :wink:
I think it's pretty much impossible for most of us to repeat. My reason for posting is the same reason as when you buy a new car you pop the bonnet to have a look at the engine. You probably have no idea what you are looking at, but you cant take your eyes away from all of the tubes, valves and shiny chrome!

lufox15
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender
Completed builds: Rat, TS808, Microsynth, MT-2, MagnusModulus, Phase 90, WH10, Dynacomp, CE-2, SansAmp GT2, Envelope Filter, BMP, Fuzz Factory

Post by lufox15 »

Maybe a little delay or looper with attack delay and slow release, cross in and cross out, on the feedback, but in hold mode.
How works the pedal? if i play a string can hold the sound of a slide maybe? or hold just the inmediately the note that i play?
Saludos.
Sorry about my english.

PmCimini
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by PmCimini »

Where's the RAM?

lufox15
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender
Completed builds: Rat, TS808, Microsynth, MT-2, MagnusModulus, Phase 90, WH10, Dynacomp, CE-2, SansAmp GT2, Envelope Filter, BMP, Fuzz Factory

Post by lufox15 »

Maybe dont need a ram, is a delay with 50mS feedback

muki
Information

Post by muki »

PmCimini wrote:Where's the RAM?
To achieve the effect, you probably don't need more than a tenth or two of a second sampling time. Those DSP chips have enough SRAM on-board for such short sampling time.

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

It wouldn't be nice to have some "isnert" port to add pedals and processing only to the freezed portion of the signal, leaving the direct sound uneffected? As soon as the point where the two signals are mixed is found it could be a simple mod...

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

Reviving this necro-thread to chime in with Alex--that is, IMO, the difference between this pedal being a mildly useful novelty and a really powerful tool. It's really kind of silly that M. Matthews & Co. chose to leave out the obvious--the ability to send the frozen pad to a different signal chain.

But, it appears to be doable: http://axiomdrift.com/freezeloop.htm

So, since I am chicken of these kinds of challenges, who wants to be first to void the warranty and show us all the way? :horsey:

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Requires a mini trace of the switching. Requires an afternoon of fun for somebody with a multimeter probably.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

adielricci
Information
Completed builds: Tube Screamer, Tube sound Fuzz, Fuzz Face, Rebote Delay, OCD, Micro Amp, Distortion+, Super Hard-On, Dyna Comp, X-Grinder, RVIII Fuzz, WH10 Wah, Ultra Fuzz, RX+, and some others.

Post by adielricci »

Ben N wrote:Reviving this necro-thread to chime in with Alex--that is, IMO, the difference between this pedal being a mildly useful novelty and a really powerful tool. It's really kind of silly that M. Matthews & Co. chose to leave out the obvious--the ability to send the frozen pad to a different signal chain.

So, since I am chicken of these kinds of challenges, who wants to be first to void the warranty and show us all the way? :horsey:

Hi Ben, this link is dead, unfortunately. Has anyone got its text or the images (perhaps schematics)? I would really like to know how to work on my Freeze for a more useful effect, as our friend Alex has pointed out.

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

adielricci wrote:
Ben N wrote:Reviving this necro-thread to chime in with Alex--that is, IMO, the difference between this pedal being a mildly useful novelty and a really powerful tool. It's really kind of silly that M. Matthews & Co. chose to leave out the obvious--the ability to send the frozen pad to a different signal chain.

Hi Ben, this link is dead, unfortunately. Has anyone got its text or the images (perhaps schematics)? I would really like to know how to work on my Freeze for a more useful effect, as our friend Alex has pointed out.
Link worked fine for me.
I just repaired a broken Freeze I purchased on Ebay and the same thing occurred to me: effects loop for the Freeze would be extremely cool.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Ben N »

I just got the link today; it's fine. It may be blocked in your location, I don't know. Ben Miler ("Processaurus") made some useful suggestions about how to go about achieving this in the other forum. Basically, to break the connection of the wiper of the level pot to the board and take the wet signal from there to your loop send, and bring the return back to that spot on the board. When the loop is broken, leaves only the dry signal at the original output jack.

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Ben N »

What happened to being able to edit posts? That's Milner, with an "N."

adielricci
Information
Completed builds: Tube Screamer, Tube sound Fuzz, Fuzz Face, Rebote Delay, OCD, Micro Amp, Distortion+, Super Hard-On, Dyna Comp, X-Grinder, RVIII Fuzz, WH10 Wah, Ultra Fuzz, RX+, and some others.

Post by adielricci »

Sorry, friends, my bad. Something wrong with my modem firewall, I think. Apart from the substitution of the noisy switch, I think the mods can be achieved with external devices, without much hassle, and without modifying the Freeze. I use mine with a split signal chain.

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

Yes, Ben, I sa the answer at the "other place" and found it the easiest path. And perhaps the safe one!

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »