True Bypass Danelectro French Toast without rebuild ?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
terrydavis

Post by terrydavis »

Is it possible to true bypass a Danelectro French toast with out building a new box? Any easy diagrams or pics to walk me through such a project? Thanks, Terry

Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Post by Nocentelli »

It's not exactly an easy walk through, but Colin from Experimentalists Anonymous describes the general procedure for true bypassing Dano mini pedals here:

https://experimentalistsanonymous.com/bo ... opic=635.0

You could open yours up to see whether the instructions apply or not.

Two further options might include building a true bypass looper pedal (much easier than re-housing) or using a true bypass looper to check whether there is much advantage in true bypassing the pedal in the first place. I know buffered bypass interferes with fuzz-face type pedals, but other than that I cannot see much advantage in TB'ing such a pedal unless the "tone suck" is really noticeable (it often isn't).
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?

terrydavis

Post by terrydavis »

good advice. I've also seen the post you posted for me and thats just too difficult to understand for me and I've done a few of these. Thinking through the true bypass right now. thanks, Terry

AlexisG73

Post by AlexisG73 »

I’m looking to do a “always on” mod to my Danelectro BLT echo. I have already rehoused it and it works fine except I have to use a momentary switch to activate it in addition to the normal dpdt bypass. Is there a easy mod to where the pedal will always be on once power is applied? I have tried shorting the momentary switch but that didn’t work. I remember years back that someone had cut a trace maybe?
Thanks.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
my favorite amplifier

Stopped using amps mostly...

Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

AlexisG73 wrote:I’m looking to do a “always on” mod to my Danelectro BLT echo. I have already rehoused it and it works fine except I have to use a momentary switch to activate it in addition to the normal dpdt bypass. Is there a easy mod to where the pedal will always be on once power is applied? I have tried shorting the momentary switch but that didn’t work. I remember years back that someone had cut a trace maybe?
Thanks.
I would do it by disconnecting the flip-flop circuit from the 4053, and then hardwiring the 4053's switch pins to always be in the "effect on" state (whether those pins are low or high, I'm not sure without the schematic in front of me...assuming probably high?)
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran