Ibanez - Tubescreamer 12 Point Mod Kit

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

It´s really amusing which BS people write together to make money - here you go:
https://cgi.ebay.com/12-Point-TS10-TUBE ... 286.c0.m14
TS10 Tube Screamer Mod Kit

There are several things that sets this kit apart from all the others. First and foremost are the instructions; they are top notch with both a VIDEO as well as a PDF ~ both are complete containing a set of detailed yet concise instructions to complete this Mod is about 30 minutes. The PDF has step by step color photo's so that, even if you've never soldered before, or are not mechanically inclined, the instructions walk you right through it ~ I've enclosed a small sample here in this listing. Secondly, unlike other inferior mods, this is the most intensive kit you can buy, with a full 15 Point Modification that perfects the Tube Screamer sound. Thirdly, I worked to obtain the highest quality parts to ensure the best possible performance. Finally, installing this Kit adds $50+ to the value of your pedal! This Kit works for the TS9 & TS808 pedals.

Kits for other Tube Screamer Pedals:
TS5 Mod Kit TS9 Mod Kit

Parts List:
1) 10uf Tantalum Capacitor
2) 100 Ohm Carbon Comp Resistor
3) 10k Ohm Carbon Comp Resistor
4) 1uf Tantalum Capacitor
5) .047 Metal Film Capacitor
6) .047 Metal Film Capacitor
7) 2.2k Ohm Carbon Film Resistor
8 ) .1uf Metal Film Capacitor
9) .1uf Metal Film Capacitor
10) 1uf Metal Film Capacitor
11) 1uf Metal Film Capacitor
12) Short
13) Solder & De-soldering Braid
Since most TS10's have a stock Vintage JRC4558D Chip there is usually no need for a Chip Mod.
Really ? But I didn´t know that they have the desired Malaysian chip inside....
If yours happens to have the TA7558P Chip email me and I'll include a JRC4558D with your kit.
Better when you would include a Texas Instruments RC4558.....
TS808 Brown Mod
The original Tube Screamers were built to overdrive tube amps and this TS9 has been restored to the original TS-808 specs.
And the newer Tube Screamers are built for what ?
This mod changes both the inferior 470 ohm and the 100k ohm Carbon Film output resistors to 100 ohm and 10k ohm Carbon Composition output resistors for a warmer & quieter tone.
yes, yes....to use a carbon comp for the pull down resistor will do that - and who should believe that shit ?
Superior Gain Mod Mod
Changing the value of the 4.7k resistor to a 2.2k Resistor increases the gain. This Mod adds that extra bit of gain I always wanted while maintaining the clarity and diction of chords as well as individual notes.
The only problem with this mod is that you have to change the 47n to a 100n too to obtain the same frequency response.
High Fidelity/Clarity Mod
Changing two of the low quality stock polyester .047uF capacitors to higher quality Metal Film Capacitors....
Hmmm.... I am not aware of any polyester capacitor without a metal film on the polyester/polycarbonat (or whatever used) foil.... so let´s see what this guy is selling:
http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/e7/30/3c09_3.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/e6/e6/f3f9_3.JPG
Hey..... that are (metallized) polyester/polycarbonat film capacitors...
....makes for a tighter bottom and more fullness of tone throughout.
What ? At the low end there will not be any audible difference.
Also changing the 2 stock 1uf electrolytic capacitors to superior Metal Film Capacitors provides an overall clearer, more focused tone and adds some warmth to the gain structure.
clearer ....tone and ..... some warmth... :scratch: what mojo BS-talk....
Superior Output Mod The last capacitor in the signal path is vital to the tone of this model. Changing stock electrolytic 10uf output capacitor to a 10uf Tantalum Capacitor sweetens up the output nicely and clarifies the overall muddiness of the stock pedal.
...sweetens up the output.....and clarifies the muddiness.... :scratch: another mojo BS-talk...
Fat Mod
Changing two of the inferior stock .1uf polyester capacitors to superior metal film capacitors of a slightly different value fattens up the gain nicely.
In the component list are listed only two 0.1 µF capacitors (no different value) - which are in fact (metallized) polyester/polycarbonat film capacitors.
Bass Response
The stock Tube Screamer doesn't allow all of the bass frequencies to pass through. By changing the 470 ohm output resistor to a 100 ohm Carbon Comp resistor, this allows the full spectrum of bass frequencies to pass without altering or sacrificing the classic Tube Screamer sound.
That´s the biggest bullshit of all - there will not be any change in the bass response by changing the 470 Ohm resistor to a 100 Ohm resistor.
High End Response
By using a 100k ohm output resistor, the stock Tube Screamer allows a lot of noise to pass through your signal. By changing the 100k ohm resistor to a 10k ohm resistor, this mod limits the high end hiss as there are no usable guitar frequencies past 10k ohms.
No comment on this bullshit ....
It also helps to make the tone control more useful without altering the classic Tube Screamer sound.
And how this should influence the two times buffered tone control ?

ok...enough of this bullshit... my stomach is rebelling....

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

At least it comes with instructions. :lol:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I think I'll buy it.

:slap:

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

Hi,

Woohoo, that is some......................not saying exactly what but you can't eat it.

However, my personal favourite is the Keeley Metal Mod in which he replaces all resistors with metalfilm and all capacitors metalized polyester or metalcan tantalums.........
and due to all this metal you get a more Heavy Metal tone out of your TS..........

Woohoo, I can feel the weight. :hmmm:

Great one

Have more fun
BJ

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Noob.
I replaced the volume pots in my guitar with 10k ohms and got waaay more gain plus the sound was way more browner and clearer and fatter and tighter and warmer and colder!
Thousands of ohms of more better gain!

-not.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

didn't you know the human ear can only hear from 20-20K ohms? :wink:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I like my guitars to have 1kHz boosted 18db and everything else cut 18db. I also don't use 10k resistors in any of my pedals, cause you can't hear above that.

alteredsounds
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alteredsounds »

RnFR wrote:didn't you know the human ear can only hear from 20-20K ohms? :wink:
:lol: :lol:

jonnyxjuturna
Information

Post by jonnyxjuturna »

hot damn! Wheres mine?

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Hmmm....
Attachments
bullshit alert.gif
bullshit alert.gif (40.43 KiB) Viewed 2726 times

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

My recommendation for tuning a cheap mass produced FX :
Replace the cheap electrolytics with high end electrolytics (Sanyo OS-Con, Xicon ect.).
Replace the cheap output electrolytic with a Nichicon Muse ES or a similar quality cap.
Replace all coupling caps with Panasonic metal film caps or WIMA MKS2.

JHS