TUBES : Valvecaster

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Muzzatron5000
Information

Post by Muzzatron5000 »

Hey there.

Ive been really getting into making some valve-casters lately. A good lock-down hobby! :-)

So have been searching for nice tubes seeing whats out there. I found 12AU7(A)s to be really nice. Got some old stock.
Sounds like 12AUX doesnt work so well according to some folks.

I tried a new 12au7 Electro Harmonix but wasn't as nice. Got too dirty in the wrong places. So I am guessing the 12AU7(A) is nice because it's slightly different lower microphonic specs. ?
(Or are vintage tubes smoother sounding? Maybe?)

Anyway, I found this page to be really useful if anyone is looking or interested in spending hours looking around for the perfect valve caster tube.
or trying to remember and decipher model numbers
or wishing someone sold a variety pack of vintage NOS Russian tubes! ;-)

https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-ba ... 2au7-tube/
Attachments
IMG_4757.jpeg
IMG_4757.jpeg (349.08 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
IMG_4997 (1).jpeg
IMG_4997 (1).jpeg (373.91 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi Muzzatron,

It must be taken into account that this design employ this valve in very marginal conditions since it was not designed or tested to work with 9 volts of supply.

For this reason, tubes like the 12AT7 and 12AX7 don't sound good on a valvecaster.
In the same way, the difference between several 12AU7s from different origin or year of manufacture can be very noticeable.

You can try the implementation presented by this manufacturer and whose schematic diagram appears on the last page of the user manual that you can download from this link:
https://www.hagamps.com/collections/ped ... oost-pedal

It seems to be an improvement over the traditional valvecaster (if what this manufacturer says is true... :roll: )

Cheers,
Jose

Muzzatron5000
Information

Post by Muzzatron5000 »

Hey Jose, I see what you mean. I guess I was thinking how my own version of the pedal sounds which based on the Matsumin /Beavis Audio schematic that circulates the internet.
I can see what you are saying, it's the sum of the parts that makes the pedal, not just the tube.

Yeah that Hagerman pedal sounds good. Would like to hear are more trad style guitar through it. :-) Might have a look at their schematic.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Muzzatron5000 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 10:46Might have a look at their schematic.
Hi muzza,

The schematic belonging the Hagerman version does not differs radically from the standard valvecaster topology and deserve to be breadboarding, I think.

Cheers,
Jose

Muzzatron5000
Information

Post by Muzzatron5000 »

That's a good idea. I made a print out of the schematic and have been looking over it. Though, I am still a little slow with straight up schematics.
My brain takes a while to get it. :-)