BAJA Sagittarian Charger (mini KLON)  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
box
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by box »

soulsonic wrote:Be sure and use an ICL7660S. The "S" means it's the 12v version! No power supply worries with that one. :wink:
Hi,
My few words:
Operating voltage range for ICL7660 ---1.5V to 10.0V
ICL7660A--1.5V to 12.0V,
but important is oscillator frequency :
ICL7660 ----10kHz
ICL7660S---35kHz ( Cosc=0, PIN1=V+)
With "S" there is no interference with audio range.
Best regards,
box

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

With any other version than the "S" you will get an audible whine....

I am Klon.

rhinson
Information

Post by rhinson »

so the topography is essentially the same as the first/longstanding schemo, but there were a lot of wrong values and some additions on front and rear of the circuit. so this one could be built on the initial pcb board layout?---i still have a blank board i etched a few months back and never used. thanks rh

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

rhinson wrote:so the topography is essentially the same as the first/longstanding schemo, but there were a lot of wrong values and some additions on front and rear of the circuit. so this one could be built on the initial pcb board layout?---i still have a blank board i etched a few months back and never used. thanks rh
Yeah I was curious as to which layout to use... as there are now a few in this thread.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

layout scmlayout - just use the new verified component values and you will hear the KLON for the first time!!!
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

OK Baja.. you're the boss!!!
I actually have to order some ICs- I've got a fistful of Max1044's but I want to make sure I get it EXACT, otherwise why bother???

rhinson
Information

Post by rhinson »

i just pulled the old wrong values off the old layout and made the value changes and the front and rear end changes. even though i didn't have a couple of the exact right values this time around the build sounds very close to what i remember the real deal sounding like. i have buddy with one and will a/b it when i get the chance. one problem i'm having though is a big pop when switching in either direction and i have no idea why since there is a 100k to ground on the output. any ideas here or have others experienced this with their builds? rh

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

OK, I've got all my parts in stock... but I have a question: I've never done anything with buffered I/O before. how do I wire up the footswitch? Does anyone have a guide illustrating how the switch should be wired?

Thanks!

AG

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I've never done anything with buffered I/O before. how do I wire up the footswitch?
Okay - easy enough.
connect the midlle pin of the footswitch to the output socket, then connect the effect output to one of the remaining two pins on the footswitch.
finally - connect the BUFFER out to the remaining footswitch pin.
All done :wink: ( no input switching is required :wink: )
cheers
bajaman

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

The IN on the board is coming directly from the input jack?
Sub question... how would I do it with a DPDT footswitch??? Thats all I've got on hand.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

The IN on the board is coming directly from the input jack?
correct :thumbsup
how would I do it with a DPDT footswitch???
Okay - just use one half, or the three pins along one side of the switch.
You can use the other side of the switch to turn the effect indicator LED on or off. :wink:

cheers
bajaman

95strat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 95strat »

I've been putting together a parts list from the schematic...man have a learned a lot from just doing that!

So where are you guys getting your parts? I've had luck with Mouser finding all resistors but one. As well as the OA TL072CP. They don't carry Panasonic caps so I'm screwed there. I'm new to all of this...please pardon my ignorance.

What is D1? It just says "red". Wasn't sure how to interpret that. And the footswitch...is it DPDT?

Thanks for the help in advance.

guiltyspark
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by guiltyspark »

Try Digikey for the Panasonics and power chip-

Guiltyspark

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

What is D1? It just says "red". Wasn't sure how to interpret that. And the footswitch...is it DPDT?
It is a red light emiting diode or LED for short - indicator light to tell you when the effect is on!!!
DPDT = Double Pole Double Throw - it is a footswitch with six contact pins, although you can use a TPDT = triple pole Double Throw (9 pins) as well - just ignore 3 pins :wink:
cheers
bajaman

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

All the parts can be had from DigiKey. I actually think that Klon sources all their components from DigiKey, because the Centaur uses a bunch of parts that are easily gotten there, but not from other popular distributors.

Another note; please pay attention to the lead spacing of the different caps. I had initially thought all the film caps were ECQ-B series, but the higher values of that series are too physically large - as you can see in the Klone I built. I think the larger values might be of the "V" series. At any rate, they are all Panasonic "brownies".
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

sergedeep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sergedeep »

I could be wrong, but if I remember well, the larger values of the "V" series are also physically large

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

The diodes are orientated wrong :) Mine had -8V on the V+ section
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

95strat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 95strat »

Thanks Baja and GS. I updated my parts list and sent it to SoulSonic to look at. I'll be glad to post the list I have, but don't want to waste the space if you guys don't need it. The caps are the only thing in question for me. Oh yeah, and the Carling 316P footswitch. Why is that thing so expensive? :shock:

Thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to do the build. Just a little shy about making an order and getting the wrong parts. :oops:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

The diodes are orientated wrong Mine had -8V on the V+ section
No - they are shown correct on my revision 2 layout and correct in soulsonic's schematic.
The -8v supply (from pin 5 of the charge multiplier IC) connects to pin 4 of the second TL072 opamp - this is also correct.
Sorry, but I do not understand what your problem is :scratch:
bajaman

guiltyspark
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by guiltyspark »

My Build compares nicely with an original Klon. Not identical but close enough. Baja and Soulsonic should be applauded for their hard work and willingness to share. Morecowbell started the ball rolling, so kudo's to him too. His schem was actually pretty close, best we had at the time. The klon is kind of "the mother of all boutiques" to me, correct info is a big deal.

I would like to know AG's thoughts on the corrected schem, if any info was posted I didn't see it.

Guiltyspark