Mighty Nut - JFet simulation of a Powerball lead channel

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

So... On the other forum somebody posted his JFet version of a SLO-100, that made me decide to post my adventures with the Powerball lead stage in pedalform.

But.

In a weird way, I feel much more at home at FSB than at the DIYSB, even with my lowly 7 posts (and counting)... So I decided to post it here, oh well.

Anyway, I did a 1:1 conversion of the Aznaur Mod2 (with Powerball values, of course). I've only made it on perfboard, afterwards I finished the PCB design where I also eliminated the bridges but never got around to etch and test it.
As it is, it fits in a 1590B easily (which I did, see below) and I put a full tonestack in it too, labeled according to the Nut theme. However, I never got the tonestack to sound satisfying. Probably needs scaling down as well? I left it at the high (noisy) pot values and I probably got some log/lin things wrong. So tonight I cut out the tonestack ad fed it directly from the coupling capacitor into a clean channel tubeamp, that worked *much* better. It might need a buffer (extra JFet) at the end and something like SWTC or BMP tonestack.As for the enclosure, haven't had time yet to make a decent etch so it's r^Htape time!

Why Mighty Nut?
A Mighty Nut is a very Powerful Ball :D

On to the schematic and pics:

1200 dpi PCB: (not mirrored!) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17081629/mighty_nut/pcb.png
Component placement on the PCB: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17081629/mighty ... ukking.png

For those interested, the Eagle files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17081629/mighty ... %20Nut.sch
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17081629/mighty ... %20Nut.sch

What does it sound like? Br00tal. Not really Powerball, a bit 'blander'. No soundfiles yet, until a friend comes by who feels more confident in putting their shitty playing online :)

jimosity
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jimosity »

Interesting. The Engl Powerball is one head that I've always kicked myself for parting with.
I'ma have to try this out.

FYI: Wrong link on one of the eagle files. Change one of them to have a .brd extension and it seems to work.

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

Hmpf you're right. Can't edit it anymore, this is the correct link indeed: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17081629/mighty ... %20Nut.sch

I get what you're saying. Whatever I do and combine and whatever amp I'm testing, I always come back to my Powerball. This Mighty Nut is part of a try to get it all down to a pedalboard (including a EHX 44 Magnum) so I alway carry my sound with me (preferably by bike) without getting a hernia, but so far I've been unable to replicate it. In process: all-tube-HV-pedal-version of this channel, maybe a SMD version of this JFET simulation.

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

And I completely forgot tot add: JFETs are J201's, biased a little bit above 1/2 VCC. Kept them at around 5V for a 9V power supply.

jimosity
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jimosity »

haha.
Still not the right link to the Eagle board.
This should be it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17081629/mighty ... %20Nut.brd

By the way, thanks for posting the Eagle files; I like to move thing around.

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

While I didn't really do much with the JFET stuff above after posting it (still trying to shoehorn the original tube version of the lead channel in a 1590BB), I did discover the AMT Legend series. Product page: http://www.amtelectronics.com/products/ ... eries/e-1/

I bought the E-1 last week, here are some pics of the insides:
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1708162 ... 1?h=59d5e6

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

Cool... Im a gain freak- o I'll give this a go next time I etch a batch. 1 quick question- how is the 22-23-2041 wired up? I like the concept of using those- but where do they go... I cant make it out?

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

audioguy wrote:Cool... Im a gain freak- o I'll give this a go next time I etch a batch. 1 quick question- how is the 22-23-2041 wired up? I like the concept of using those- but where do they go... I cant make it out?
Oh sorry, it's the tonestack pots, wired like in this one:
I'll have to look up the values when I get home, but you could just as well change them to your favourite FMV tonestack values.
From the treble-wiper you'll probably need a cap as well for getting rid of the DC.

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

Yeah I figured they were the tone stack... thanks for the clues!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

thanks muchly...so high gain in the dr. boogey/diefet territory, or the bsiab/jcm territory?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

elkulon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by elkulon »

Nice work!!!!
I wonder... Did you work with the real amp schematic and put the original values, or you made some mods...???
Which channel would this be???

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

board_bestukking.png
Got a few requests for the 404'd eagle files, here they are!
Attachments
Mighty Nut.sch
(246.34 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

... and the .brd which fell off the post since I can't seem to attach .brd files?!?
Attachments
Mighty Nut.brd.zip
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

I've breadboarded this one so here's quick and dirty demo with a DI track. Three gain settings, 9-12-15 o'clock. 4x12 Mesa cab IR. Soundcloud.

T.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Most of the Engl amps are relatively the same in the preamp section with the exception of the tone stacks. The Power Ball has the Open/Focus mid range voicing and it has a noise gate starting before the tone stack and outputs just before the fx loop. There is no cathode follower/buffer before the tone stack on any of the Engl amps as far as I know.

But, who gives a shit if it sounds good, then it is good! :twisted: