Ersatz Verben - PT2399 pseudo reverb

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

[quote="audioguy"]just finished this one and its a little dark, rolls off a lot of high ends. I swapped C7 and C1 for .047, not much help. Should I try smaller, or is this just going to be dark?

I think this is the limit of this architecture... my crap-fi delay has got the same problem.

Smaller input and output caps won't cure this; you can add an input buffer, I am working on it for the delay and it seem to get better, but I have not boxed it yet (just breadboarded once with good results).

Try increasing R3 to 100K; you will get a strongher signal and probably some (unwanted?)distortion. I had somewat better results with a 50K mix pot, nothing to scream about but a little better.

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

Changed values again, C1 to .022 and C7 to .01 and its usable now. Still rounds the highs off a bit, but no longer in an un-natural way.

allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

Hey, you are on the breadboard right now, aren't you?

I will try those values as soon as I can.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

I don't think it's all that dark with the stock values, but maybe it's my gear.

Since the the second low-pass filter in the chip isn't being used, the wet signal needs some pretty heavy low-pass filtering to keep it from sounding all "low-fi". If you like that kind of sound, you can reduce all the filter caps' values.

Specifically, C6 sets the "minimum" roll-off when the delay time pot is at minimum. C4 starts to kick in as the Delay pot resistance increases. So you can also lower the value of that to make it less dark.

allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

Well, tonite I tried a 22nF input cap and I liked it. Maybe it was a little too light, 33nF? A positive effect of the smaller input cap is that it does not distort even if you hit hard on the strings (but I use single coils).
I left the standard 100nF output cap by the way.
Anyway I plan to continue testing using the secon Opamp as input buffer because the effect seem to be more forgiving for other effect placement... right now I put it first in the fx chain because with some (unbuffered) dirt boxes I experience some weird behaviour; but I will try lower input caps too, it seem to be a good (and unexpected to me) way to move.

ThePastRecedes
Information

Post by ThePastRecedes »

Hey,

I'm planning to build this too. I've done a perfboard layout.

I think it should be okay but anyone else care to check it before I go ahead?

thanks!

Troll_face
Information
Completed builds: 6n2p valvecaster, bazz fuss, boiling point overdrive, silicon fuzz face, plexi drive, germanium green muff, rust driver, les lius

Post by Troll_face »

culturejam wrote:My 2-sided layout is now verified.

Attached is a photo taken with my iPhone. Big camera batteries mysteriously died. :hmmm:

cheapverb_pcb1.jpg
Wow, Culturejam, that pcb looks awesome. Where did you buy it from?

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

I think there's a loss of volume.
Anyone know any way or if this buffer can help?

grateful

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

This also has another buffer of IvIark

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

I just did some tests and amz worked well before effect
Attachments
amz_JFET_Buffer_LAYOUT.gif
amz_JFET_Buffer_LAYOUT.gif (9.09 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

friedtransistor
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshal Class v
Completed builds: Mad Professor Deep Blue delay, Mark Hammer's Chaos Fuzz, and an overdrive for my friend at church.

Post by friedtransistor »

Excuse me, but could you please post a schematic that I can copy to Word? The pic is either blank or just shows the link to it...
For all you starwars fans...

Sorry, downsized by request.

Did I mention I love bass?

Oddball
Information

Post by Oddball »

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I figured it would be better for help than a new one.

I just built an Ersatz, but opted for a higher delay time pot (100k).

It's working fine, sounds interesting and all of that.... but I'm only getting one, single repeat. No matter where the feedback knob is, it's just one single repeat.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve that to get the full feedback/repeats? I've followed the vero layouts posted, and like I said, it's working entirely otherwise - delay time works fine, as does mix. It's just the feedback that seems ineffective.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get feedback working!