Open Source CAD: Shoot The Moon Tremolo

Original effect designs complete with verified schematics, layouts and instructions. All project were freely contributed by members and cannot be used for commercial purposes without consent of the respective owners of the copyright.
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

This optical tremolo is based on the excellent Tremulus Lune circuit by 4MS/CommonSound. The audio path is very similar, but the LFO has been simplified to three controls: Speed, Depth, and Shape (wave shape). The power supply section has also been overhauled to provide better electrical isolation between the LFO and the audio portions of the circuit, and both sections are physically isolated as well. The result is a dead-­quiet tremolo that goes from sine-ish wave to almost square wave (that is, smooth to choppy). There is also a Gain control so that the output of the circuit can be set for unity gain; or it could be used as a boost, if desired.

Eagle files are attached so that anyone can have some boards fabricated. :thumbsup

These files are provided with absolutely no support from me. Do with them as you will, but that's your business, so don't make it mine.

This layout is verified. The schematic is also included so that an enterprising youngster might make mods himself/herself. The format is Eagle CAD 5. I encourage people interested in learning Eagle to download the files and have a go at modifying things.
STM-Eagle.zip
(19.07 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
STM_PCB.png
STM_PCB.png (23.12 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

STM_V1_Schematic.png
STM_V1_Schematic.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 1764 times

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

:thumbsup

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Hi, nice circuit! What's the speed range of the lfo?

Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

juanro wrote:What's the speed range of the lfo?
I don't have any technical specs for you, but it goes from very fast to moderately slow. I used the same LFO for modulation on a delay, and I found that to get it to go slow enough for a chorus type sound, I need to increase the Speed pot to 500K.

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Ok, I'm asking because I'm working on a LFO and I'm gathering all the info I can, to know what a "sensible" LFO range would be.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

juanro wrote:Ok, I'm asking because I'm working on a LFO and I'm gathering all the info I can, to know what a "sensible" LFO range would be.
I think it needs to be able to go really slow for time/pitch modulation effects (and phaser). Tremolo is not so useful at really slow speeds. At least not to me.

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

If "really slow" = 0.1Hz = 10 seconds cycle, I nailed it. Keep an eye on the contest folder, non-dirt :wink:

Juanro

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Back on topic; sorry if this is something obvious, but why open source cad? is the software you used to design the pcb open source? Is it Eagle? I haven't used it.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

I use the term "Open Source" to indicate that the files are posted here, free for anyone to use for any purpose. So essentially, the "source code" for the PCB is posted and released similar to how open source software would be. People can use it as is, redistribute it, or modify it for their own needs.

All you need to do to have some boards fabricated is email the BRD file to board house (or use their CAM process to output Gerber files through Eagle).

Quietus
Information

Post by Quietus »

here's a vero layout i just did based on the schematic for anyone interested. unverified still. could anyone kindly go over it to see if i missed anything?

Attachments
culturejam's Shoot The Moon Tremolo.gif

elrengofa
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by elrengofa »

i have lots of eagle files , can i share them here?

ch1naski
Information
my favorite amplifier: Dr Z Maz 18, Tone King Metropolitan
Completed builds: Veroboard: Rangemaster /w Range pot, "69" fuzz face, Octavia with tone cap switch.

PCB: Madbean Wah, One Knob Fuzz.

Failures: Clean Octave Blend

Post by ch1naski »

Quietus wrote:here's a vero layout i just did based on the schematic for anyone interested. unverified still. could anyone kindly go over it to see if i missed anything?

just to be clear.... r6 and r9 are 1k opto-resistors?

warioblast
Information

Post by warioblast »

Is there a vibrato mod ?

BaklavaMetal
Information

Post by BaklavaMetal »

Hi, i've a question, if anyone knows
If i want to omit LFO indicator LED, can just omit it, or I need to do something with those two 1k resistors at pins 6/7 of IC2?
Thank you