Shin-ei/Univox Uni-Vibe [Replica Files]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I would love to get feedback from Fastocker about that values. To me it looks like factory mods to existing units so the "WRONG" word in capslock is exaggerated ;) All three versions may be right. To be honest - after I did these files I moved on and did no more research. To many fine vintage units to dig into to stay focused on one subject only

One more question. Where can I get a copy of your CD? It's hard to listen to your music outdoor on my ipod :D

Fastocker
Information

Post by Fastocker »

Hey guys, I'm usually a bit tied up with work and such on weekdays but I'm going to try to go through the circuit and will post component values as soon as I can. In fact I'd like to do it with both of my U-V units as both seem to have some minor value differences from published schematics. Just give me a little time and I'll post as soon as I can.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Fastocker wrote:Hey guys, I'm usually a bit tied up with work and such on weekdays but I'm going to try to go through the circuit and will post component values as soon as I can. In fact I'd like to do it with both of my U-V units as both seem to have some minor value differences from published schematics. Just give me a little time and I'll post as soon as I can.

Thanks Fastocker,

PM me your email info. I'll send you editable DIYLCv3 files with my UV project. Hopefully I will make your job easier

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

sinner wrote: - Trimmer... AFAIR I didn't fallow original Univibe scale, and I draw my layout with Piher PT series trimmers in mind. I'm not sure which ones was that, PT10, or PT15 (more likely), check datasheet. If your in Europe Conrad Electronics is the way to source them

If you like I can redraw it to accept any trimmer type you want
My bad :oops:

Transfer/layout files on my website are scaled for vintage type of trimmer - simply, it's close to exact replica. It's big, unusual type that is impossible to buy newdays AFAIK.

I did the layout with Piher PT15 type trimmer for my personal use (Beedotman boards are also with them in mind).

Transfer file with PT15's are attached to this message

Volk
Information

Post by Volk »

Hello everyone!
Sorry that I not responded to private messages - i have no time for my guitar DIY projects and I now live in another country. But i had some days to finish my Univibe and you can see it on pic.
I really glad to see that another FSB members doing now more accurate, more quality and more crazy projects, than my. Now we have much more information about this "big woodoo box":))) Answers for all questions you can find in this thread, but if you cant - p.m. me and I will try to help.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I dont want to sound dicky, but why PM's? Did I distributed my files by private messages? Well, i could, possibly I will one day, but for now most of things I ever done, discovered, measured, learned on other places landed here. Forum is to exchange information, lets keep it that way. We all are here to learn

vintagecharlie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by vintagecharlie »

wow, after that thing is painted, it will look pretty much spot on... fantastic job - inside and out, Volk... If at any point you have time to record or share a link to a sound clip, i would be really curious...

Fastocker
Information

Post by Fastocker »

That looks BEAUTIFUL, Volk!

I had a chance to trace my early Uni-Vibe this evening so here are the values. I used Sinner's original factory diagram and marked any value differences in white. I included flipping the polarity on C6 and C17 per Rama. No trimpot on this one, just the jumper. And the 'ghosted' 5nF shown near C7 just means it's soldered to the bottom of the board (i.e., 10nF and 5nF in parallel). One odd value that jumped out was R50 at 200K.

I listed AC voltage coming into the board and the DC voltage going to the lamp as well. Enjoy!

Attachments
Fastocker-Early-Univibe.pdf
(65.13 KiB) Downloaded 796 times

Volk
Information

Post by Volk »

sinner wrote:I dont want to sound dicky, but why PM's? Did I distributed my files by private messages? Well, i could, possibly I will one day, but for now most of things I ever done, discovered, measured, learned on other places landed here. Forum is to exchange information, lets keep it that way. We all are here to learn
Hey, sinner,
I absolutely agree with you, we must to share and discuss all in this thread, not at P.M. But we doing it right now and all members absolutely helpful and tell us all they know.
If anyone want ask anything at P.M. it is also no problem - we can answer:)
For that thread I can only add a PCB board drawing in CATIA and DXF for CNC machining and my file in CorelDraw for face plate. They made by me, but sizes are approximated and must be corrected, if i made mistake. I can sent it to you by email for add on turretboard.org for everyone.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Drop them in here please, Im sure many guys will love it

marjodp
Information

Post by marjodp »

As there is no accurate information about the enclosure I tried to make something like the original one. It's just the beginning...

Measurements are from different images which I found using google, so they aren't exact.

I made it using SketchUp. I'm learning how to use it, so... :D

I have attached images and a project file for SketchUp.
Attachments
Uni-Vibe's enclosure project.zip
(8.28 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Uni-Vibe enclosure project 4.png
Uni-Vibe enclosure project 4.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
Uni-Vibe enclosure project 3.png
Uni-Vibe enclosure project 2.png
Uni-Vibe enclosure project 1.png

Volk
Information

Post by Volk »

sinner wrote:Drop them in here please, Im sure many guys will love it
Files are heavy and take about 6 mb.

This is my enclosure size:

This is corrected by Fastrocker:

Volk
Information

Post by Volk »

My fabrication files
Attachments
Univibe PCB and front plate by Volk.rar
(116.18 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
Plate09.rar
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 506 times

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Awesome! :thumbsup

ramaclaproth
Information

Post by ramaclaproth »

Fastocker wrote:That looks BEAUTIFUL, Volk!

I had a chance to trace my early Uni-Vibe this evening so here are the values. I used Sinner's original factory diagram and marked any value differences in white. I included flipping the polarity on C6 and C17 per Rama. No trimpot on this one, just the jumper. And the 'ghosted' 5nF shown near C7 just means it's soldered to the bottom of the board (i.e., 10nF and 5nF in parallel). One odd value that jumped out was R50 at 200K.

I listed AC voltage coming into the board and the DC voltage going to the lamp as well. Enjoy!

[ Image ]
Great one Fastrocker! For R50, 200K are for units that have no trimpots. Also the values for C13 and C16 on yours are the "Shin Ei values". IF you had C13 for 4n7 OR for 5nF, and C16 for 470pF those are the "Honey values".

vintagecharlie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by vintagecharlie »

Hi folks,

to make this short: i'm looking for the closest modern equivalent to the old LDR's used in the original Honey univibe - does anyone have info on the original's specs/measurements or can anyone confirm a successfull repair with replaced modern repros that seemed to keep the tone untouched? A more detailed story below:

i'm gathering parts for my vibe build and i'm looking for proper LDR's for an authentic reproduction of the original. Does anyone actually have approximate specs of the originals? All i have found is a post on ampgarage, where a member said that Mike Fuller had once said (as you see, this is not exactly "first hand" info :D ) on a message group that original Univibe ldr's went as high as 10-12megs of dark resistance, but he wasn't sure as it was from memory. From what i read, the bigger the resistance bandwidth from light to dark, the stronger effect you can get. But still, it would be great if anyone could shed some light on orignal LDR measurements, if not specs.
Occasionally the original's part number is quoted as: MXY-7BX4, but i have no idea if that is correct.

So, from what i understand, in order to utilize this big light/dark resistance bandwidth (or a big part of it at least), say from 10k-10meg, the cells need short rise/fall times. The smallest times i've seen are the PerkinElmer VT series of Type 3 material (i suppose CDS?), which is 35 and 5ms @1ftc. The other company that has lots of cells that might fit the univibe purpose well are the Silonex ones, which you can get in the 10k-10meg range and even in the hermetically sealed package as the originals, but for the love of God, i can't find no mention of their rise and fall times ANYWHERE, as they are not listed in their specsheets. Has anyone got a link for rise/fall time info on say NSL-7530 (10k-6.7m) or similar?
The bigger resistance bandwidth might be useless if they happen to have long rise/fall time as this would reduce the useable range, right?

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the long post,

Karlis

vintagecharlie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by vintagecharlie »

p.s. also, what is the diameter of the original hermetically sealed LDR's? The original bulb looks like about 5mm and the cells about 10mm, is this correct?

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

Volk, what kind of files are those? :slap: Can you post in a format I can see or what program you use to view to the files?
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

Why no edit button? aaaaaaggggh!
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.

vintagecharlie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by vintagecharlie »

Volk mentioned this in regard to the attached files: For that thread I can only add a PCB board drawing in CATIA and DXF for CNC machining and my file in CorelDraw for face plate.