Shin-ei/Univox Uni-Vibe [Replica Files]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Gmijs
Information

Post by Gmijs »

Could anyone tell me the dimsions of this pcb https://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc1 ... 657ab0.png ?

Plexibuilder
Information

Post by Plexibuilder »

OK here's where I'm at,
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_6246.jpg

stg44
Information

Post by stg44 »

Okay,

After a good night on Pro Engeneer, here the final, ready to manufacture !

I'm pretty proud of this one :D :D

Gmijs
Information

Post by Gmijs »

stg44 wrote:Okay,

After a good night on Pro Engeneer, here the final, ready to manufacture !

[ Image ]

I'm pretty proud of this one :D :D
Could you please tell me the dimensions and distances for the holes, and the dimensions and height of the box too? :)

Manc
Information
my favorite amplifier: Hiwatt DR103
Completed builds: MKII
SHO
RED LLAMA
OCD
SUPER DUPER
FUZZ FACTORY
METHEAD
BOX OF ROCK
PLEXI 800

Post by Manc »

Necrobump!
Does anyone have a source for the white and red rocker switch?
I'm about to fork out £10 for a C&k rocker, only it's black... is there any other option?

KevinMitchell
Information
my favorite amplifier: Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: What haven't I built?

Post by KevinMitchell »

Love this project. I've been collecting the parts and have not decided if I should build the small board and cram it into a 1590DD enclosure w/ wall wart or go BIG and do a true replica - though I can't seem to find the original/full transfer file, only the layout.

So!.... Where can I find a Univibe box w/ plate? I'm probably going to have enough trouble making the light shield I can't imagine working up my own enclosure - metal shop class was so long ago lol.

I'm sure I'll have a blast sourcing the knobs, switch and pilot light assembly if I go that route. Though I can't find the appropriate copper clad board anywhere. I have everything else with the transistors on the way.

Any advice would be great. And if anyone here has a spare box or a place where I can order one please let me know! Shoot me an email/msg.

Thanks guys. This is probably my 2nd post on the forum. The hype over projects here is fantastic.

warioblast
Information

Post by warioblast »

KevinMitchell
Information

Post by KevinMitchell »

I guess I may have to. The other day I was searching for an order section on their site. Thought maybe I'd need some kind of approval or raw files for fabrication.

I'll shoot them an email later and hope the price is right.

KevinMitchell
Information

Post by KevinMitchell »

Quick update; Etched the small board last night. Did a mock-board population to get an idea on the hardware spacing. I think the 1590DD may just work out! With a wallwart xfmr of course. The enclosure layout would be inspired by the Supra Vibe shown towards the begining of the thread.

I may do another one in the future when I'm more comfortable dropping the cash on a true replica project - enclosure, foot pedal and all.
Should have the transistors in ~mid May. So I shall return with an update! :D

KevinMitchell
Information

Post by KevinMitchell »

Wow. So only a week later and the board is already done :o
Just have to build the light shield tonight and I'll put up a sound clip/video. The thing worked flawlessly when I fired it up last night. It's safe to say the small board layout by beedotman on P13 is now verified. I wanted to share my BOM vendor list and notes for anyone looking to pursue the project.

BOM
SmallBear;
Silonex T05 Photocells
Pots (50kB, 100kC dual, 100kA)
9mm trim pots (500, 250k)
18v AC Wallwart

Tayda;
Green Polyfilm caps (15n, 220n)
Ceramic disk caps (330p, 470p, 4n7)
1N4001 diodes
*They seem to stock 6x6 Phenolic PCBs

Allied;
Electrolitic caps
1/2w Ohmite Carbon Composite Resistors

Mouser;
12V lamp (JKL 2174)
Resistor values n/a on Allied

Ebay;
2SC539 - could use 2n5088 or similar EBC pin NPN
2SC828-R (R range apposed to the mentioned Q range)
BC183-L (3 for LFO, L prefix is for ECB pinout)

BLMS;
Jacks
Toggle
Knobs
1590DD enclosure
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You could cut the vendor list down a couple but my choices were based on most appropriate parts as well as saving money where I could. All part values are per the standard classic univibe.

And by the way... protocase will not send price quotes on someone else's product. I would need to submit a design myself.

KevinMitchell
Information

Post by KevinMitchell »

Just some photos for now. I'll have time to box it up next week.

warioblast
Information

Post by warioblast »

Hi guys,
I upgraded my forum vibe with a 186C28 Hammond transformer and I have a hum / motorboating problem.

There is a slight hum when the pedal is connected. With the cancel switch disengaged it gets louder as the LFO kicks in, and even louder when switched on. More volume = more hum. Speed & intensity 'control' the motorbating.

I lifted the earth connexion from the IEC socket and it didn't changed a thing. I measured my Qs voltages and they were OK. I have 17.50V after the diode. I was worried I messed up with the board because I change the values to the Honey specs.

Here's when it gets tricky. I decided to power the pedal with my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power, using a DIY cable and alligator clips. I fed the circuit with 18.5V right after the diode. THE VIBE IS QUIET AS A VIBE CAN BE. The good news is I didn't screw up the board and the debugging won't involve flipping the board.

With the transformer back in, I switched the primary wirings, it did nothing.
I wil try to disconnect the status LED, move the transformer around, though my build is relatively tight.
And after that I'll be out of ideas.

warioblast
Information

Post by warioblast »

I'm about to give up. :(
I tried different bypass wirings, deconnecting the LEDs, the cancel switch, changing ground wires locations.
I took the transformer out of the enclosure, untwisted the primary wires, changing the orientation of the transformer, moved it farther. :evil:
It didn't change a thing.

cellchains
Information

Post by cellchains »

Good morning everyone, by chance someone would have this file to make available, no encounter anywhere would be a turretboard file on the univibe ldr - UV_light_shield_tempate.pdf

I'm grateful if anyone has, I'll be very happy.
Thank you !!

jamin_gwee
Information

Post by jamin_gwee »

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
Here is my DIY Univibe build, built and designed by yours truly from nothing but image references from the internet. Using the known dimensions of the now discontinued Miyama DS-013 Red/white toggle as a reference, I was able to derive the overall dimensions of the vintage 1968-1970s U-915 Univibe using CAD. The unit measures about 270mm x 155mm x 86mm excluding rubber feet and knobs. Anyone with a vintage Univibe, please let me know how far off I am from the original dimensions as I don't own an original Univibe.

This build is a combines the best features of the classic U-915 Honey/Shin-ei Univibe, its older brother the Honey Vibra Chorus, and the modern day resurrected Shin-ei Vibe-Bro. It features a True-Bypass 3PDT foot switch that bypasses the unit and a CANCEL toggle that takes the place of the POWER switch. The CANCEL toggle switches the pulsating bulb ON and OFF. In place of the FUSE on the original Univibe, I've placed the REPEAT TIME of the Vibra Chorus to control the speed of the vibe. INSTRUMENT 1 is the input and OUTPUT is the output. INSTRUMENT 2 currently functions as a dummy jack which can be converted to accept the FOOT CONTROL expression pedal in the future. Since i didn't want to overcrowd the control panel, I chose to replace the FOOT CONTROL DIN jack with the 3PDT foot switch as I already have the REPEAT TIME function. In essence, this build is closer to a Vibra Chorus build than a Uni-Vibe.

Inside this shell is a General Guitar Gadgets Neovibe PCB populated with top shelf components from Mammoth, Small Bear, and RS Electronics. I would love to have built a vintage replica for the board but couldn't find/ make my own PCB. This built is a transformer-less one with a very low noise floor. Resistors are Xicon metal film. At some point, I may consider replacing the circuitry with a vintage correct PCB and Carbon Comp resistors with a transformer. For now, I love how it sounds. I used the Castledine Supra-Vibe as a reference unit to achieving that classic chewy vibe.

Thanks to RG and the rest for the information in this forum that inspired this build.
This was a hell of a fun project. And yes, the controls go to eleven :)

Follow me on instagram @ jamin_gwee for updates!

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

Where do I find these photoscells to buy?
Attachments
photocell.jpg

vilenjak
Information

Post by vilenjak »

Hey all, greetings from Serbia. I want to make clone of Uni-Vibe sing instructions from this topic theme. I have a question for you: can anybody tell me what is the smallest mA of power transformer which I may use? Here in Serbia, we use 220v AC. I was thinking about making Uni-Vibe in a small box, that's why I need that info.
Thank you all, I will be updating you about my progress.

tomas1808
Information

Post by tomas1808 »

Hey, anyone has sinner's/turretboard files from the first post? Link is dead. Planning on building a clone with the original layout. Thanks!

Axldeziak
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Axldeziak »

tomas1808 wrote:Hey, anyone has sinner's/turretboard files from the first post? Link is dead. Planning on building a clone with the original layout. Thanks!
Here's the page on the wayback machine but I can't get the main files to load.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130513095 ... rg/?p=2213

KevinMitchell
Information

Post by KevinMitchell »

If anyone has fabrication details for a clone of the enclosure please contact me. I really like jamin_gwee's enclosure but seems that nobody is willing to help me out. As a result my board has been sitting for years until prayers are answered.

Asking for a friend :cry:

-KM