Drive Easy

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

This is my go to booster - overdrive - dostortion right now, and i really like it with tube amps; going in a solid state amp probably a tone control would be mandatory, but you can swap the 68 K resistor on the output wit a 100K pot in series with a small resistor (around 20 K?).
I like the fact that it does not use diodes, maybe the note decay won't be super smooth this way... but at least it will sound a little different, actually it's like a low gain rat to me :mrgreen: .

As you will see it's not very original: I took inspiration from the rat, hot cake, buffalo pfuz, rez overdrive (pinkjimi also noticed this simple ad nice overdrive).

Since I finally downloaded and started working with diylayoutcreator (god bless him) I can at least share a readable perf layout (sorry but never tried vero); the layout can be very easily translated in pcb too (sorry but I gave up etching). Well at least it's the first project made by me wich is really ready to build... on perf.
Attachments
Drive Easy.gif
Drive Easy.gif (14.66 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Drive Easy.bmp
Drive Easy.bmp (39.44 KiB) Viewed 1058 times

allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

A link to an humble sound clip.
At first it's the clean amp and guitar, then the effect used only as booster (but sadly I had not the chance to "open" the amp). And then I increase the gain progressively. Since the amp was totally clean you ear the pure distorted sound coming from the pedal.

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

Your quick description in the the first post is right on. You demo sounds like a light rat. smooth attack and overdrive but not fizzy at all.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

Thanks for your comment, you suggested me a good name for the thing: "The best part of the rat". In my opinion, of course.

I forgot to say that you can also try a tl071 if you whant a smoother the sound; in the end I opted for the lm741 because I thought some grittyness is not bad (the tube amp ahead helps to smooth out the things afterall, and a too smooth sound can have problems cutting through a band) and then someone, the venerable mictester :hug: , always says that it's safer to put a buffer in front of a fet input IC like the tl071 (or tl072)... and I wanted to stay super simple, but still safe.