runoffgroove.com supreaux deux in a 1590a

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

as of 20140310 this is verified (the verified one has pin 5 not grounded, ground if your wish; no idea what, if anything that will do) .

the PDF is A4 size

in this layout pin 5 is not gounded, whilst the datasheets say it should be. as per chatter below, ground or do not ground (there is no try /yoda) as you see fit.
supreaux-deux-decoupled-groundplane1.0-pcb.jpg
supreaux-deux-decoupled-groundplane1.0-layout(c).jpg
pdf and expresspcb files below too..
supreaux-deux1590a-pcb-schem-layout.pdf
(295.73 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
supreaux-deux-decoupled-groundplane1.0.zip
(11.86 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
link to rog site with schematic (stating Bias should be to 12V)
http://www.runoffgroove.com/sd.html
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

Very cool! Charge pump and all!

I'm usually not interested enough to build the amp in a box pedals, but the Deux seems like a cool exception. And the 16T is rare enough that it would probably require building a copy. I will usually build the "real amp" instead of a pedal intended to sound like it, at least if it's something I plan on using regularly - something like a Vox AC15 or tweed Deluxe actually aren't super expensive or difficult.

The Deux has seemed interesting even before JHS copied it (or the regular Supreaux, or whatever it has yet to be determined). The sound is different in a super cool way. If Brian Tremblay says it benefits from a charge pump and then re-design around it, I reckon I'd be inclined to believe him!

I haven't etched some stuff in a bit of awhile now. May have to pop this one in the ferric chloride.

Thanks again for this!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

yeah, no problem and thanks for mentioning the charge pump.. I meant to say that, heh. to be honest, that's the area I'm least confident about so if anyone spots any errors (in particular "that wont work cos you've goofed the X or Y") please lemme know... don't want any magic smoke escaping ;-)

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

i think you missed a ground connection on pin5 of icl7660s

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

Intripped wrote:i think you missed a ground connection on pin5 of icl7660s
hmm... I copied Mark's layout which has no gnd on pin 5 AFAICS

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 10#p114328

is the gnd required/recommended?

Mbas974
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Mbas974 »

pin5 in datasheet is always grounded in positive supply.

Question about bias, is it V/2 or it has to be some special value in order to have sound like SD ?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

yeah I see that.. I just note that Mark has said that his works as it is.. so I got a bit confused/scared and went with what is stated as working rather than what is recommended.. I really have no idea though... :whappen:

updated original post to include link to ROG site where the bias (which should be to 12V) is noted.. :thumbsup

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

That ground connection is missing in the datasheets for tha max1044 as well. I used both versions with the icl7660s without any problems.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

No I've never grounded pin 5 for doubling and it certainly works fine without doing, in fact I've only ever used pin 5 when I was using it for negative voltage. But if the datasheet recommends it then I'd go with the datasheet :)
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

thanks guys... I've amended the op with some guff around that...

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

this can now be considered verified as working.
I etched and wired this up today.. after a couple of solder snot shorts were cleared it fired up fine.
the tone pot (into my shitty ruby.. it's shitty cos it has a crap car speaker in it that's been sat on) doesn't seem to be a huge range.. will see how it goes after I box it and try it in my proper amp.

note that the electro at the top of the PCB needs to be >18V (I didn't think about that and stuck a 10V one in .. :oops: ) and also check the polarity of the 100uF cap (I reversed mine and couldn't get more than 12V out of the 7660s :slap: ).

anyhoo.. I may rearrange it cos it's about 4mm narrower than a 1509a so if I can get the components moved around I can make more room at the stompswitch end of the pedal for audio jacks.. currently it'll take a lil tetris to fit them and the board in there.
:popcorn:

Mbas974
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Mbas974 »

Sample on ROG are very impressive,
please post your impression as user. :thumbsup

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

will do, but not till I've tested via my proper amp... into my ruby (with the shitty crumpled car speaker) it's not great, but nothing is ha ha

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

completed build...
I've actually redone the layout cos whilst this one fits in a 1590a, there's room width ways, but it's a lil too long ergo tight as a nun's nasty... newer one will give a lil bit more room.
hoping to get a chance to plug it into my amp this afternoon.. but my post paddy's day hangover may put paid to that :(

outs:

ins:

obligatory catshot

new layout (unverified, but am sure it'll be fine):
supreaux-deux-decoupled-groundplane2.0-layout(c).jpg

new PCB (unverified, but am sure it'll be fine):
supreaux-deux-decoupled-groundplane2.0-pcb(c).jpg

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

Very nice, I like it a lot! :applause:
The pedal also. :mrgreen:

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Every pedal worth its name should have a catshot!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

Mbas974 wrote:Sample on ROG are very impressive,
please post your impression as user. :thumbsup
I finally got the chance to run this through my gig amp this morning...

please bear in mind that I'm looking at this unit for my needs. I simply want a nice sounding overdrive so it needs to knock my zendrive off the board..
short answer, it didn't..

..and here's why.
one of the beauties of the original supreaux is that it sounds and responds so much like an amp.. the way the gain and master interacted, touch sensitivity etc..
the deux is so much more of that... and (as stated above) all I wanted was a nice sounding overdrive. the headroom on this thing is huge.. I took my amp down a few notches (barely bedroom level) and wound up the deux master and it was near gigging volume... as a boosted lead signal this would be ideal, but I'm not a lead guitarist. I prefer the breakup of the zendrive but I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to explain why.. I just do... I guess it feels like an OD pedal whereas the deux almost feels like an amp in a box.. the signal level coming out of it must be giant.. that said the master will tame it down nicely.. bout half way is a slight boost so I'd expect maybe 10 o'clock is unity?
at first the tone appears fairly limited but in reality it really offers a good range of usefulness.. who wants a muffled sound anyway right?

with the right user in mind it's a great pedal, but as a ts/zendrive swap replacement.. it's not for me .. at least not into my amp (jansen bassman 50).

hth :secret: