Stupidly Awesome Buffer  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Intripped wrote:What about making the input impedance of the buffer the same as the amplifier's input impedance?
Would this arrangement make the buffer more "transparent"?
As long as you also include the capacitance of the cable, yes, it should sound just like the buffer isn't there. You'd keep some advantages, like some noise immunity (or a lot, with balanced signal) and indifference to cable length (within reason).
what about the output impedance of the buffer?
I mean, if we make it the same as the guitar's output impedance, does our buffer still work as a buffer [...] ?
Nope. The whole point is to have low output impedance. The input impedance is I guess a matter of taste.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Iforgot
Information

Post by Iforgot »

Hey, I made a very layout for the buffer - still unverified. Will let you guys know if it works upon building it. Also, I'm sure there's a way of making the layout more compact and elegant, but this is one of my first - apologies for that.
Attachments
SAB VERO.png

Iforgot
Information

Post by Iforgot »

Verified. You weren't kidding, this buffer is stupidly awesome! The much simpler Tl071 buffer I was previously using was quite obviously coloring my tone. With your circuit there is barely any audible difference between plugging straight into my amp and running the signal through the buffer, my entire bypassed effect chain, and a passive 25k volume pedal. Entirely worthy of the stupidly awesome name.

PaulBass
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by PaulBass »

I raised input cap to 1uF and it sounds great for bass. If I put a variable resistor between pins 2 and 6 would this act as a gain control?

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Iforgot wrote:Hey, I made a very layout for the buffer - still unverified.
You need a track cut between pins 1 and 8 of the IC.

Pin 1 is the output offset pin, which is not used, and pin 8 is NC - No Connection.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

I was under the impression that a pin marked as NC could be connected to what ever you wan't. That there would be no connection to anything internally inside the IC itself.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Looking on the Texas Instruments datasheet for a TL071 pin 8 - NC - is labelled as "Do not connect" but then at the bottom of the table it also says "No internal connection" so it might be ok with this chip.

When I was an apprentice I was always told to leave NC pins unconnected as sometimes they are connected internally, old habits die hard!
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

It seems old habits are better than bad habits. I googled around a bit after writing my last reply.´There are indeed situations where the NC pins are connected internally to do calibration or other things.

In this specific case it would be better to not connect pin 8 since there is nothing connected to the strip at right hand side of the IC anyway. Just to play it safe...

bool
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bool »

Some observations of a slightly more pedantic nature (which will require absolutely no PCB rework):

- swap the placement of R7 and D1 (which will increase RF/noise immunity towards power supply lines)
- solder a smal mini-melf SMT 15-18V 0.5W zener across the opamp pin 3 and 4 on the PCB trace-side to add input protection

Iforgot
Information

Post by Iforgot »

deltafred wrote:
Iforgot wrote:Hey, I made a very layout for the buffer - still unverified.
You need a track cut between pins 1 and 8 of the IC.

Pin 1 is the output offset pin, which is not used, and pin 8 is NC - No Connection.
Wo I hadn't checked this thread until now. Will try adding a track cut and see what happens. That said the buffer has been working well despite the mistake. (Maybe that will improve it though! :D )

Iforgot
Information

Post by Iforgot »

bool wrote:Some observations of a slightly more pedantic nature (which will require absolutely no PCB rework):

- swap the placement of R7 and D1 (which will increase RF/noise immunity towards power supply lines)
- solder a smal mini-melf SMT 15-18V 0.5W zener across the opamp pin 3 and 4 on the PCB trace-side to add input protection
It's never pedantic to suggest ways of improving a circuit! I for one will try this out.

Just curious, what buffer circuit do you favor? This one has been working well, but after digging into DI box projects - settled on the amazing Bo Hansen di - I wonder whether this circuit is all that transparent.

Iforgot
Information

Post by Iforgot »

Someone made a tighter layout for this on the tagboardeffects forum. Just noticed it, I figured it should be posted here too: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabbl ... .html#none

jeepe
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: I might be at level 2, so to speak..

not totally green, but that's all :)
my "level" is about building a big muff... medium complexity :)

I'll never build a DS-2, for example :)

- -
even though I'm a layman to electronics
I'll never build anything without seeing the actual schematics too...

- -

my all time favorite: Fuzz FAce
it is an always ongoing project..
- -

I want to end up strumming some strings at the end of the day, whatever the sound

- -
I'm so sad that this beautiful culture (and freedom movement) is totally ephemeral

Post by jeepe »

hi,

although I'm only an amateur, I love Jack Orman's thinking -- especially his approach to "building blocks" -- and I feel tempted to use this stupidly awesome buffer like he uses that JFET buffer for splitting the signal -- see here -- and as he does that with that op-amp... see here, after "dual buffer" down the page ...

practically, I wonder how to connect two instances together of the SAB :)

if the purpose is to

A: split the signal - make it appear on two outputs...

B: make two independent buffer, like Left and Right channels..

question mark :)

before seeing these variations, my plan was to just duplicate the SAB as it is...
but now I can imagine more elegant methods, too...

in case B, for example, it seems logical to make jumpers at R2 and pin-7 of the IC...
but I could only guess if R2 is to be repeated /per instance, of not... I mean, if this is the way to do it at all...

so, any help would be great...
and hopefully, not for me only :)

thanks in advance

Peter
pedal building, tracing and sharing is such a beautiful freedom movement... If only it could be viewed as a future heritage, but it really is ephemeral, as it seems

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Assuming you are talking about the *TWO INDEPENDENT BUFFERS (STEREO)* circuit,, :scratch:
Then I'd make R2 1k and repeat on IC1B after Cx. R3&R6 are jumpered.
For extra shorted output protection I would add a 100R~470R series resistor on both outputs.
Phil.

jeepe
Breadboard Brother
Information

- -

- -

- -

I want to end up strumming some strings at the end of the day, whatever the sound

- -
I'm so sad that this beautiful culture (and freedom movement) is totally ephemeral

Post by jeepe »

hi Phil, thanks.. but looks like I hadn't manage to make clear what I meant :)

I meant connecting 2 Stupidly Awesome Buffer circuits..
similarly to how Jack Orman did it with those circuits -- without repeating the entire circuit...
(as in "DUAL BUFFER 2", for example)...

A:
I'd like to make a dual buffer, 1 input, 2 (or more) identical outputs...

B:
and I'd also like to make (another thing)
a stereo buffer, two independent inputs and outputs...

in both cases using the stupidly awesome buffer...

(I'd like to put together a practicing headphone amp with an instrument (bass/guitar) and a stereo line as inputs, and
a buffered output of the guitar, and an buffered output of the stereo line, too... -- all this is theoretical only, I think of it as if playing with building blocks :) )

thank you, and sorry for the misunderstanding...

Peter
pedal building, tracing and sharing is such a beautiful freedom movement... If only it could be viewed as a future heritage, but it really is ephemeral, as it seems

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

jeepe wrote:hi Phil, thanks.. but looks like I hadn't manage to make clear what I meant :)

I meant connecting 2 Stupidly Awesome Buffer circuits..
similarly to how Jack Orman did it with those circuits -- without repeating the entire circuit...
(as in "DUAL BUFFER 2", for example)...

A:
I'd like to make a dual buffer, 1 input, 2 (or more) identical outputs...
Then; http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm
Bottom Schematic.
jeepe wrote: B:
and I'd also like to make (another thing)
a stereo buffer, two independent inputs and outputs...
Then; http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm
Top Schematic x2
jeepe wrote: in both cases using the stupidly awesome buffer...

(I'd like to put together a practicing headphone amp with an instrument (bass/guitar) and a stereo line as inputs, and
a buffered output of the guitar, and an buffered output of the stereo line, too... -- all this is theoretical only, I think of it as if playing with building blocks :) )

thank you, and sorry for the misunderstanding...
Peter
No problems ,, yes it's hard to convey complex stuff in words.
As for the headphone and preamp build ,,,well that is a whole other subject. :scratch:
If you want it all in one box then you would need to work out a signal path??
Phil.

jeepe
Breadboard Brother
Information

- -

- -

- -

- -

Post by jeepe »

hi, Phil, and everyone,

I'm in the making of one, finally, and I was just googling, and I was surprised when landing here (again) that this guy had the same problem / plan / question as I :) :)

In any case, Phil,
I don't want to make a preamp in one box with a headphone amp (no way)...

the thing that I'd like to make is a splitter...
2 buffers together, 1 input, 2 outputs
based on this "stupidly awesome buffer"...

NOTE:
I know I could as well use Jack Orman's JFET transistor splitter ("buffer set"), BUT I'd prefer trying this stupidly awesome buffer, multiplied by 3 :)

my only concern is whether there are some elements of the circuit that need not be multiplied :)
I mean, how to go about it in an electronically elegant way, which I no nothing about :) :)

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Hi Jeepe, you meant in that way?
SABdouble.jpg

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Here the strip layout for the split buffer.
SplitBufferVeroComponentSide.jpg
SplitBufferVeroSolderSide.jpg
SplitBufferVeroComponentSide.pdf
(114.96 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
SplitBufferVeroSolderSide.pdf
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Lochmaster 4.0 file:
SplitBufferVero.zip
(283.59 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Really happy to see people have built this and gotten good results!

I've built several different splitters over the years, and I would usually use 3 buffers: One like this circuit at the input and then splitting into two or more, one for each output. Having the buffer at the input lets you split to many buffered outputs without any additional loading on the input. I also did a few that had isolation transformers on one output to break hum loops that would frequently happen when using multiple amps. I think I posted a schematic for this somewhere here already?
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran