Zorg Effects - Love Philter  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Gabe_
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bogner Shiva 20th anniversary.

Post by Gabe_ »

This is my take on a classic variable state filter with optocouplers!

I added a few cool features:
- A possibility to control it with an envelope follower, an expression pedal or a control voltage. (You can actually use the 3 together, but it's a bit weird how it reacts!)
- A mix button, which allows for cool blending, phaser-like sounds.

Using the CV in with a good LFO, you can use it as a LFO-wha, Tremolo or 2 stage phaser.

It has a few imperfections though:
- It does not go into self oscillations (but almsot, or if you power it with a bad switching alim.)
- Using CV+Exp pedal+Env reacts strangely.
- depending on the optocouplers, you may have to trim the exp pedal stage so that the pedal is usable as a wha wha (Sometimes it can sweep the entire audio range, and that's a bit too much for a wha wha!)
- Optocouplers are not ROHS... I shall redesign this filter with OTAs in the next months!

This leads to the presentation of the pedal on my website

Here's a demo with a Barry White like voice speaking smoothly in your ears:

Here's the schematic:
Love_Philter_Schematic.pdf
(52.45 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
And the mounting instructions full of guts:
French: http://zorgeffects.com/images/Manuels/L ... ons_Fr.pdf
English: http://zorgeffects.com/images/Manuels/L ... ns_Eng.pdf

Any comment/question welcome!

Gabe_
Information

Post by Gabe_ »

I've just publishd a short document for schematic explanations:
In French: http://www.zorgeffects.com/images/Manue ... ata_Fr.pdf
In English: http://www.zorgeffects.com/images/Manue ... ta_Eng.pdf

thomas.pelle
Information

Post by thomas.pelle »

Hi I'm Thomas
I bought the full kit on zorgeffects.com and I think I did something wrong somehow but in the end the pedal reacts strangely: when I'm in LowPassFilter mode and with the presets of the video "fixed filter" and "auto wah", I can only get a sound only if I play very hard on my strings and it stops right after, like if there was some kind of gate...
I was thinking it was maybe the TL072IP is dead. Would it possibly be a reason? Must it be the reason? Can it be something else?
Thank you.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison with the EHX Cock Fight.

Gabe_
Information

Post by Gabe_ »

roseblood11 wrote:Would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison with the EHX Cock Fight.
That would be interesting, I try to keep that in mind if I see a friend that has a cock fight on his pedal board!

flowe
Information

Post by flowe »

Hi
Built my love filter and love it!
To use it fully, i'd now like to be able to switch between envelope filter mode and wah mode with exp pedal.
How could I add a switch in the love filter to bypass the exp pedal input?
I tested with a 3PDT but my wiring must be wrong because I only achieved to have exp input in one position and no sound at all in the other (very limited electronic knowledge here :roll: ).
Thanks!

Gabe_
Information

Post by Gabe_ »

You can try something the other way around: just use your switch to toggle the Sensitivity pot middle leg to the ground. It'll be like if your sens pot is at 0, removing the envelope, but the expression pedal will still work... Then if you toggle the Sens pot back, the expression pedal would still work on it, but you'll just need to push back the expression pedal where you need...

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

A remarkably smooth sweep, almost as good as the EH Riddle, but achieved with a much simpler circuit!

flowe
Information

Post by flowe »

Gabe_ wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 12:06 You can try something the other way around: just use your switch to toggle the Sensitivity pot middle leg to the ground. It'll be like if your sens pot is at 0, removing the envelope, but the expression pedal will still work... Then if you toggle the Sens pot back, the expression pedal would still work on it, but you'll just need to push back the expression pedal where you need...
That's just perfect! Even better than that I wanted to achieve in the first place!
Many thanks for the quick reply, good tip, and your great work with the Zorg effects pedals!
Best.

Guroots
Information

Post by Guroots »

Hey

I will build soon a LF. I wondering how it will works with my VOX 847 connected on it.
In my mind Expression pedal pot is used instead "F" Pot to drive the Opto;

If no jack is connected the LF "EXP" plug TIP and GROUD are connected -> on the scheme it connects EXP_GND1 and EXP_RING1 are connected so R16;R24 and "F" pot act like voltage divider and create an offset on U2C.

When I connect jack in the "EXP" ; EXP_GND1 and EXP_TIP1 (according to schematic) will be connected by the Mono jack so shunt the "F" pot and set the Expression pedal ground to -9V*R16/(R24+R16)
but as EXP_GND1 and EXP_RING1 are connected in the "EXP" plug, It also shunts the Expression pedal output to -9V*R16/(R24+R16)
Maybe I do not understand how works the LF "EXP" plug when mono jack is connected on it.. (Maybe it disconnect the Ground and TIP connection on the LF "EXP" plug...)
Is someone can explain me ?

Finally loocking the LF "EXP" plug - >1 side is disconnected when jack is plug in so when jack is inside it disconnects the Ground and TIP connection on the LF "EXP" plug. :D