BAJA 5E3 Deluxe amplifier overdrive 9v pedal 230218  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Calling all Neil Young fans :lol:
Here is the BAJA 5E3 Deluxe 9v overdrive pedal for you :wink:
I designed the vero layout first using forum member bancika's excellent DIY PCB creator software, before building this pedal and it worked first time - lol.
Here is the schematic, vero layout and vero cutting guide (viewed from the track side :wink: ). I bought some vero clone board from a supplier on Aliexpress - a bit cheaper than the genuine vero and it works extremely well too!
enjoy :thumbsup
cheers
bajaman
Baja 5E3 Deluxe  amplifier overdrive 9v 210218.GIF
Baja 5E3 Deluxe 210218.png
Baja 5E3 Deluxe 210218 vero cuts.png
Baja 5E3 Deluxe 210218 vero cuts.png (7.42 KiB) Viewed 7076 times
IMG_3524.JPG
IMG_3525.JPG
parts not on vero.GIF
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

OOOps :oops:
I actually used all linear 100k pots in my build so here is the corrected schematics
Baja 5E3 Deluxe  amplifier overdrive 9v 210218.GIF
parts not on vero.GIF

FausterCraster
Information

Post by FausterCraster »

Baja a reques pls, can you add to the family the 55 Tweed Deluxe one ?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Baja a reques pls, can you add to the family the 55 Tweed Deluxe one ?
please pm me the schematic or link to it :wink:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I took the pedal around to my friend's place this afternoon to give it a good workout - was very happy with it for a nice low gain pedal - sounded just like Neil young when he played powderfinger through it AND my Baja DS-1 in front of it really made it sing :wink:
I am working on the 57 Tweed Twin amplifier pedal at the moment :secret:
cheers :thumbsup
bajaman

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Awesome!!! That has been my request. Have finished your SLO MKII yesterday. Sounds awesome and very amp like. Needs a simple tone controll though because it puts out a lot of treble content. Now I can't decide which of your designs I'm going to try next. Diezel VH4 or 5E3? Hmmmm, so hard! If I could put another amp into the ring it would be the Sunn Model T or some classic Orange amps. Good emulations of them are pretty scarce! And yes, I like stoner and classic rock pretty much and these amps are kinda iconic in that style of music.

Regards
Helge

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

heavy rain weekend here. So, rain give me ideas.
No, although this is can build with perf, stil better etch to eliminate error and frustation :D
Still with 2SK117. Sorry for jumper, but this for inline pots in 1590B freak 8)
Attachments
BAJA-5E3-etch.pdf
(40.11 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
baja-5e3-top.png

FausterCraster
Information

Post by FausterCraster »

well, I can't say what is exactly 55 model is.... but here you can find some: https://tubeamplifierparts.com/guitar-a ... atics.html
...in the worst case your Baja E3 schematic should be enough.

FausterCraster
Information

Post by FausterCraster »

I'm building this.
I would like to use a quadri-amp and 2 jfet as buffer... Can be simplified by putting together IC2a and IC2b; Leaving the feedback resistor as 2K7, what could be the inverting resitor ( 330E ) ?

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

287m wrote:heavy rain weekend here. So, rain give me ideas.
No, although this is can build with perf, stil better etch to eliminate error and frustation :D
Awesome job! :-)
Just one question: Could you also provide a see-thru view of the pcb layout? I often like to reroute layouts with Sprint Layout and custom tailor them to my taste and parts at hand (so did I with your SLO MKII layout). That would be super kind of you!

Regards
Helge

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

HEAD wrote:
287m wrote:heavy rain weekend here. So, rain give me ideas.
Awesome job! :-)
Just one question: Could you also provide a see-thru view of the pcb layout? I often like to reroute layouts with Sprint Layout and custom tailor them to my taste and parts at hand (so did I with your SLO MKII layout). That would be super kind of you!

Regards
Helge
sorry :D i though when i post, included that. Getting 732 error, blame slow connection
here you go. 300dpi as usual, enough? 1 for perf guide. :oops:
Attachments
route-pcb-ish.png
route-perf-ish.png

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

If I could put another amp into the ring it would be the Sunn Model T or some classic Orange amps.
I will get around to these in the coming weeks ;-)
One thing though - to reduce the hiss a good option is to replace the first TL062 with a TL072 (or OPA2134, LM833, NE5532, OPA2604 etc )as the first gain stage op amp largely determines the background noise content. Of course you can always use TL072 op amps throughout, but i feel that the TL062 has a slightly warmer top end response (for what it is worth :wink: ) when being driven so I prefer to use this for my output section.
cheers
bajaman

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

bajaman wrote:
If I could put another amp into the ring it would be the Sunn Model T or some classic Orange amps.
I will get around to these in the coming weeks ;-)
This is so awesome! I can't tell you how excited I am. Having build your SLO MKII I'm pretty convinced now with your concept how to emulate these amps. It does indeed sound close and if not still better than your 100 000th tube screamer diode in feedbackloop overdrive - and yet still at a relatively low cost. Though I did spend a lot of 1-3$-ebay shopping to get all the missing parts (like 50 pcs 1µF multi layer caps) for your projects. :-D

Helge

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Thanks helge - i LOVE those 1uf mutilayer caps :D :lol:

HENK
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HENK »

HIWATT,please????

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Yesteday I had the following idea: "Hey, why not trying to make things even more economical? Since the JFETs (which getting more and more expansive and scarce since they aren't produced as THT anymore) in these Baja designs are just simple buffers why not use more available and cheaper MOSFETs?" Tried to swap out the JFETs for 2N7000 MOSFETs (and yes - I took care of getting the pinout right) but the result wasn't the same. It sounded dull and was lacking some gain. What's wrong with my idea? I mean the bufferstage doesn't make any gain... But I must have missed something obvious. But I'm still an amateur so I might miss a lot of the technical details. :/

Regards
Helge

Frank_NH
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Frank_NH »

HEAD wrote:Yesteday I had the following idea: "Hey, why not trying to make things even more economical? Since the JFETs (which getting more and more expansive and scarce since they aren't produced as THT anymore) in these Baja designs are just simple buffers why not use more available and cheaper MOSFETs?" Tried to swap out the JFETs for 2N7000 MOSFETs (and yes - I took care of getting the pinout right) but the result wasn't the same. It sounded dull and was lacking some gain. What's wrong with my idea? I mean the bufferstage doesn't make any gain... But I must have missed something obvious. But I'm still an amateur so I might miss a lot of the technical details. :/

Regards
Helge
You should be able to use a MOSFET but you may need to play around with the source resistance. If you wanted to reduce cost, though, I would just use another cheap dual op amp and create two op amp buffers from that. You have the reference voltage ready to go, and thus they would be easy to implement into the current Bajaman designs.

More on buffers here:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm

BTW, +1 on a Hiwatt amp sim! I have the Brian May sound nailed with a treble boost into the AC-30 normal channel. Now it's time for Pete Townsend! :thumbsup

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Thanks for your reply. I know I could also use a further simple op amp buffer. But what speaks against it on my mind was and still is: 1st another op amp takes more real estate (and routing the vref for 4 op amps single sided is mostly a pain in the ...) and I like to build things in 1590B enclosures, 2nd I like to use a booster in front of these things and JFETs/MOSFETs deal with a hotter signal better in a way the break up more natural (valve amp like) and 3rd I can use already existing layouts since I'm a super lazy chap and not very patient when it comes to route pcbs. :D I prefer to spend my time in doing a tidy build and tinkering with some values until I like it.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Plus a 2N7000 costs ~9$cent - so two of them cost roughly the same as a generic op amp. ;-)

marcao_cfh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marcao_cfh »

http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm

There's a similar buffer at this page, but using a mosfet. Let us know how it works, jfets are too much expensive here too.