BAJA REACTOR 010119  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Happy New Year to all the good folks here at freestompboxes.org.
Here is a new design that I have been working on over the last few years - a pedal designed to mimic the performance of a typical negative feedback tube amp power stage driving a Celestion quad box or similar.

The pedal has the negative feedback presence and depth (resonance) controls typical of Soldano, Marshall, Fender, Peavey etc.

Tube power amplifiers have a high output impedance compared to solid state class AB and digital class D amplifiers, which have very low output impedances. This means that the tube amplifier dynamic power output is considerably influenced by the changing frequency impedance characteristic of the speaker, resulting in higher output power delivered at low end speaker/cabinet resonance and at higher frequencies due to the continually rising speaker voice coil inductance above 400Hz. This is why tube power amplifiers always sound warmer in the bass frequencies and have more "sparkle and reverberance" in the high frequencies because the dynamic power output is increased in these regions. A solid state or class D amplifier is not affected by the changing frequency impedance response of the speaker because of it's very low output impedance - consequently these amplifiers always sound weaker in the bass frequencies and darker in the higher frequencies compared to the tube amplifier.

After simulating the response characteristics of a Soldano SLO output stage driving an approximate electrical equivalent of a celestion quad box, I have come up with this functionally similar 9v dc pedal which can be placed anywhere in your effects pedal chain, but preferably as the last pedal before a solid state amplifier or mixer, daw recording device etc.

The signal is fed via an input level (DRIVE) control (ideally set to 18% to maintain unity gain), to one input of an differential instrumentation amplifier. The voltage gain of this amplifier is the same as the 12AX7 differential input stage of the typical tube amplifier (12dB). After this stage the signal is fed to an op amp gain stage designed to simulate the speaker rising frequency response at high frequencies and a gyrator designed to introduce the "hump" at 100Hz typical of the speaker cabinet resonance. The power tubes have unity voltage gain, so there is no need to model them in this design. Next the signal is fed to the output level control, the top of which is fed (via two back to back clip limiting diodes to ground,to simulate the power amp tube saturation - these can be omitted if desired) to the DEPTH and PRESENCE controls and then to the remaining input of the differential input stage (this completes the feedback loop and sets the voltage gain to the same as the tube amplifier output stage it is modelled on; in this case the Soldano SLO).
The presence and depth controls work exactly as they do in a real tube output stage.
Ideally the input drive is set low and the output level is set to maximum to obtain the clearest possible signal output, however increasing the drive and decreasing the output level can cause the clipping diodes to conduct especially on maximum presence control settings.
No attempt has been made to model the frequency response characteristic of the speaker in this design, just the electrically equivalent interaction with the tube power amplifier output stage.

Here is the schematic, and some pictures of my prototype build (shocking construction I know! - I am working on a much neater pcb design ;-) ).
The graphs show the response at: (top to bottom), minimum depth minimum presence; middle depth middle presence; maximum depth maximum presence; maximum depth minimum presence; minimum depth maximum presence.
Note: Do not forget the 10k resistor on the output - severe oscillation will occur if omitted!

I do hope you enjoy building it, and as usual, your comments and questions are always welcome.
Happy New Year
bajaman
Baja Reactor 010119.png
Reactor.gif
Baja Reactor 010119.gif
Baja Reactor 010119.gif (14.17 KiB) Viewed 31882 times
IMG_3739.JPG
IMG_3738.JPG
IMG_3737.JPG
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

Serge75
Information

Post by Serge75 »

Happy New Year Bajaman and people at freestompboxes, I have a doubt about this one, so Is reactor thought to be used in conjunction with Baja Presence and Resonance 091118, or is reactor an update about same purpose? Thanks a lot for all your efforts, i m trying to add some mojo to a class d bass amp, but im not sure if freq Would be the same in a bass and guitar amp, or if the concept is the same as your modified sonic maximizer bbe.

swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

Happy new year! And thank you Baja for being the engine of the forum by bringing new stuff to the new year!

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Serge75 wrote:Happy New Year Bajaman and people at freestompboxes, I have a doubt about this one, so Is reactor thought to be used in conjunction with Baja Presence and Resonance 091118, or is reactor an update about same purpose? Thanks a lot for all your efforts, i m trying to add some mojo to a class d bass amp, but im not sure if freq Would be the same in a bass and guitar amp, or if the concept is the same as your modified sonic maximizer bbe.
Good question - yes, this is similar but operates in a completely different manner to my earlier Baja Presence and resonance 091118 circuit. For a class D bass amplifier you may need to modify the depth frequency to closer simulate the feel of a bass speaker cabinet - you could try increasing the value of 20n capacitor in the gyrator section. Increasing it to 33n will move the resonant hump from 100Hz down to 75Hz, increasing it to 47n will shift the peak to 63Hz. Perhaps a 6 (or even 12 :wink: ) position rotary switch could be implemented to adjust the desired frequency for the depth control. Values: 12n, 15n, 18n, 22n, 27n, 33n, 39n, 47n, 56n, 68n, 82n, 100n, will give a frequency range from approximately 115Hz down to 42Hz :wink:
cheers
bajaman

marcao_cfh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marcao_cfh »

Very interesting. Where would be this circuit best located on the signal chain?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

marcao_cfh wrote:Very interesting. Where would be this circuit best located on the signal chain?
from original post "which can be placed anywhere in your effects pedal chain, but preferably as the last pedal before a solid state amplifier or mixer, daw recording device etc."
cheers
bajaman

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

UPDATE alert:
I had a closer look at some Marshall, Mesa, Orange quad box impulse response curves and produced the following small update to the gyrator (sallen key filter) section.
cheers
bajaman
Baja Reactor 010119 rev1.png

Serge75
Information

Post by Serge75 »

This sure will be useful!thanks a lot! Treble content Would work the same in bass and guitar sim?

sixthfloor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sixthfloor »

bajaman wrote:
marcao_cfh wrote:Very interesting. Where would be this circuit best located on the signal chain?
from original post "which can be placed anywhere in your effects pedal chain, but preferably as the last pedal before a solid state amplifier or mixer, daw recording device etc."
cheers
bajaman
bajaman wrote: No attempt has been made to model the frequency response characteristic of the speaker in this design, just the electrically equivalent interaction with the tube power amplifier output stage.
bajaman
So if we're using a cab sim pedal, the recommended flow should probably be <most pedals> - <Baja Reactor> - <cab sim pedal>.

Thanks Bajaman for the great stuff you keep making :D

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

sixthfloor wrote:
bajaman wrote:
cheers
bajaman
bajaman wrote: No attempt has been made to model the frequency response characteristic of the speaker in this design, just the electrically equivalent interaction with the tube power amplifier output stage.
bajaman
So if we're using a cab sim pedal, the recommended flow should probably be <most pedals> - <Baja Reactor> - <cab sim pedal>.

Thanks Bajaman for the great stuff you keep making :D
yes
cheers
bajaman

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Please disregard my rev 1 schematic - the resonant frequencies are too high.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ ... x12.31787/
In the above link stratoblaster measured the actual resonant frequency of his marshall 1960 cab at 115Hz
SO:
Here is rev 2 - hopefully the final update :wink:
Baja Reactor 010119 rev2 includes bass cabinets.png
cheers
bajaman

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Another handy circuit from Bajaman :)

As for now I have breadboard version only. Here are the samples

Two separate guitar tracks for L /R, Marshall 1960A V30 + G12 cab IR.
#1 - preamp only + IR
#2 - preamp + Reactor (P & D @ min) + IR
#3 - preamp + Reactor (P & D @ noon) + IR
#4 - preamp + Reactor (P & D @ max) + IR
#5 - preamp + Reactor (P@3 o'clock D@1 o'clock ) + IR

T.

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

temol wrote:Another handy circuit from Bajaman :)

As for now I have breadboard version only. Here are the samples

Two separate guitar tracks for L /R, Marshall 1960A V30 + G12 cab IR.
#1 - preamp only + IR
#2 - preamp + Reactor (P & D @ min) + IR
#3 - preamp + Reactor (P & D @ noon) + IR
#4 - preamp + Reactor (P & D @ max) + IR
#5 - preamp + Reactor (P@3 o'clock D@1 o'clock ) + IR

T.
Nice clips! I like the way this thing sounds, may have to whip one up...
Exact Science is Not an Exact Science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

:D
thanks temol - I really appreciate your work and speed :applause:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Ok - here is the rev 3 file - made a few small changes to the speaker response section to balance the presence and depth sections (presence has more gain now) and increase the Q (sharpen the cabinet resonance). I have tried these changes on my prototype build and feel that the bottom end is not as "boomy" due to the sharper Q of the sallen key gyrator (now 5.4 compared to original 3.2) and the presence is a bit "sparklier". Perhaps temol can make these small changes to his breadboard layout and record some more sound files ?
all the best
cheers
bajaman
Baja Reactor 010119 rev 3 includes bass cabinets.png
ps: it sounds really good with one of my many 9v guitar preamp pedals in front of it - I tried the SLO, VH4, AFD pedals :D

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Here are the samples from Reactor v3.

I have recorded two additional samples - Presence @ max with Depth @ min, and Presence @ min with Depth @ max.

T.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Great stuff! :)
Now we do need some magic for a nice layout. ;-) :-D

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Magic like abrakadabra? ;)

:hmmm:
Attachments
react.jpg
react.jpg (34.16 KiB) Viewed 31608 times

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Ok - a step back to a looser Q for the sallen key gyrator section :wink:
Here is rev 4 and rev 4a.
I was fortunate to find an impedance graph for an actual Marshall 1960Ax cabinet loaded with celestion G12M -25 greenbacks online.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 93/page-12 (post #227)
I used this plot to fine tune the REACTOR filter and gain stage to produce my rev 4 schematic.
Baja Reactor 010119 rev 4 includes bass cabinets.png
I thought it might be a good idea to provide an open back style Fender cabinet response with a Jensen C12N speaker and thanks to the excellent Jensen website i didn't have too far to search.
https://www.jensentone.com/specification-sheet/16
Because the cabinet is open backed, the speaker's free air resonance is not shifted upward as in a closed back cabinet design, so i just used the impedance response curve mounted on a standard IEC baffle from the Jensen site. :wink:
I used this plot to fine tune the REACTOR filter and gain stage to produce my rev 4a schematic.
Baja Reactor 010119 rev 4a open back Jensen C12N includes bass cabinets.png
The graphs are: rev 4 on top rev 4a on the bottom - presence and depth are both set to maximum
rev4 and rev4a.gif
I have tried the rev 4 schematic and I like what i heard - have not tried the rev 4a as yet, hope fully once again, temol can make some more of his soundclips for the thread :hug:
cheers
bajaman

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Hah... what a surprise.. rev4.. and 4a.. I'll wait for the 5 and 6 :)

In the meantime - rev3 tested on a pcb.
IMG_9070_600.jpg
IMG_9070_600.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 31524 times
T.