Triton Delay - Adding the "Glide" from EchoCzar to PT2399  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Did this one a while back but thought I'd share here. I took the basic bones of the Deep Blue Delay (changed some filtering values), added a variable LPF on the delay output (via trimmer/cap), added a second Delay Time control with a slow transition when switching between Time 1 and Time 2. It works similar to some versions of the Toneczar EchoCzar how it does the "glide" between Time pots. Probably more of a curiosity than something you'd actually use all the time, but it's fun to play around with.

I just updated a few values on the drawing today based on the last one I built (which I think is the best sounding one I've done). I've also attached photos of a build I completed (and one I'm about to box up).

If you want to monkey with making the transition time (and resulting pitch-bend glissando effect) longer, make C20 larger.

Any questions, feel free to ask! :thumbsup
Triton-V2-3.png
triton1.jpg
triton2.jpg

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

Sounds like a hot ticket. I'm currently trying to learn how to use KiCAD and redrew the schematic for practice. See attachment, hope I didn't make too many errors. Going to try making a PCB layout next.

If it's OK with you I'll put the KiCAD files on Github. When I started looking into KiCAD I noticed there are very few editable schems out there (same goes for Eagle). Having something to play around with would probably make the learning curve less steep. With that in mind, how would you like to be credited? Your schem just says "@function_fx"...

I also have a question: would it be OK to move R17 before the switch (or between the LEDs and ground) and omit R18 altogether?
triton-delay.pdf
(60.77 KiB) Downloaded 284 times

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

rockola wrote:If it's OK with you I'll put the KiCAD files on Github.
This project is 100% free/open source, so do as you want with it. :thumbsup
rockola wrote: With that in mind, how would you like to be credited? Your schem just says "@function_fx"...
You can use "culturejam / @function_fx" if you like.
rockola wrote:I also have a question: would it be OK to move R17 before the switch (or between the LEDs and ground) and omit R18 altogether?
R17 / R18 + D1 / D2 are only there as indicators to show witch Time pot is active. You don't need them at all if you don't care about that. If you do drop them, then you only need a SPDT switch for the Time pots, instead of DPDT as drawn.
Last edited by culturejam on 26 Mar 2020, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

culturejam wrote:
rockola wrote: With that in mind, how would you like to be credited? Your schem just says "@function_fx"...
You can use "culturejam / @funciton_fx" if you like.
Will do, cheers.
R17 / R18 + D1 / D2 are only there as indicators to show witch Time pot is active. You don't need them at all if you don't care about that. If you do drop them, then you only need a SPDT switch for the Time pots, instead of DPDT as drawn.
But if I do care and want the two LEDs, won't I still be able to get away with just one resistor, since the two LEDs are not on simultaneously?

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

rockola wrote: But if I do care and want the two LEDs, won't I still be able to get away with just one resistor, since the two LEDs are not on simultaneously?
Oh, yes. I misunderstood your question. You are correct.

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

I've uploaded my files on Github, see https://github.com/rockola/triton-delay

The files include a schematic in KiCAD format & PDF and a PCB layout in KiCAD format & Gerbers.

Unless someone spots a glaring error, I'll bite the bullet and put an order through Oshpark.

Board front:

Back:

Copper layers:

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

rockola wrote:Unless someone spots a glaring error, I'll bite the bullet and put an order through Oshpark.
I'm a big fan of OshPark, but have you ordered through JLC PCB? The quality is quite good and it's insanely cheap (even with expedited shipping it's cheaper than OshPark).

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Very cool! Ages ago I implemented something like a ramp control on a Leslie type effect, and I think this is similar. I'm not fully sure what that was, though. I have some notes that kinda look like a GEOFEX LERA but its a different circuit....not sure what it could be from.

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

culturejam wrote:
rockola wrote:Unless someone spots a glaring error, I'll bite the bullet and put an order through Oshpark.
I'm a big fan of OshPark, but have you ordered through JLC PCB? The quality is quite good and it's insanely cheap (even with expedited shipping it's cheaper than OshPark).
Good call. I ordered PCBs of m-kresol's Rubidium Reverb (for which he has graciously released the Gerbers) from JLCPCB a while ago and was quite happy with the quality. Looks like they'll still do 5 boards for $2, which is of course hard to beat. I think I'll whip up a few more layouts to save on shipping.

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

Got the boards today. So far so good.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

culturejam wrote:
triton2.jpg
You painted and labeled before drilling? :shock:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

soulsonic wrote:
culturejam wrote:
triton2.jpg
You painted and labeled before drilling? :shock:
Yep! The purple one is UV printed. The other one I laser etched. It’s easier to etch or print first. At least for me.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I gave up doing that after too many boxes getting scratched
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

so how does it actually work? On the echoczar this "slide" is using the effect that the PLL is locking onto the voltage going into pin 9 and adjusting its clock frequency, why does it work here?

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

Seiche wrote:so how does it actually work? On the echoczar this "slide" is using the effect that the PLL is locking onto the voltage going into pin 9 and adjusting its clock frequency, why does it work here?
I beleive, It works due to C20 providing kinda smooth transition (charge/discharge) between VCO clock adjustment (pin 6) when you are swapping resistances (potentiometers).

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

plush wrote:
Seiche wrote:so how does it actually work? On the echoczar this "slide" is using the effect that the PLL is locking onto the voltage going into pin 9 and adjusting its clock frequency, why does it work here?
I beleive, It works due to C20 providing kinda smooth transition (charge/discharge) between VCO clock adjustment (pin 6) when you are swapping resistances (potentiometers).
That's definitely how the Geofex circuit works:

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Yep. Basically it just uses the R/C filter as a "bleed off" of current from pin 6. The time it takes to switch from one to the other is a function of the frequency of the R/C filter.

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

rockola wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 14:37 Got the boards today. So far so good.

Did you build these already, and are they OK?
Seems like an interesting project, not just for guitar/bass but also for my modular synth. There are a couple of CV controlled PT2399 projects out there, and usually the gnarly edges of the range is what makes this interesting (maybe harder to do in a stompbox).
The Hordijk Zeitgeist and NLC Delay No More take this to the next level :)
Nonlinearcircuits has more, REALLY WILD, stuff, also PT2399 based
https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modul ... ay-no-more
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

Jarno wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 10:47 Did you build these already, and are they OK?
Got distracted :oops: so no, the PCB is not verified yet. Thanks for the reminder, I really should dig up the board and finish it.

cspar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cspar »

I can confirm that the boards Rockola has shared work.

The one I built is on the noisy side, but I have almost all the wiring offboard in a 1590bb and my pt2399 is from a low tier on the supply chain.
"Just because the forgoing circuits have produced results there is no reason experimenting won't lead to added results." L. E. Darling, in his article containing the earliest published vacuum tube synthesizer circuit, Popular Science Jan 1920