Jolt fuzz (a minor unpleasant surprise)

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I really enjoyed messing about with Fairfield's unpleasant surprise circuit on the breadboard (or at least the schematic called the "calamity fuzz" that bugg has over at his pcb site), so I made a clone. If you haven't come across it before, it's a heavily gated and compressed aggro-fuzz, with three mode switches. It does some truly deranged sounds, some useful dark/doomy/sludge/stoner metal chug, but it's also capable of some very interesting textural stuff when you play with the onset control at the gating point, especially with a dense synthy/droning sound source. It was a great pedal but it stopped working properly after a while. I couldn't face debugging it and decided instead to rework it a bit when making a new one since I didn't really use some of the options on the switches (and I hate switches) and i wanted a few more controls to tweak whilst using looped or synthy stuf.
Jolt fuzz nocentelli.png
I've removed the chaos mode entirely, changed the treble switch into a roll-off pot, and put in a "texture" pot in lieu of the "gain mode" switch. This works pretty nicely to soften the abrupt attack of the stock sound when rolled back, but I lowered the resistance to ground at the end of the pot (minimum resistance of 47k is somewhat lower than the 68k || 270k = 54k in "non-g" mode), and it now seems to have an even more aggressive or abrupt attack than the original when set at maximum.

I'm currently building the new circuit on vero: I also got fixated on the idea of using one of the SIP NJM4558s chips I bought years ago and have never managed to use. I had the idea I could do a much more compact layout with the single strip opamp and no switches, but it was actually as much of a pain as doing the layout for a regular dip-8, maybe more so, and it is still 28x10. I'll post the layout if/when it's working. I also have no idea if the 4558 sounds any different to the TL072, but it does sound pretty good.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...