MAGNUS MODULUS - PROJECT - PT2399 ECHO/Chorus/Tremolo/Boost  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Super Locrian
Information

Post by Super Locrian »

Well, I finally managed to complete this project, and it works great!

I'm a little uncertain about the Gain control, though - I couldn't hear any difference between full cw and full ccw at the test run yesterday evening. Anything wrong? Suggestions for how I can fix it?

Thank you Forced Fire for sharing this cool pedal design!

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

The Gain control definitely should give a boost. I have unity volume on mine with the Gain knob at only around 9 o'clock.

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

Just built one using Cathexis Veroboard....

Had some tremolo first try then NOTHING.....signal is ok and the GAIN works (a lot....) I have to set it 2/10 for no boost...anyone used cathexis vero and noticed something ?

the only other thing I hear is a little POP on one of the switch
I used some 2x047 caps in parallel instead of the 1uf NP.....hope this isnt a big issue....
The way electronics work in a stompbox is like the way pixels move in a videogame
it's Magic, in Technology

whosyourdaddy
Information

Post by whosyourdaddy »

Here's my "hack" to deal with enormous boost and still have decent tremolo: :horsey:

I was having one 150k B pot laying around so idea was to lift up depth so I can lower gain. I've noticed that depth switch is only active about 7/10 to 10/10. And so I swapped 100k for 150k depth pot and lowered the gain (trimpot) to 2/10. (I suppose you could also lift up 100k with resistor in series)

Now my pedal is transparent and have zero boost. [smilie=a_fro.gif]

:cheers

pirxpilot
Information

Post by pirxpilot »

Hey everybody!

I just finished this wonderful project - it works fine and sounds great. I keep confusing the controls, but thats another story. ;)

But a have question:

The LM7805 gets VERY hot, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use this pedal for a long time or even on a hot stage.
Mine looks like this:

I was not able to find the smaller version.
Is this normal?!

Thanks alot!

guitarman
Information

Post by guitarman »

u looking for LM78L05 for smaller size than 7805 regulate but i use 7805 lol

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

pirxpilot wrote:Hey everybody!

I just finished this wonderful project - it works fine and sounds great. I keep confusing the controls, but thats another story. ;)

But a have question:

The LM7805 gets VERY hot, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use this pedal for a long time or even on a hot stage.
Mine looks like this:

I was not able to find the smaller version.
Is this normal?!

Thanks alot!
I used a 7805 and mine doesn't get hot at all.

whosyourdaddy
Information

Post by whosyourdaddy »

Yeah you should probably find LM78L05. And also check pinout of that LM7805. (maybe it needs to be rotated by 180° ;) )

guitarman
Information

Post by guitarman »

whosyourdaddy wrote:Yeah you should probably find LM78L05. And also check pinout of that LM7805. (maybe it needs to be rotated by 180° ;) )
follow up : u should check correct pin of LM7805 " 1 " input(9V) , " 2 " ground , " 3 " output (5V)
" 1 " Pin should left side when u see front of regulate.
my expeirence incorrect pin cos' ic hotter than normal but fix by reverse 180' pin or u see datasheet.

lufox15
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender
Completed builds: Rat, TS808, Microsynth, MT-2, MagnusModulus, Phase 90, WH10, Dynacomp, CE-2, SansAmp GT2, Envelope Filter, BMP, Fuzz Factory

Post by lufox15 »

ibodog2 wrote:OK, what is the "tails" switch supposed to do? Leave the delay tails on when the effect is bypassed? But, no that can't be it if I wire the board up the normal 3pdt "true bypass" way.
Hi, i'm new in this forum. and i don't understand what do the switch delay tails, if i push the the bypass switch, it's not the same??, and the tremolo or chorus effect, continue sounding if i push the delay tails switch???.
thanks. sorry about my words i don't speak english.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

"tails" is probably a misleading name. It actually turns the delay on and off, like the tremolo and modulation switches.

i just built this, and unfortunately, i have no tremolo, and barely any modulation. delay works fine???

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

nevermind, tremolo is working, but it has a loud thump with every hit, whether I'm playing or not. I also think I've either made a resistor mistake or I got some mislabelled parts, as the rate and depth knobs have a narrow usable range. anyone else find this?

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

Barcode wrote:"tails" is probably a misleading name. It actually turns the delay on and off, like the tremolo and modulation switches.
Tell me if i'm wrong, but i understood that the "tails" switch allows disengaging the delay while letting the last repeats fade away (hence the name). A kind of smooth end to a delayed phrase, at the price of not being true-bypass.
I don't know how it affects tremolo and modulation.
I only give negative feedback.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

My depth knob only works the last 1/4 of the turn and my rate knob only works on the 1/2 of the turn. I'm going to adjust their values/tapers as soon as I get a chance to make them work better. I eliminated the tremolo on mine because I didn't like having to turn the gain/boost up so high to make it work but I didn't have any thumping when I had it on there.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I understand that but I just didn't want to have to change settings on the pedal during a gig so I just ditched the tremolo.

lufox15
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender
Completed builds: Rat, TS808, Microsynth, MT-2, MagnusModulus, Phase 90, WH10, Dynacomp, CE-2, SansAmp GT2, Envelope Filter, BMP, Fuzz Factory

Post by lufox15 »

JiM wrote:
Barcode wrote:"tails" is probably a misleading name. It actually turns the delay on and off, like the tremolo and modulation switches.
Tell me if i'm wrong, but i understood that the "tails" switch allows disengaging the delay while letting the last repeats fade away (hence the name). A kind of smooth end to a delayed phrase, at the price of not being true-bypass.
I don't know how it affects tremolo and modulation.
so, if i push the "tails" off, the tremolo it's on?, or i don't have tremolo, mod and delay with the "tails" off????

maikyguitars
Information

Post by maikyguitars »

lochy wrote:yea I get the pop when I switch on tails. normally I just leave the tails on and just switch it on and off.

hi , i hace one cuestion for you man , were you find these boxes ?, i can´t find them , im find the pots the ic ,the compnents , all , but the boxes i can´t find....... can you help me?....... thanks

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

maikyguitars wrote: hi , i hace one cuestion for you man , were you find these boxes ?, i can´t find them , im find the pots the ic ,the compnents , all , but the boxes i can´t find....... can you help me?....... thanks
http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscomm ... 859c2c4ac8

they have a bunch of different sizes, some large enough for the MM project easily :)
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

jrjoe21
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Chieftain-R66 clone
Completed builds: Many

Post by jrjoe21 »

maikyguitars wrote: Image
Anybody knows where to get these knobs (with color!)? They look great and look perfect for a "knobby" project!
Thanks.
“Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.” - E. Hemingway

ik6gpy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ik6gpy »