MAGNUS MODULUS - PROJECT - PT2399 ECHO/Chorus/Tremolo/Boost  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
airfrankenstein
Information

Post by airfrankenstein »

using cathexis' vero layout. can anyone tell me how the rate led, tails, tails led get connected on that ? Pictures or drawings would be very cool as I have almost zero theoretical understanding of what I'm doing.

thanks

svstee
Information

Post by svstee »

Building the PCB, and I'm unclear on where LED 1 and 2 go. Is it just to the + side of two different LEDs?

meffcio
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by meffcio »

Tell me, which is newer and better? Magnus or Echo Base?

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

svstee wrote:Building the PCB, and I'm unclear on where LED 1 and 2 go. Is it just to the + side of two different LEDs?
The pads for LED 1 and 2 go to the switches. You can use them for anything you want really. Like the bypass switch and the tails switch. You probably don't want to mount the LED's on the board where they are. Just attach wire where they are on the board and the LED's on the other ends of the wires and you can put them wherever you want.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

meffcio wrote:Tell me, which is newer and better? Magnus or Echo Base?
There is no "better" just what YOU like. :D
I believe the Magnus is newer.

criszu
Information

Post by criszu »

Any suggestion for multi-layer ceramic caps?? or I can substitube them with other caps? what's box cap better? wima or any suggestion. It's hard to find multi-layer ceramic.
Thankx

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

criszu wrote:It's hard to find multi-layer ceramic.
They're cheap there : http://futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml
I only give negative feedback.

albo542
Information

Post by albo542 »

hi everyone,this is my first post... - i think? - but,i always read this forum especially this topic about this modulation/delay beast!! really love the magnus modulus,so i built it
here are some pictures ... and the video demo its uploading now...

greetings from Chile!!

;)

Mugshot
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Mugshot »

built one over the weekend. Depth control was unusable; only when it is maxed 5:00-3:00 does it work. what i did was wire the Depth control as a variable 10K pot and add a fixed 100K to ground. solved it.
signatures are for the weak.
FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps
Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?

jmwreck
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jmwreck »

@ ForcedFire

I have noticed an error on the scheme and the board, I would like to ask on what to follow, the scheme or the board? I know I need not to ask this because the PNP's are there already, obviously the PNP looks the same to the components-board layout, but I wanted to make my own scheme and my own layout in a small way by revising a bit.

IIRC, there are at least two parts that made me confused.

1. the DELAY LEVEL wiper goes to C23 to R22 to pin 5 of IC1 in the schematic,
but looking at the board, it is from wiper to R22 to C23 to pin 5 of IC1.
2. the TIME lug 1 goes to R9 and R10 and R10 to C13 in the schematic,
but looking at the board, it is R9 and C13 that goes to TIME lug 1 not the R10.

I dont know if im sure and correct with my observations, but does it matter if they are arranged reversely? (I hope it does)

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I need a little help guys. I built one of these using the original layout and it worked fine. I am building a second one for a friend of mine and I wanted to get rid of all the wiring so I made everything board mounted. Fired it up and everything works fine except the boost control. It has no effect at all.
The only thing I did different was I left out the tremolo. Everything from the tremolo toggle to R24. That couldn't be it, could it?
I'm getting 9v at the NE5532 and pin 4 is grounded. Any ideas? I've checked the layout against the schematic tons of times and it's exactly the same. There aren't any solder bridges or cold solder joints. I've triple checked for them. I checked the pot to make sure it was working also.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

Thought this might help. It's the boost section. I have gone over it dozens of times.
Anyone see anything wrong? The red with the jumper going to pin 8 is 9v. The dark purple on pin 4 is ground. The pink is 4.5v. I've verified the voltages and ground. I get sound out of output 2 and 1 on the chip. I have sound at the volume pot on all lugs. The resistance on the pot goes from 0 to 48K ohms when I turn it.
I'm stumped.
Attachments
Boost section.jpg
Boost section.jpg (21.01 KiB) Viewed 3084 times

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

Ok. I figured it out on my own. Seems like the op-amp needs the 4.5v going through the J201 for the boost to work. I put in the J201, R19, C26, and R24 and the boost works again. Just thought I'd post this in case someone decided to do what I did and remove the tremolo.

jbgron
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Orange OR-120

Post by jbgron »

Hi guys,

I just built this beast. Everything seems to be working, LEDs light up, switches work, the delay can self oscillate but my signal just passes straight through. The only knob that has any effect on my signal is the gain knob. I've checked all the wiring and all looks good, albeit the feedback pot is wired backwards.

Any idea what could be wrong :scratch:

Cheers

jbgron

jbgron
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Orange OR-120

Post by jbgron »

Sorry, all fixed. I didn't have the tails switch fully wired, doh :slap: Thanks for an excellent build, sounds awesome!
jbgron wrote:Hi guys,

I just built this beast. Everything seems to be working, LEDs light up, switches work, the delay can self oscillate but my signal just passes straight through. The only knob that has any effect on my signal is the gain knob. I've checked all the wiring and all looks good, albeit the feedback pot is wired backwards.

Any idea what could be wrong :scratch:

Cheers

jbgron

collingtech
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by collingtech »

hello guys

i dont know if was debated before but isnt there a way to mod a hold function on this design? to act like sound on sound /sampler feature?

thanks colling

criszu
Information

Post by criszu »

Hi,
can I subtitute LM7805 with 78L05??
78L05 is easier to get in.

Thank's

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

criszu wrote:Hi,
can I subtitute LM7805 with 78L05??
78L05 is easier to get in.

Thank's
yup. just be sure you have the orientation correct to get the +5VDC
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rvargas
Information

Post by rvargas »

jmwreck wrote:@ ForcedFire

I have noticed an error on the scheme and the board, I would like to ask on what to follow, the scheme or the board? I know I need not to ask this because the PNP's are there already, obviously the PNP looks the same to the components-board layout, but I wanted to make my own scheme and my own layout in a small way by revising a bit.

IIRC, there are at least two parts that made me confused.

1. the DELAY LEVEL wiper goes to C23 to R22 to pin 5 of IC1 in the schematic,
but looking at the board, it is from wiper to R22 to C23 to pin 5 of IC1.
2. the TIME lug 1 goes to R9 and R10 and R10 to C13 in the schematic,
but looking at the board, it is R9 and C13 that goes to TIME lug 1 not the R10.

I dont know if im sure and correct with my observations, but does it matter if they are arranged reversely? (I hope it does)
Hi jmwreck,

you are right in your observations. However electrically it makes no difference, in #1 and #2 the R and C are wired in series so it doesnt make much difference where you put each one.

I do have a question, in my build I do hear a POP when the LFO switches on and off.. especially on the "hard" settings required for a hearable tremolo. It's so bad I can't think about using it unless this gets fixed.. I thought maybe my D2 was sucking too much current (using a high brightness red LED) but I removed it and it is still hearable. I'm using NE5532 for the LFO. I've though of putting a filter cap for VCC to GND near the LFO IC, haven't tried it yet but maybe the noise I hear is propagated through VCC. Any other ideas? I will post a couple pics soon..

Thanks

merlinb
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by merlinb »

rvargas wrote: I do have a question, in my build I do hear a POP when the LFO switches on and off.. I'm using NE5532 for the LFO.
The 5532 is kinda current hungry (not to mention noisy in a stompbox), so it may be dumping pops onto your PSU. Try replacing it with a TL072 or other low-current opamp.