Baja BBE Sonic Stomp  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hi guys and gals
Just a short note to let you know, I have designed a BBE Sonic Stomp circuit board etc. using easily obtainable TL071, TL072, And TL074 ICs
I have also designed a replacement daughter board for a Sonic Stomp repair - Too hard to get an NJM2150AD chip locally, so necessity being the mother of invention, I designed and built a working replacement - just installed and tested it too!! Works a treat :wink:
Stay tuned - a complete project will be posted in the coming week
:D Cheers
bajaman

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

I"m looking forward to it !

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

Very Cool baja, can't wait!! 8)
Join together with the "Banned"!

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

See ya tomorrow bajaman! I can't wait to hear this! :-)

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

The wait is over - here it is :wink:
Baja Sonic Stump and replacement daughter board for BBE Sonic Stomp NJM2150AD
A full explanation and schematic will follow - must sleep now though 12:30 am here :wink:
The first image and layout is true to the original BBE Sonic Stomp
The second image is a verified working daughterboard - in case you have a Sonic Stomp that has a buggered NJM2150AD chip (like I did with a recent repair).
The third image is a DIY Sonic Stomp utilising the same components used on the daughterboard - I rotated one of the pots by 180 degrees to allow for a stable and easy mounting in a box - I got this idea from the Demeter tremulator mounting system, which I used on the Baja Trembulator also. I left the circuit traces for a dc printed circuit board mounting socket (same as the BBE) but I would recommend using a chassis mounted dc socket - I have seen far too many dry joints / loose sockets with PC mounted sockets :wink:

For your information - The NJM2150AD is a two channel processor, with built in electronically activated process, lo contour and mixing stages. In the Sonic stomp only one channel is used and all the electronic control and mixing stages are ignored. my daughterboard uses an input buffer, and a modified state variable filter, with a precision buffered v/2 supply rail, and the outputs are sent to the existing process and lo contour controls and the existing TL072 input and output mixing IC.
enjoy
:wink: bajaman
Attachments
BAJABBESONICSTOMPdaughterboard.png
Last edited by bajaman on 21 Aug 2007, 11:26, edited 3 times in total.

Kaos
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Super Sonic

Post by Kaos »

baja you're the real tone god :D
The camel is a horse designed by a committee that never met.

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

And it sounds GOOD! I heard it today. I can definitely see a use for this pedal to cut through the mix. Excellent work.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

UPDATE - my layouts contain a small error for the daughterboard and BAJA versions - I mistakenly assumed that the first stage of the TL074 was a unity gain buffer - it is NOT, it is a 6db non inverting gain stage :wink: I could modify the board layout BUT, there is an easier work around - change the 27k resistor around the TL072 to a 56k (27k + 27k in series), then the effect level will better match the bypass level and be almost 100% the same as the BBE unit level.

MODS - change the 39k resistor to a 10k + 50k lin potentiometer in series, for a midrange cut or boost control :wink: . AND change the 47n capacitor for changing the lo contour turnover (try 33n - 100n), OR change the 3n3 ( try 2n2 - 10n) capacitor for changing the process (high frequency) turnover point.
Cheers
bajaman

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I "found this" - it was a great help in reverse engineering the BBE Sonic Stomp - credit where credit is due :wink:
bajaman
BBE chip internals exposed
Last edited by bajaman on 21 Aug 2007, 11:19, edited 2 times in total.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Here is the schematic - i am not sure about the 10uf polarised electrolytic coupling capacitor - a bipolar ( or two 22uf electros back to back) would probably be a better choice, but it does work okay!
cheers
bajaman
Baja Sonic Stump schematic

bouli
Information

Post by bouli »

Hello !

Is somebody could explain to me ( with simple words if possible ) what's the utility of this circuit ?

i would like to now , what's going to happen to my sound when i m going to push the footswitch :lol:

thanks

ps : i'm really sorry for my dreadful english :?

krome_magnon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by krome_magnon »

bajaman wrote:Here is the schematic - i am not sure about the 10uf polarised electrolytic coupling capacitor - a bipolar ( or two 22uf electros back to back) would probably be a better choice, but it does work okay!
cheers
bajaman
Baja Sonic Stump schematic
So is this the schem for the whole thing or just the daughter board?

And am I right in thinking that the "legendary BBE process" is little more than a State Variable Filter based tone control? With the band pass output always on and the low pass (lo-contour) and high pass (process) outputs gain variable by altering the resistance value going into the summing stage?

In the BBE chip internals exposed schem the high pass output would be given some degree of dynamic variation according to the input signal. But... it still seems to be a fancy tone control.

Wonderfully clean and precise artwork on the PCBs by the way. 8)

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Is somebody could explain to me ( with simple words if possible ) what's the utility of this circuit ?
It is supposed to sharpen or focus the sound by altering the phase of the high and low frequencies and the controls allow the level of the highs and lows to be adjusted to suit the need.
More information is available on the BBE website - search for Sonic Stomp.
So is this the schem for the whole thing or just the daughter board?
it is the schem for the whole thing :wink: I will draw up a schem for just the daughter board and post it soon :)
And am I right in thinking that the "legendary BBE process" is little more than a State Variable Filter based tone control? With the band pass output always on and the low pass (lo-contour) and high pass (process) outputs gain variable by altering the resistance value going into the summing stage?
Yes, you are right :wink: :lol:
Wonderfully clean and precise artwork on the PCBs by the way
Thank you - I am learning from AG :wink:. I use Corel Draw 13 for all my layouts and schematics - takes a little more effort but allows mixing of images for easy cloning - unlike dedicated PCB drawing programs.
I have been using Corel Draw since version 2 - great program :wink:
cheers
bajaman[/quote]

krome_magnon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by krome_magnon »

bajaman wrote:Thank you - I am learning from AG :wink:. I use Corel Draw 13 for all my layouts and schematics - takes a little more effort but allows mixing of images for easy cloning - unlike dedicated PCB drawing programs.
I have been using Corel Draw since version 2 - great program :wink:
cheers
bajaman
I've used Corel Draw 6 for years and only changed to 8 when I got it for peanuts in a clearance sale. I recently moved to 12 for the same reason. But will probably go back to 8 because it seems to "handle better" and does more than I'll ever need anyway.

And going back to the BBE process all the "phase tweaking" blurb kind of looks like crap when you see under the lid. Stick a dual pot in the SVF part and you could make it a little more flexible by having it tuneable.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Stick a dual pot in the SVF part and you could make it a little more flexible by having it tuneable.
Now, that is what this forum is REALLY about - a very good mod :wink:
......and , how about a midrange tone control level as well - also, it may be a better choice for a very flexible tone shaping control after a distortion stage too. :wink:
Food for Thought here :wink:
bajaman

krome_magnon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by krome_magnon »

bajaman wrote:
Stick a dual pot in the SVF part and you could make it a little more flexible by having it tuneable.
Now, that is what this forum is REALLY about - a very good mod :wink:
......and , how about a midrange tone control level as well - also, it may be a better choice for a very flexible tone shaping control after a distortion stage too. :wink:
Food for Thought here :wink:
bajaman
Or insert loops in the outputs of the SVF so you can process the 3 bands individually etc.

Distorted midrange, chorused hi pass, and compressed lows.
A different flavour of distortion on each band.
A different echo on each band.
A different tremolo on each band.
Univibe style vibrato on the highs and lows with the mids cut for a more leslie like swirl.

Endless possibilities 8)

AL
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AL »

You should be able to do a patent search using "BBE" or something similar.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... BBE&RS=BBE

AL

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

Check this three posts by stm in a thread at the DIY forum from 2006:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg378161

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg378276

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg378369

A good deal of info on the BBE process and the NJM2150 (New Japan Radio) and BA3888S (Rohm) chip implementations, as well as a DIY version.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

thanks for the links Estragon - STM has made a good analysis, but could not find any DIY project links - no need though now :wink: :lol: , just an endless - try my settings - I use a GE7 etc. bunch of replies :roll: :roll:
cheers
bajaman

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

Bajaman, this is a link to the DIY project. It was submitted for FX-X, so you need to be logged in to have access:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg379782