Analogguru - FET-Booster

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

For the reason that I hate the (mis)-use of BS170, here is my FET-Booster design from the mid-80´s:

Analogguru FET-Booster schematic

enjoy,
analogguru
Attachments
Analogguru_FET-Booster.gif
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

bluetoad
Information

Post by bluetoad »

Nice little booster. Out of curiosity, what problem do you see with the use of the BS170?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Maybe because it's designed to be used as a switch, not an audio amp. I think they sound good in small amounts, but I'm currently breadboarding a thing that has 5 of 'em and their industrial nature is certainly beginning to show :lol: . But personally, I've had better luck getting them to bias up nice than I have had with JFETs - but maybe I'm just an idiot. The only thing I've been able to get to work good with JFETs are mu-amps. But I'll give AG's JFET booster a try and see if it behaves better for me than my previous attempts.

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

soulsonic wrote:Maybe because it's designed to be used as a switch, not an audio amp.
Wasn't the MPF102's purpose the same.....a switch?
Those are used quite a bit for amplification as well.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I think AG is refering to the way it is biased - but I may be wrong - he is the mosfet expert :wink:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Did anybody breadboard this yet?

I did, using a J201 transistor, and I got a very good clean boost from this circuit. However, although I followed and checked over and over:

- the bias pot functions as a gain control (bias is 5.13V at maximum gain and 8.70V at minimum gain (8.87V battery)
- the gain pot doesn't influence the sound or level in any audible way.
- the gain pot crackles!
- BF2415C (didn't have BF245A as suggested) didn't work (GSD pinout I know)
- Jfet that work are 2N5457 (less gain) and then I suppose MPF102, but didn't try that. K170, J112, J111, 2N3819 weren't useable either.

Note that gain and bias pot are parallel pots. 5KB for bias pot (functioning as gain control) work better than lower values, but about to just drop the original 'gain control'

Can anybody see what's going on here. I might have been stupid but it's boosting perfectly with a pot, cap and resistor less.

Maybe I should create my own project "Crackling JFETSHO"? I just hope AG doesn't find out or he'll sue me. You know how he is... :wink: You know you only need one building block to get started...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

The circuit is very simple. TP1 sets a fixed bias voltage on the collector and a fixed voltage on the base. Gain is then adjusted by the gain-pot. If gain is increased it doesn't alter the bias setting.

The SHO circuit is quite different and has a floating bias voltage on the collector and a floating base voltage, depending on the gain setting.
If you increase the gain the bias and base voltage is altered too

JHS

polarbearfx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by polarbearfx »

anyone have a layout of this boost?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

JHS wrote:The circuit is very simple. TP1 sets a fixed bias voltage on the collector and a fixed voltage on the base. Gain is then adjusted by the gain-pot. If gain is increased it doesn't alter the bias setting.
That's what you would think looking at the schematic, or rather infer from the controls. I'm saying I breadboarded the circuit and it works with bias pot (in shcematic) functioning as gain pot by changing the bias on the drain.
JHS wrote:a floating bias voltage on the collector and a floating base voltage, depending on the gain setting.
If you increase the gain the bias and base voltage is altered too
Breadboard it and see what you get!
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Meanderthal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Meanderthal »

Maybe because it's designed to be used as a switch, not an audio amp.
Aw, c'mon, that's what 2N404a were designed(and used) for, and they're a sweet sounding tranny... far superior to any of the AC128 I've tried.
Wasn't the MPF102's purpose the same.....a switch?
Heh- Mark beat me to it with a more appropriate example. Also... what about all those CMOS based circuits?

Nice little circuit analogguru. And, no crackle! :D

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

At the end of the week I will be at home - so in short for now:

The bias poti will have an influence on the gain - the gain poti shouldn´t have an influence on the bias.

By choosing the FET have a look at the Vgs to make it run.
A 2SK 30A should also work in this circuit.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

where are my breadboard brothers?

polarbearfx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by polarbearfx »

AG now how about a killer NPN based boost. single knob.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

AG now how about a killer NPN based boost. single knob.
I don´t know what it should do....and I also don´t know what should be "killer" ... with a single trqansistor NPN boost.

You can make a treble boost (Rangemaster, Brian May), a bass boost (Vox, EH), a full-range-boost (LPB-1, Big Muff output stage)....

It can distort like one big-muff stage....

You can easily convert every transistor-stage to noise-free (with a gain of 0)..... that could be "killer"...

analogguru

polarbearfx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by polarbearfx »

npn, it would be cool if it was loud and clean and sparkly I like npn's because with the vox and el84's to me they sound better than mosfets. I like rangemasters, but I like fullrange boosts like the "orman" mosfet boost. So if one could create an NPN version like this, that maybe cool. 1 knob for gain. Loud and clean and sparkly(not ice pick). Feeding that into a vox will be sweet. It would be like a modern day brian may.

polarbearfx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by polarbearfx »

I guess NPN is just not popular unless its a rangemaster. Fets year after year still raging.

newbie builder
Information

Post by newbie builder »

Try the beginner project over at DIYstompboxes for a simple NPN boost just like you described. I can take a look inside of mine to see what transistor I decided on after trying 4 or 5 but it compliments my AC15type amp beautifully and sounds great. I figured for a long time that since it was a "beginner" project it wasn't worth my time, but that little boost is actually one hell of a pedal.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

here is an unverified layout i just slapped together, feel free to use it, but please let me know if you build it and it works :)
AGJFETBoostPCBPnP.gif
AGJFETBoostPCBPnP.gif (2.31 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
AGJFETBoostPCBLayout.gif
AGJFETBoostPCBLayout.gif (11.89 KiB) Viewed 4179 times

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Barcode wrote:here is an unverified layout i just slapped together, feel free to use it, but please let me know if you build it and it works :)

Sorry, but the circuit has NOT been designed by Analogman....

analogguru

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

So sorry, no offense intended, error corrected :)