EMG Active Pickup Circuit?

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
slammer88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by slammer88 »

CHEEZOR wrote:
slammer88 wrote:https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=94138.0

got the similar problem with this guy ^^

"but there will always be a difference "hands up" vs. "hands down" when the bridge is grounded." is that true? if yes, how is this elimininated in EMG's ?
This is eliminated in EMG's because the bridge / strings are not grounded. Therefore, you will hear no difference between when your hands are touching the strings and when your hands aren't on the strings because they are not a part of the circuit. They are also extremely quite pickups so there isn't much noise either.
ah..true..so, what if i..disconnect them? :roll: :lol:

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

slammer88 wrote:ah..true..so, what if i..disconnect them? :roll: :lol:
Your hands or the strings / bridge? :scratch:

slammer88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by slammer88 »

CHEEZOR wrote:
slammer88 wrote:ah..true..so, what if i..disconnect them? :roll: :lol:
Your hands or the strings / bridge? :scratch:
:lol: The connection between bridge and ground :blackeye

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

slammer88 wrote:..so, what if i..disconnect them?
Try it and see. It might be better, it might be worse.

At 250 ohms it is not a very good connection anyway. It might just be upsetting the balance of the 2 coils into the differential amplifier so they are no longer hum-bucking.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

slammer88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by slammer88 »

deltafred wrote:
slammer88 wrote:..so, what if i..disconnect them?
Try it and see. It might be better, it might be worse.

At 250 ohms it is not a very good connection anyway. It might just be upsetting the balance of the 2 coils into the differential amplifier so they are no longer hum-bucking.
This humming was there before connecting the preamp, as well. And i think i should remember that, at the guitar chain there's an overdrive + hi-gain amp sim enabled on my sound demo :)

gmulak
Information

Post by gmulak »

Hi guys,
I have a big issue about baja preamp. I connected preamp with bridge pickup but I got poor signal there was no change:cry: I tried 3 opamp lf442,tl071 and tl061 step by step.. I got no response, only same reading.In addition, it is weird that when I removed opamp I got same poor signal..ıt continued working :!: :?:
I need help about connection. please help me!!! by the way, my pickup cover is chome and when I touch the pickup a strange pickup noise appears..
I need solutions..Please....I need detailed wiring document.. :cry:
Thanks..

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

gmulak wrote:Hi guys,
I have a big issue about baja preamp. I connected preamp with bridge pickup but I got poor signal there was no change:cry: I tried 3 opamp lf442,tl071 and tl061 step by step.. I got no response, only same reading.In addition, it is weird that when I removed opamp I got same poor signal..ıt continued working :!: :?:
I need help about connection. please help me!!! by the way, my pickup cover is chome and when I touch the pickup a strange pickup noise appears..
I need solutions..Please....I need detailed wiring document.. :cry:
Thanks..
It might help if you could post a detailed close up picture of the wiring that you have right now.

gmulak
Information

Post by gmulak »

Here is my wiring diagram. Any ideas? Solutions? If you can't see the schematic, use this link:

http://d1202.hizliresim.com/u/4/2dprk.jpg

I checked the preamps and its ok, working :thumbsup

I need help! Please :(

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I don't see how battery -ve/ground gets to the preamps (unless I am missing something completely obvious).
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

gmulak
Information

Post by gmulak »

deltafred wrote:I don't see how battery -ve/ground gets to the preamps (unless I am missing something completely obvious).
I connected the battery ground to the ring( on the guitar output). Shall I make connection with preamp ground section? :scratch:

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

gmulak wrote:
deltafred wrote:I don't see how battery -ve/ground gets to the preamps (unless I am missing something completely obvious).
I connected the battery ground to the ring( on the guitar output). Shall I make connection with preamp ground section? :scratch:

Connect the "ring" connection on the jack to both preamp ground points (the track marked "G" on Baja's PCB layout).

gmulak
Information

Post by gmulak »

:hmmm: Thanks for the help :D I'll try it tonight I m gonna share the results..
Cheers!

gmulak
Information

Post by gmulak »

deltafred wrote:
gmulak wrote:

Connect the "ring" connection on the jack to both preamp ground points (the track marked "G" on Baja's PCB layout).

I did as you said but it didnt work,regrettably :cry: When I touched the pickups, I got strange noise like humming :!: That is my guitar above, it has chrome pickup cover..I think there is no way to kill the hum.. Weird!! Any changes?

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

gmulak wrote::hmmm: Thanks for the help :D I'll try it tonight I m gonna share the results..
Cheers!
i've just looked at your diagram again and didn't notice the first time. You have your jack socket wired incorrectly. :oops:

You have the battery -ve to the tip, it should be to the ring, and the signal to the ring (centre connection) this should be to the tip.

The ground supply to the preamp boards should be connected to the jack screen (body), not the ring I said earlier. Sorry I missed it before.

Hope you follow that.

slammer88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by slammer88 »

Hey again. I've applied this preamp to my Bass guitar, and as i want to prevent the drain of 9V, i've bought a stereo jack to use its "ring" lug. However, i've faced a problem. When i connect the 9V's negative lug to ring "directly", it will not give any sound at all, but if i make the connections like i did in the attachment, it works fine but i'm not sure either the circuit still works when disconnected or not. My pickup has 4 cables, black, yellow, and soldered red-white. You can see the connection i've made at the attachment. If i separate the red-white lugs, connect them to IN + and IN - and solder the negative lug of 9V to "ring", it works, BUT it has halfway less gain than it has with the previous connection..

What's wrong?
Attachments
Adsız.jpg

slammer88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by slammer88 »

and shall i change the volume pot into a 25k both for my guitar and bass?

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

slammer88 wrote:and shall i change the volume pot into a 25k both for my guitar and bass?
Get it working first.

The battery -ve ONLY to the "ring" connection, all other ground connections to the "sleeve".

This is so that when you insert a mono jack it shorts the ring to sleeve connections and connects the battery to the preamps.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

deltafred wrote:
slammer88 wrote:and shall i change the volume pot into a 25k both for my guitar and bass?
Get it working first.

The battery -ve ONLY to the "ring" connection, all other ground connections to the "sleeve".

This is so that when you insert a mono jack it shorts the ring to sleeve connections and connects the battery to the preamps.
Agreed. That is the correct way to wire it. And the 25k pots should only be used if you are unhappy with the sound once everything is functioning properly. I have an EMG 81/85 set in a guitar and I used 1 master volume + master tone that was 500K, and then a push pull to route the signal through a 25K master volume + master tone combo so I could A/B them easily. As it turns out, I never use the 25K route since there is significantly less volume and I wanted a balls-out metal sound with that guitar.

slammer88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by slammer88 »

deltafred wrote:
Get it working first.

Well then, as i've said, if i connect the -ive lug to "ring" and use "yellow" cable as out, i can't get any sound from guitar, but if i use use red-white cables, i get a sound but its significantly weaker that it was on yellow..

You can see my
Attachments
09022012441.jpg

slammer88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by slammer88 »

slammer88 wrote:
deltafred wrote:
Get it working first.

Well then, as i've said, if i connect the -ive lug to "ring" and use "yellow" cable as out, i can't get any sound from guitar, but if i use use red-white cables, i get a sound but its significantly weaker that it was on yellow..

You can see my
Solved! I was using a wrong lug. A multimeter solved my problem.. :horsey:

"mono jack it shorts the ring to sleeve connections and connects the battery to the preamps"

i've checked the lugs, and saw, two of them are connected when a mono jack plugged in, but disconnected when its plugged out :block:

According to this, the