BUZZAROUND-ALIKE

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
brushthrower
Information

Post by brushthrower »

roseblood11 wrote:I got a bunch of ten 2n1302´s today. Eight of them sound absolutely great :D
What are the hfe on those, roseblood11?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

I haven´t measured them yet.
Datasheet says "min 20, max 200" or s.th. like that. Sounds like they are below 120, I guess...

Look for "minifux" on ebay...

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Haha, sauber! Haste noch einen übrig? Die PCB fliegt sonst bei mir hier nur ungenutzt rum.;)

kaycee
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kaycee »

Heres my finished build of this one. Many thanks to Mictester for the circuit design and to Roseblood for the layout, this thing is a little terror 8)

In the end I too used a 2N1302, hfe of 33 and zero leakage. This thing is stupid loud, great sustain and fuzz. The Balance and Sustain controls are a little unusual in their operation. The Timbre can dial in a piercing treble that is clear but not thin - different enough from a Face and a Bender to be well worth the build - nice one folks!

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

kaycee wrote:
In the end I too used a 2N1302, hfe of 33 and zero leakage. This thing is stupid loud, great sustain and fuzz. The Balance and Sustain controls are a little unusual in their operation. The Timbre can dial in a piercing treble that is clear but not thin - different enough from a Face and a Bender to be well worth the build - nice one folks!
The interaction of the controls is one of the things I really liked - my two builds each differ slightly (the germaniums have different characteristics), and I built them with preset resistors and nothing apart from the bypass switch and an LED indicator on the outside of the box. They were "set up and forget" units, because I found that I wasn't ever changing the settings on the original one once I'd dialled in a sound I liked!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Really nice build!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I actually managed to find a schematic for the Burns Buzzaround,just going to see if I can upload it.... :)
Attachments
Burns Buzzaround Schematic
Burns Buzzaround Schematic
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hey,correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't the above schematic look alot like a Sola-Sound Tonebender 3-knob?..... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

DrNomis wrote:Hey,correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't the above schematic look alot like a Sola-Sound Tonebender 3-knob?..... :)
You're not wrong - they're quite similar.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

DrNomis wrote:I actually managed to find a schematic for the Burns Buzzaround,just going to see if I can upload it.... :)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1211&hilit=burns+buzzaround :wink:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Good call RnFR.... :)

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Little ones

Post by joegore »

Just breadboarded the mictester schematic, and it sounds fantastic -- and I greatly prefer it to the three-germ Buzzaround I made a few months ago. No way would I ever again make one with more than one germ transistor!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Hey Everyone,

Just been reading all the posts here,and I have been inspired to try building this circuit,i don't happen to have any 2N1302 NPN Germanium Transistors,but I do happen to have a set of 3 2N1304 NPN Ge Transistors,and a set of 3 2N2048 PNP Ge Transistors,they range in Hfe from about 86 to 120,not sure how much leakage they all have,I've tried them all in a Fuzz Face circuit and they all work fine,so I was wondering if they will work in this circuit too?... :)

All help and advice much appreciated...thanks in advance..... :)

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Just try it... The npn´s for the buzzaround-alike and the pnp´s for the original buzzaround.

I gave my first pedal away and built a second one, with a transistor that has almost the same values as the one in my first built. (I even tried both transistors in that pedal, they sounded identical).
But my second pedal sounds like crap. Sputtery decay, sounds totally broken... Tried different leakage transistors and a 50k trimpot instead of the 27k. It seems to be totally misbiased. I really don´t understand it.

Could someone who has a good sounding pedal, please post the measured voltages at the pins of the transistor?

regards, Immo

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

by roseblood11 » Today, 12:30
Just try it... The npn´s for the buzzaround-alike and the pnp´s for the original buzzaround.

I gave my first pedal away and built a second one, with a transistor that has almost the same values as the one in my first built. (I even tried both transistors in that pedal, they sounded identical).
But my second pedal sounds like crap. Sputtery decay, sounds totally broken... Tried different leakage transistors and a 50k trimpot instead of the 27k. It seems to be totally misbiased. I really don´t understand it.

Could someone who has a good sounding pedal, please post the measured voltages at the pins of the transistor?

regards, Immo

Hi Roseblood11,

It sounds like it could be a biasing issue to me,I'd start by measuring voltages with a multimeter.... :)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Okay,I'm just working on making the stripboard for this thing now,if this works properly,I'll go through it with a multimeter and write down the voltages so I can post them in here for everyone.... :)

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

DrNomis wrote:by roseblood11 » Today, 12:30

regards, Immo

Hi Roseblood11,

It sounds like it could be a biasing issue to me,I'd start by measuring voltages with a multimeter.... :)

When it works, I´ll call it the "Clairvoyant Fuzz" :wink:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Lol...a fuzz pedal that can see into the future....good one... :D

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

I just bread boarded this one up and it is pretty cool. Took some playing around with the controls to get good sounds. I found a great low gain sound as well as a screaming fuzz sound. Only complaint is that I can't quite totally eliminate the gated decay in the hi gain sound...almost but not quite. I used an NPN AC127 transistor. Tried it with and without the 1 meg resistor on the bass and it worked much better without. I didn't check the hfe of the 127 but the first one i tried worked so I went with it. There has to be a way to bias this thing so there is no gated decay? :hmmm:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Finally!!

Here is my finished Buzzaroundalike Board,I had to substitute a couple of 22k resistors for R10 and R8,this should work fine because all these resistors are doing is providing a 4.5V reference for both sections of IC 1,I didn't have any 2N1302 Ge NPN transistors,but I did have three 2N1304 Ge NPN transistors,so
I used one with a gain of 100,now all I need to do is wait till I can buy a case,footswitch,pots,knobs,sockets,battery clip and holder,so I can put it all together,I'm also going to add a 3mm blue indicator led(my trademark).... :)
Attachments
Finished Buzzaroundalike Board.JPG