VOX v846 Repro Board [PCB & Layout]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

It was posted here and there, but without parts layout.

Possible mods;
- Change 33k resistor to 100k for McCoy spec
- Drop 33k resistor, change 100k resistor which is in parallel to 4uF (BP) cap to 82k, and change inductor from 500mH to 250mH and bang! Grey spec
- For Colorsound Wah spec as fallow - 68k resistor needs to be replaced with 100k, 470R jumpered, 33k omitted, 4uF BP change to polarized 10uF (negative ground), 1k resistor needs to be jumpered and you're done

Some transistors need to be changed, as for example:
- v486 2N5172
- McCoy BC109 or BC173
- Grey wah 2N3707 or BC150
- Colorsound - I have no fucking idea - do some research

As per parts used in original 486;
- in place of .22uF's often we see tropicaps, others are common
- .01uF's are Ducati small radial styroflex's, I can't find ANY small radial styroflex caps, only axial, maybe you'll have more luck, if so let me know, I'll gladly take some from you for fair price
- 4uF bipolar cap is also pain to find, no mention Ducati's :D I'm sure standard 4,7uF will do just fine

AFAIK trannies with around 200hfe sounds best, but I don't believe they'd care much back then in 60-70's

Thanks for watching, thanks is always welcome, good night

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

BTW, some sources says, if you replace the .22uF cap (the one which goes to mid lug of wah poti) to .33uF then it helps to emulate original Icar cap if you haven't got one ;) Other sources says that CTS do 90% wah pots out there and they all have Icar type taper, so you can screw this mod

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

This is the diagram I use for McCoy/Italian V846 clones, essentially the same but with some ideas.
V846 layout BC109b.bmp
V846 layout BC109b.bmp (1.52 MiB) Viewed 3556 times
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

and the original schematic:
vox_v846_wah_1967.pdf
(101.43 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Yep, the same thing... I was wondering why 33k resistor is placed in so fucked up way... I think it's because they at Thomas-Organ used Grey Wah spec sheet at first, and then twicked circuit after... I bet we have more knowing gurus here if we're speaking about wah history.

Here's some more pdf's with additional info

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by timbo_93631 »

Hey doods!
I have this up on ebay right now, it is a Clyde McCoy Signature/V846 clone, uses the Sabbadius Soul inductor and sounds freak good. PCB is same as layout above. I used a 4.7uf electrolytic, as mentioned in the "pimp my cheap GCB-95", thread nothing changes with larger than 4uf value, it is only under 4uf that it stops wahing properly. Also it has true bypass, and the resistor that parallels the inductor is 68k, not quite as thin sounding as McCoy 100k spec, not so honky as 33k... Q1 is 283Hfe, right on the money for vintage sound... Youtube clip:

Also has my Rangemater clone on part of the clip with boost set at 30%, .039uF input cap (midboost) selected for single coils.

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by timbo_93631 »

Rangemater! Ha, yeah.... I meant Rangemaster!

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Well done Bro!

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by timbo_93631 »

Thanks Sinner!
Still lovin your avatar! Makes me laugh every time! Gonna pump out a couple more of these wahs in the next few weeks. I gotta sell enough so I can keep one too! But I'm never selling my Rangemaster clone, I got a CV7003 that is great, low leakage and right Hfe.... Hooray! :applause:

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

timbo_93631 wrote:Thanks Sinner!
Still lovin your avatar! Makes me laugh every time!

So my mom is funny? This is what you saying? :D
timbo_93631 wrote:Gonna pump out a couple more of these wahs in the next few weeks. I gotta sell enough so I can keep one too! But I'm never selling my Rangemaster clone, I got a CV7003 that is great, low leakage and right Hfe.... Hooray! :applause:
Yeah, I love my CV7003 to, non of them are leaky, actually - none of any of my CVxxxx I are leaky. I feel secure buying those.

Your RM is on the front of the wah in your video? Sounds lush!!!

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by timbo_93631 »

Your mom IS funny! And yeah I have just wah, then kick on the RM, you can hear the pop (who needs pulldown resistors anyhow?!?), then I kick it back off an lower the volume to the amp with my volume pedal (GCB-95 shell, use the switch for tremolo on and off with the supro). Just found a filmcan inductor on eBay today... It is being sold as-is and no returns, has a really short lead on one side, and the guy doen't have an LCR meter to check the inductance.... Time to gamble I guess! Take care buddy!

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Yep! Pulldown resistors are for babes ;)

Ones again - good job mate!

aegert
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aegert »

any idea which inductors fit?

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

No idea Sir, try whipple, you may have to adopt this layout little

aegert
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aegert »

sinner wrote:No idea Sir, try whipple, you may have to adopt this layout little
Thanks

Whipple is not the original spacing I have a bunch with original spacing I have a couple of whipples I'm sure one will fit. if not I will just drill a hole and run as if perf board

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I think it's easier (and cleaner) just to resize the image before making PCB ;)

Your choice :thumbsup

aegert
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aegert »

sinner wrote:I think it's easier (and cleaner) just to resize the image before making PCB ;)

Your choice :thumbsup
That to... LOL

I have someone sending me a couple of boards... funny I have built so many point to point, turret and tag board amps but never etched my own boards. I keep threatening myself to do it but that just means going out and getting clad board and solvents and then having to drill the whole thing (breaks because of insentient violin playing) my brain hurts...

All kidding aside I should do that if the boards that show up are spaced wrong I will do that. But I am sure that one of the inductors i have here or one I can wind will fit it..

A :-)

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Look here https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 19&t=16150

There is my perfboard layout for one, it's clean and sweet, way better than this PCB imo

aegert
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aegert »

sinner wrote:Look here https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 19&t=16150

There is my perfboard layout for one, it's clean and sweet, way better than this PCB imo
bIG THUMBS UP THANKS!

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

my wah....
Attachments
Andy VOX wah Clyde.jpg