Pedal Projects needs your help!

Posts on strange stompboxes on ebay, old amps from a garage sale, new boutique businesses, great deals, all these topics go in here.
geiristudio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by geiristudio »

Hey there fellow gear enthusiasts and/or builders!

I wanted to share this with you guys as an attempt to get some awareness about what I'm doing right now. I hope that people consider this something worthy of checking out and possibly helping too.

I'll do a quick introduction: My name is Ásgeir, I'm 25 years old and I live in a tiny tiny town in Iceland called Flateyri. I build pedals under the name Pedal Projects and I've been at it for just over three years now. It was only earlier this year that I started paying myself a minimum wage, which means that business has been increasing. As a matter of fact, business is increasing so much that I started this campaign to make things go better.

I started an Indiegogo campaign to raise money for a laser engraver, which I've been using for more than a year now. It's my method of applying artwork and it's what I know how to do. I prefer it that way and I need a laser of my own to be able to do this in-house. That will speed up my work immensely!

There are LOTS of perks available and the biggest one is a full pedal board with Pedal Projects pedals, wired up and powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ (230V version).

Here's a link to the campaign:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/peda ... /x/8393522

Here's a photo of the pedalboard available through the campaign:

I will be forever grateful to those who contribute and I don't think I'm asking for much when I ask people to share this on the social media.

Thank you!
-Ásgeir

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

I really appreciate you candor but.... If I may clarify...

You want others to donate $1000 to help buy an expensive piece of machinery to assist with YOUR business and, in return, you are offering to send them a pedalboard with 5 pedals and 1 splitter, a power supply, and cables which one could build themselves for less than $200 USD?

Might want to re-think your plan there brother! I can appreciate the kickstarter campaign but the asking prices FAR outweigh the offerings. :secret:

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Hi Ásgeir,

My first build artwork was as ugly as your first one. :wink:

The innards matched the artwork too, I'm afraid. :mrgreen:

Now I've improved both : build is reliable and neat, artwork is kept minimal so that I don't mess it even more.

It seems you've improved graphics too, and want to push it even further. But what about the inside of your pedals?

Care to share the guts of the pedalboard shown on the picture?
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

You're running a business. So sell a product people want, save the profits, and invest when you're ready. If your business can't raise the money and you can't get a bank to loan you the money, you probably actually aren't ready.

And sorry, you seem nice enough, but I'm not giving you my money for a capital investment for your business.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Astrobass has some great points. If you make pedals that people really want, they'll buy it from you anyway. Then it doesn't matter if there's text on it is a water slide decal, silk screened or laser engraved. Focus on the important things first, then the rest will follow.
A fine example is Skreddy Pedals. It's been ten years after he sold his first Mayonaise pedal and Mark is currently in the process of phasing out decals and switching to silk screening.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

lolbou wrote:...But what about the inside of your pedals?

Care to share the guts of the pedalboard shown on the picture?
+1! Let's see what's inside...
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Many people are making the same pedals, so what stands out about your's to make them more desirable?
If you've just shot gunned this into as many grps as you can and you want to build a following you have to work and maintain
these connections to build & grow business. If you're hoping for the best it'll just be people who know you, so make more friends.

I'm getting more random kickstart emails and none are compelling enough [ or any kind of deal ] for me to contribute, value is just not there.

DopeyV
Information

Post by DopeyV »

A simple Google search shows the guts.

http://www.pedalprojects.com/collections/frontpage

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes I've seen inside a few Pedal Projects effects and the quality always looked extremely good to me. Boards look really smart and the soldering and offboard are spot on.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Agreed. Build quality looks good ;) Great work there!
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

DopeyV wrote:A simple Google search shows the guts.

http://www.pedalprojects.com/collections/frontpage
:oops: Must admit I did not perform the search...

Looks really nice and steady : congrats Ásgeir :applause: ...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

And yet Asgeir has not responded or checked this site for feedback yet ?

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

okgb wrote:I'm getting more random kickstart emails and none are compelling enough [ or any kind of deal ] for me to contribute, value is just not there.
On top of that: :D

I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

okgb wrote:And yet Asgeir has not responded or checked this site for feedback yet ?
Simple explanation...

Why follow up here and cater to people who might want to invest in your venture when you can just make a random post asking for cash and hope that the money will roll in? (cough... cough... Kickstarter... cought)

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Exactly .....................

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

geiristudio, 20 Jun 2011 wrote:Okay, there are some resistors and stuff. I started to look around on banzaimusic to order the parts but then I got these options: http://www.banzaimusic.com/Resistors/.
How do I know from this type of schematic which type of resistors to use ? I know the complicated schematics show which type to use. I will learn by time to read them properly.
One last thing, what's the "E B C" going down in the bottom middle ?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13458&p=150536#p150536

Three years later he's selling Klones... coming on here to beg for money probably not realizing where the Klon schemo came from.
This is just advertisements -- looking at his pcb and the number of facebook likes (almost 12k) he's got money to spend.

Still a lot to learn:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23887

Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

DopeyV
Information

Post by DopeyV »

I do not see the relevance between being able to understand or design electronics to being able to build a quality pedal.

Like many companies, you have the designer and the builder.

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

You know...we all start somewhere. I probably have plenty of cringe inducing posts on many forums. I think a person is able to grow in a short amount of time and if the work ethic is there and the products are quality then I don't really care. But...these are just clones and as history shows kickstarters and pedal companies don't mix. I would support a kickstarter for true innovation or to help a friend but not to help someone build more clones.

I also don't think of it as donating. The kickstarter has to offer something in return but instead of giving out things for money on kickstarter, I would just sell things for money with the goal of purchasing the much needed equipment. It's tried and true and if you can't sell enough to expand then you probably shouldn't expand.
Last edited by Bill_Mountain on 27 Aug 2014, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Yep. My circuit understanding is much greater than the day I have joined FSB

Not great - just greater ;-)

But on the other hand I don't own pedal/amp company

DopeyV
Information

Post by DopeyV »

''history shows kickstarters and pedal companies don't mix''

With this I do agree, Devi's is a fine example of that.