Dallas Rangemaster for only $5.111,--

Posts on strange stompboxes on ebay, old amps from a garage sale, new boutique businesses, great deals, all these topics go in here.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Here you can inwaste your hardly earned money:
https://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Dallas-Ra ... dZViewItem

analoguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

not bad...not bad.... :blackeye

asfastasdark
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800 Stack
Completed builds: Squier Strat mods: Bridge series switch, killswitch (toggle switch) that is only active when bridge series switch is on, killswitch (momentary) on a friend's Squier. Acoustic mods: Nut fixation.

Post by asfastasdark »

That's a really cool find, not necessarily that insane price, but that he includes gut shots of what a crappy wiring job it was, and that pot looks so funny! I've never seen one like that before... were all the really old pots like that?

RLBJR65
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by RLBJR65 »

That is a wire wound pot.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

RLBJR65 wrote:That is a wire wound pot.
...because wire wound potentiometers produce less "crackle" (only) in this application.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Torchy
Information

Post by Torchy »

Back of pot says 'carbon' ...

I'll buck the trend here and say that is a serious collectors item and will sell at that price. That's the cleanest and most perfect example of an original RM I've seen. The insides look new. I don't consider the wiring to be "crappy", it's almost ptp and is quite tidy by the standards of the day. Given the original box and (sort-of) accompanying leaflet etc it will sell. Insane price, but that's the market.

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

I've gotta concur with Torchy's assesment of the pedal listed. The interior of the thing looks "medically sanitized".
That is, it meets the real meaning of "dead mint". As in it looks like it could've rolled out the factory yesterday

To some collectors that price is meerly a group of numbers that are the final link in order to fulfill
the buyer's fetish/desire for an alleged Holy Grail tone generator.

Am I envious much? Maybe a little to be so frivolous with respect to pocket money.

But I know deep in my jaundiced soul that there are no "Grail" FX, or axes, or amps per se. With all the FX
circuits that have been unveiled at this site, it should be obvious to anyone that none of them were their instant
link to a major label deal or throngs of adoring pre-teens foisting their damp cotton undergarments into your pocket
just to hear your Number #1 hit, with a bullet. [...With a bullet...Pow!]

So which Rangemaster came first? This style with the white cable & OC71. Or the black cable ones with an OC44?
I'm going to agree with the seller, Marc Bolan's guitar sounded so freakin' tough during the 20th Century Boy, Slider
period. But he wrote better songs during the first "acoustic" albums.

I love the wee little Rangemaster I built with a CV 7003 and a .0068uf input cap. It makes me play alot longer when
I can crank my amps and display the sweet interaction of this barebones stomperoo. 8)
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office