Indyguitarist kits promo thread

Posts on strange stompboxes on ebay, old amps from a garage sale, new boutique businesses, great deals, all these topics go in here.
aziltz
Information

Post by aziltz »

ibodog2 wrote:I thought I saw in an email or a board post somewhere that these were soon to become build-it-yourself kits. Can anyone else confirm?

that would be awesome!

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

Brian is in the process of starting a new site!
http://buildyourownpedal.com/

Its still in the works......
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Oh, didn't know Wampler was going kits. Nobody ever made any real money on boutique pedals, but kits is the way to go. You sell the parts at 3 times the price and there's no labour involved - except for drilling boxes (at an extra few dollars). Nobody understood or even thought about that until BYOC team stupidly showed off their TNT machine at diystompboxes....

I don't like or even understand the question: you suppose a lot of people have schematics on their hard disk that they don't share... I don't even want to think about that. The day a real FSB member will come across one of these pedals, you will see the gut shots appearing right away.

Schematic requests are ok for factory stuff, copyrighted and not publishable on the www. This stuff will have to be shared in private. You know. But this... I think if you mail Brian he will tell you all about it... he's a nice guy...

So check your hard disk and pedal collection for what you can share, rather than asking for schematic #1001 before saying thanks for the #1000 other schematics available.... If you really cannot stand these circuits being a mystery, buy a unit, photograph it, share it and in that way, inspire others to do the same. Even if it's a cheapo Danelectro or what else... you never know who you could be helping out in the longer run.

"To get the info you want, share the info you have." is my motto. I'll put it in my sig in a minute...

modman
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

aziltz
Information

Post by aziltz »

modman wrote:Oh, didn't know Wampler was going kits. Nobody ever made any real money on boutique pedals, but kits is the way to go. You sell the parts at 3 times the price and there's no labour involved - except for drilling boxes (at an extra few dollars). Nobody understood or even thought about that until BYOC team stupidly showed off their TNT machine at diystompboxes....

I don't like or even understand the question: you suppose a lot of people have schematics on their hard disk that they don't share... I don't even want to think about that. The day a real FSB member will come across one of these pedals, you will see the gut shots appearing right away.

Schematic requests are ok for factory stuff, copyrighted and not publishable on the www. This stuff will have to be shared in private. You know. But this... I think if you mail Brian he will tell you all about it... he's a nice guy...

So check your hard disk and pedal collection for what you can share, rather than asking for schematic #1001 before saying thanks for the #1000 other schematics available.... If you really cannot stand these circuits being a mystery, buy a unit, photograph it, share it and in that way, inspire others to do the same. Even if it's a cheapo Danelectro or what else... you never know who you could be helping out in the longer run.

"To get the info you want, share the info you have." is my motto. I'll put it in my sig in a minute...

modman

why am i getting ripped by an admin in public?

I've read through your forum, and every thread is started the same way, someone shows interest in pedal, in one way or anything. I've searched and searched and its been very helpful, but these are newer pedals that I just want to know what kind of circuits are inside.

I have plenty of schematics to share, but nothing that you haven't got here, yet. I'm here for information, and to share feedback, if that's not in line with the forum's mission statement i'll gladly refrain from posting anything.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Sikor wrote:
The day a real FSB member will come across one of these pedals, you will see the gut shots appearing right away.
I am not real FSB member, but I have something to show finally :)
You are now :thumbsup Do you have the other side of the board as well?

Super Eternity Estacy Modificationary Tubescreamery... :hmmm:
aziltz wrote:Wampler Super Ecstacy or CrankedAC?
Schematics?
Verb? thanks?

Yes I know a lot of threads start out as requests, but don't wait for that. Just check what you can contribute, even if it's a cheapo DOD or old weird brand...

No offense to anyone, just keeping down the TGP levels. :blackeye
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

modman wrote:Oh, didn't know Wampler was going kits. Nobody ever made any real money on boutique pedals, but kits is the way to go. You sell the parts at 3 times the price and there's no labour involved - except for drilling boxes (at an extra few dollars). Nobody understood or even thought about that until BYOC team stupidly showed off their TNT machine at diystompboxes....

problem with kits if that there needs to be a system to troubleshoot. Too many people "screws up"

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

oh crap! I forgot to goop those! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

aziltz
Information

Post by aziltz »

indyguitarist wrote:super ecstasy is a basic opamp clipper with bass boosts, from there go to a cap, diodes to ground on a switch, tone control is basically what people call the stupid wonderful tone control (IIRC - I don't remember the exact schem of mark's but it's basically the same thing). From there into a jfet gain stage and then into the volume control.

Pinnacle (i think I stated this somewhere else, but can't find the thread)... basically a jfet mu-amp (bsiab-ish) setup, into that big muff style tone control, into a variable twin t type filter for mid control (contour), into a jfet (actually, your version just goes straight out to volume here, but the newer version goes into another jfet stage then to volume).

bright switch is a normal cap to ground off of the twin t, it just lifts it off ground.

The big box ecstasy had the bass control wired like the timmy pedal, just a pot off the feedback loop.

The pinnacle gain switch just changes the resistors on the mu-amp gates. As far as building kits, (and even pedals really...) you never make money by building pedals... you make money by SELLING pedals. And honestly, more time is spent in talking to customers than building pedals. If I had to build everything myself I wouldn't sell anything.

bw
thanks for explaining your designs brian. I'm really excited about you releasing some (all?) of them as kits.

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

props to Brian! Not afraid to talk with people!
C.S. Lewis

Sikor
Information

Post by Sikor »

indyguitarist wrote:super ecstasy is a basic opamp clipper with bass boosts, from there go to a cap, diodes to ground on a switch, tone control is basically what people call the stupid wonderful tone control (IIRC - I don't remember the exact schem of mark's but it's basically the same thing). From there into a jfet gain stage and then into the volume control.
Thanks for the explanation. And I have to say, that SE is a great pedal! I love it, it's definitely staying on my board :thumbsup

Pinnacle [...] into a jfet (actually, your version just goes straight out to volume here, but the newer version goes into another jfet stage then to volume).
What would be the difference sonically? I actually prefer smaller box (I don't need a boost),
but I wasn't aware that there are changes in the circiut too.
Practice cures most tone issues - John Suhr
--
My Musikmesse 2012 gallery and more...

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

Sikor wrote:
indyguitarist wrote:
Pinnacle [...] into a jfet (actually, your version just goes straight out to volume here, but the newer version goes into another jfet stage then to volume).
What would be the difference sonically? I actually prefer smaller box (I don't need a boost),
but I wasn't aware that there are changes in the circiut too.
It basically just boosts the volume a bit. In the next version I'm changing the tone stack to a 3 band eq - baxandall bass/treble into a volume boost stage into a variable twin t filter into a volume. Buffered input and output however. It's my most favorite version yet! :)
sevinisthenumber wrote:props to Brian! Not afraid to talk with people!
honestly... I get a kick out of people gooping stupid simple circuits. These effect circuits are not rocket science...most overdrives, distortions, and fuzzes are common ideas with the difference being pre and post eq options. And as far as any other builder worried about getting ripped off... give me a break guys... the hard part isn't the designing of the circuit... it's the selling of the pedal. Design wise, you either have the ears and ideas for it or not. Those who copy part for part IMO have no ears.

bw

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

honestly... I get a kick out of people gooping stupid simple circuits. These effect circuits are not rocket science...most overdrives, distortions, and fuzzes are common ideas with the difference being pre and post eq options. And as far as any other builder worried about getting ripped off... give me a break guys... the hard part isn't the designing of the circuit... it's the selling of the pedal. Design wise, you either have the ears and ideas for it or not. Those who copy part for part IMO have no ears.

bw
I agree. Theres nothing new under the sun. Just new ways of arranging what is already here. I like you honesty Brian. Greed never makes money in the end. Thanks for sharing!
C.S. Lewis

Lawnchair
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Lawnchair »

Brian is a Diy Hall of Famer. No steroids detected. I'm drunk.

B Tremblay
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B Tremblay »

modman wrote:Nobody ever made any real money on boutique pedals, but kits is the way to go... ...and there's no labour involved - except for drilling boxes (at an extra few dollars)...
As already mentioned, the time spent on tech support for those kits is important to consider. There are a lot of possible mistakes when someone picks up an iron for the first time and begins soldering by numbers.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

B Tremblay wrote:
modman wrote:Nobody ever made any real money on boutique pedals, but kits is the way to go... ...and there's no labour involved - except for drilling boxes (at an extra few dollars)...
As already mentioned, the time spent on tech support for those kits is important to consider. There are a lot of possible mistakes when someone picks up an iron for the first time and begins soldering by numbers.
technical support is when you buy a finished product and it breaks down before the warrenty has expired. If the instructions are verified and clear, and he user cannot complete the build, it's the user's lack of persistence that's the reason of the failure, not the supplier of the kit.

And there's always diystompboxes.com archives --

B Tremblay
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B Tremblay »

modman wrote:technical support is when you buy a finished product and it breaks down before the warrenty has expired. If the instructions are verified and clear, and he user cannot complete the build, it's the user's lack of persistence that's the reason of the failure, not the supplier of the kit.
How much repeat business would be generated for a kit seller who refuses any help to inexperienced builders? Or new business, if the disgruntled builder shares their tale with others?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

aziltz
Information

Post by aziltz »

modman wrote:
technical support is when you buy a finished product and it breaks down before the warrenty has expired. If the instructions are verified and clear, and he user cannot complete the build, it's the user's lack of persistence that's the reason of the failure, not the supplier of the kit.

And there's always diystompboxes.com archives --
byoc does a great job with technical support...

if your product is something to build, your tech support is build help.

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Indy has a great forum for help and other stuff!
C.S. Lewis

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

On questions you could have on a kit should be answered beforehand, ie. in the instruction sheet. That these kit sellers have forums online is no proof of tech support, rather the proof of the opposite: users can help out one another.

Kits are exactly aimed at inexperienced builders, so should be foolproof.

There was this guy who bought a brand new amp for a respectable store. When he unpacked the amp at home and put in new tubes, he tried it and got no sound. He returned it to the store and picked it up a day later after the guy called him to say that they couldn't find anything wrong. He took it home again, but when he plugged in again, no sound at all!

According to you guys the store should still be giving support to this moron whose guitar cable is probably broken....Maybe they do, just to please the customer.

In fact you are only paying such a massive amount, not for the few components, but for the information and documentation included and the guarantee that it will work (if assembled as shown). This is different from schematics and layout just 'found' on the web.

I have a lot of respect for companies who also put their stuff freely available on the web for hardcore DIY-ers: GGG, Tonepad, Runoffgroove etc. They didn't have any support forum because the whole builder's community was assembled at diystompboxes.com. But for a lot of new BYOC builders diystompboxes.com is not the way they got into stompbox building... they came from TGP or other non-builderbased fansites.

Some of them are only intersted in BYOC as a way to get a cheap Landgraff or other boutique boxes, thereby sadly continuing the myth... but at least they can tell their friends that ugly grey box is 'a landgraff clone I built myself' rather than a 'DIY TS kit.'

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

After writing several books, selling DIY mod kits for years, etc, I would imagine that Brian has gotten pretty good at writing pretty "bulletproof" instruction manuals. I'm sure there will be people with problem builds, but I would seriously doubt that it was due to "faulty instructions".