SAD1024

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
paperhouse
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by paperhouse »

Are the $15 chips from Smallbear really the best deal out there?

Ronsonic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ronsonic »

Yes.

About a year ago or so I ordered one and it took a couple of months. When I mentioned that over in DIYS when the subject came up I was greeted with the usual harangues, but among them was an assurance that my experience was not going to be repeated and now it was all in-stock and ready to go.

Ron

Stephengiles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stephengiles »

paperhouse wrote:Are the $15 chips from Smallbear really the best deal out there?
How much would you expect to pay for a BBD chip that has been out of production for how many years.......15, 20??

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Stephengiles wrote:
paperhouse wrote:Are the $15 chips from Smallbear really the best deal out there?
How much would you expect to pay for a BBD chip that has been out of production for how many years.......15, 20??
....and which has costed during its time of production at least $15,-- (more than 25 years ago) ? :roll:

Yes, BBD´s were expensive.... only RAM´s/EPROM´s were more expensive:
A 2716 (2k x 8 Eprom, single supply 5V) costed in 1979 $70,-- bargain price.
A 2102LFPC (1k x 1 RAM) costed about $2,--, but you needed 8 pcs for 1kByte.... this makes $16,--/kByte.

Now you will have 256 MByte Ram in your computer - which are 256.000 kByte - so in 1979 your Ram would have costed $4,096.000,--.

You could buy a lot of bootweak-pedals for this money.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

and...

The SAD1024 did cost around 30-40 dollars when it came on the marker around 1977-1978. That means theyre a lot cheaper now.

As for the 15 dollar smallbear question, the answer is yes. Steve Daniels sells em at a very reasonable price. If his sounds concering stock and supply are as true as I expect em to be you can rest assured that when smallbearstock is dry prices will go up a lot.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Stephengiles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stephengiles »

And at today's exchange rates, $15 is less than the cost of 2 gallons of petrol in the UK, so to us, for 1 SAD 1024 a $15 cost is neither here nor there.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Ok, that's number two. The only other thing I didn't find available almost everywhere cheaper is the OPA2134. Smallbear's the most expensive ressources around... really
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Stephengiles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stephengiles »

modman wrote:Ok, that's number two. The only other thing I didn't find available almost everywhere cheaper is the OPA2134. Smallbear's the most expensive ressources around... really
Is this a Texas Instruments chip? If so you can get free samples!

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

There's a way to get your SAD's cheaper. It's what I did prior to this thread:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=1039

Just place a wanted add on a local/countrywide classifieds page (No exp-erience but I'd imagine something like craigslist would work for our Amerivan members) offering a lower than smallbear but decent price (2 dollars is not decent).
Drawback is that the Smallbear ones are new and do work whereas the ones you get this way might have been used and damaged... that's a risc.

other than that, @ modman,

Pricewise you may be true. However, Smallbear does stock some stuff that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. Furthemore I always had good service. Cannot say the same thing about something more local than "banzai" who manages to ship 16 (!!) days after the confirmed the order was placed, as well as adding VAT on checkout (that's a lot more expensive suddenly!!). I am willing to pay more for speedy service and little bull.

paperhouse
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by paperhouse »

even aside from price, i'd prefer not to order from small bear. they've screwed up 4 out of the 5 total orders that i've placed with them. one time i waited for a month with no notice and my emails were ignored. everyone says they have great service but that has absolutely not been the case in my experience. i only order from small bear if i have to.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Furthemore I always had good service.
Never had a bum deal from Steve at Small Bear - He is constantly adding new stock to his store as demand requires too. Recently, i needed a Vactrol VTL5C10 for my limiter DIY project - Steve did not stock them, but within 24 hours he had given me a price and after I confirmed an order with him, three of them speedily arrived less than a week later - he now has this device in stock due to the demand created by the compulator / baja limiter project - he is one of the best American businessmen i have had the pleasure to deal with.
just my true experience for what it is worth :wink: :wink:
bajaman

alteredsounds
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alteredsounds »

+1 on Small Bear, only ordered once, was using Banzai but Small Bear were 3 weeks quicker than Banzai. Def Small Bear for harder to get parts for me.

Stephengiles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stephengiles »

I think the problem is (I don't have issues!!!) that life is too fast and the youngsters expect everything yesterday. A spell in Argentina would knock that out of their brains, talking of which - are there any Argentines posting here?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Stephen,

I though free sample days were over? Do they really do that for $3 opamps? I ordered some now, but don't hear the Burr Brown performing any better (in a distortion circuit) than a 4558.
Stephengiles wrote:- are there any Argentines posting here?
Oh yeah: all the way from Patagonia:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 2214#22214
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Stephengiles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stephengiles »

Oh yes, I forgot about swt.

ubersam
Information

Post by ubersam »

Stephengiles wrote:Is this a Texas Instruments chip? If so you can get free samples!
Free samples? How?

suregork
Information

Post by suregork »

does anyone know where these can be found? Small Bear doesn't seem to have them anymore, and I can't seem to find a SAD1024 anywhere online :(

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Yep but bear in mind the small smallbear prices will be over. I guess the ADA flanfer project on DIYstompboxes.com must have helped draining Steve's last stock. Respect for Steve for not going for the big bucks. He could have. Easily.

1) http://www.newtone-online.nl/catalog/pr ... cts_id=788 (lemme know if you need help with the language)
2) http://darisusgmbh.de/shop/product_info ... anguage=en

And do yourself a favour and stay away from Chinese sellers. There's little reason to expect that there's a sudden fresh stash over there in warehouses since there was little electronics production in China at the time the big FX boys used SAD's.

There will be a lot of counterfeits coming from that area within a short while.

suregork
Information

Post by suregork »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:Yep but bear in mind the small smallbear prices will be over. I guess the ADA flanfer project on DIYstompboxes.com must have helped draining Steve's last stock. Respect for Steve for not going for the big bucks. He could have. Easily.

1) http://www.newtone-online.nl/catalog/pr ... cts_id=788 (lemme know if you need help with the language)
2) http://darisusgmbh.de/shop/product_info ... anguage=en

And do yourself a favour and stay away from Chinese sellers. There's little reason to expect that there's a sudden fresh stash over there in warehouses since there was little electronics production in China at the time the big FX boys used SAD's.

There will be a lot of counterfeits coming from that area within a short while.
Thanks, I made an order from Newtone (who were very friendly, and offered great service)!

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Good to hear!
Whereas with some shopping around one may find components a few cents cheaper elsewhere the Newtone guys never let me down when it comes to service, speedy delivery, and, :oops: altering incomplete orders I just submitted.