Poodle's Pedal Parts

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Poodle's Pedal Parts (Newcastle)

Anyone know who this guy is, I think he is a member on the forums here and he is from my neck of the woods so I wondered who he might be, maybe a good source for parts locally.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

rackham
Information

Post by rackham »

Dunno *who* he is but the cheapo 3pdt switches that he sells have crappy threads and nuts on them.

biliousfrog
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Zen Drive, Fuzz Factory, Really Cheap Compressor, D*A*M 66, Klon Buffer, CryBaby mods, Boss TR2 mods, Various loops and switchers, DOD250, Fulltone Bass Drive, MXR Bluebox mods

Post by biliousfrog »

His name is Lee, I haven't seen him on the forums but he is very active on Facebook. I've bought some of his kits, they're very good value IMO but I've had problems getting some of them to work straight away. He has been incredibly helpful at times but when my phase 45 wouldn't work it basically came down to people on this forum and ordering a bunch of extra FETs to realise that his "matched FETs" were duds...his response was pretty much, "well, at least it works now". That was the last time I ordered anything but I've got my eye on some more of his kits which are being released soon - particularly the EP booster which he's making at my request.

So, in all, he's a nice guy, his kits are generally well put together and he's usually quite helpful. The instructions can be a little confusing, some components can be of questionable quality (although the switches are as good as any I've seen in boutique pedals) and you might need to do some trouble-shooting.

Facebook is definitely the place to catch up with him though: https://www.facebook.com/PedalParts

pedalpartsuk
Information

Post by pedalpartsuk »

hi. I am indeed Lee, and I'm based in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I resent the remark about the 3PDT quality. they're the same ones as everyone else sells, and in the couple of years I've been selling them i've had maybe 3 or 4 duds, which were immediately replaced when i was told about them. that's out of thousands.

re Phase45 - hmm. not sure what went on there bud. ALL the FET pairs are tested in my P45 to make sure they work before they're sent out, as are any other 'sensitive' components. i.e., the upcoming Vox Repeat Persussion - the UJT will be tested in a circuit before added. Deep Blue Delay - PT2399 is tested. ALL the kits work if built correctly.

I do get a lot of emails asking for help, and it takes time to reply to each one. I get round to it as quick as I can. Some of them are simple (yes, you need to connect ALL the grounds together), some are more difficult (my Super Fuzz isn't working - why?). I try my best. It does state on the site that these kits aren't paint-by-numbers, and that some knowledge is required to build them. Hence the fairly sparse build docs. If someone listed the resistor codes for each part I'd still be knocking other people's stripboard layouts together blindly (nowt wrong with that, but I wanted MORE!).

Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry if the P45 was a chore, but if I'd got my hands on it I probably could have ascertained the problem.

Basically, I do nice kits on well thought out PCBs with good quality components. I won't sell anything I wouldn't use myself. I have a healthy rapport with my customer base, and I try my utmost to get everyone's kit working, even if the customer has screwed it. I've had people send kits back to me to look at, realised they didn't have a clue what they were doing, and built a new one from scratch for them at my own cost.

Reasonable prices, decent aftersales, and approachable with ideas and suggestions for new kits via Facebook. (I should get a test EP Booster done by Wednesday, by the way, so should be in store this week)

Cheers for reading my rambling.

pedalpartsuk
Information

Post by pedalpartsuk »

forgot to mention. anyone who's tired of 'crappy threads and nuts' is welcome to pay a bit extra for the Cliff switches I'll be stocking soon. Though I'll still be using the cheaper switches in my builds, what with them being perfectly good.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I'm confused. if the cheaper ones are perfectly good, what value does the extra price of the cliff ones offer?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

pedalpartsuk
Information

Post by pedalpartsuk »

they don't offer any extra value whatsoever. some people like names. i certainly won't be carrying much stock as i can't see a lot of uptake, but the option is there.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

fair nuff :-)

ashleyslidewhip
Information

Post by ashleyslidewhip »

I have built a few of Poodles kits - the Sola Sound Power Boost and the Super Fuzz. The power boost kicked in straight away (a first for me) and the Super Fuzz was fine after cleaning the tranny legs in the sockets (my idea, not his, to socket them).

My view - the range of products, and value of the kits, is the BEST in the business (certainly in the UK). The boards are small, and double sided, which causes me a bit of an issue with my stubby fingers and poor eyesight, but keeping them small, keeps the boxes small, and the price down. I have just bought a bunch of his 3PDT switch boards as I hate switch wiring, so I'll still buy from him even if I use tag board

I have no experience of things not working or things not being delivered as stated. I find the build instructions absolutely fine ... if you've built at least one before. Postage costs are low and delivery very fast. He often asks on FB what boards customers want next, so if it's not in the range now it might be soon

Noise-O-Matic
Information

Post by Noise-O-Matic »

Hey!
First post here, I'm fairly new to electronics but I've lurked around here (and many other forums) for a while.

I Just thought someone might want my 2 cents... I've used a fair few of Poodle Pedal Parts kits (Two Fat Furry Freaks, A green russian Muff, One knob fuzz, Trem and I've got a Guzz Fun kit on it's way.) And I recon they're some of the best. It's the first place I check if I want to build something...

I've used others in the past too, but being hesitant to wait forever and then get stung with import fees (as I have been from US sellers) I've mostly stuck within the EU, and I've yet to have a kit delivered as fast, or have the same level of support I've got from PPP. In fact the kit that will probably arrive today is one that Lee put together after I inquired about getting a Fuzz Gun with footswitch toggle for the oscillations and an enclosure to fit.

I've had no problems with the footswitches, and I can't really imagine having them either, all parts seem grand to me. I do regularly get driven into fits of violent rage when trying to get the little LED gromit into place... Fat callousy fingers hate the small fiddly black plastic of doom, and my carpet seems to devour them! Buuut I get it sorted in the end and a less ape-fisted tinkerer wouldn't stress I don't think. Das Musikding avoid this problem in their kits with a rather large screw in LED bezzel but it takes up way to much space in a box for any of Pedal Parts tidy builds and I guess it's not necessary TBH.
In fact, comparing to Musikding kits (which are fine... or at least my p-90 is.) Pedal Parts PCBs really stand out. I've never had to mess with adding in jumpers or wiring in pots to pads on opposite sides of the board, LED wiring is easy and I've never burnt a PCB pad out, despite building a Mamoth drunk once (wired the pots backward but otherwise ok!) I don't suppose these things will make much difference to seasoned builders but to people like me who are just tinkering around while looking for awesome clones this stuff makes life sweeter! The trend towards these top notch PCBs incorporating board mounted pots is a good one too..

Sorry to ramble, hopefully that helps make a decision easier... I've often wondered why I don't see more of a mention of this company about, I'd defiantly recommend them. :D

grievobelievo
Information

Post by grievobelievo »

I've built a bunch of Poodle's stuff, and I'm an idiot. It all seems foolproof, components are all solid so far, and the one thing which I've had not work is almost certainly my fault (one of my first builds). Excellent way of building up a massive library of fuzz and distortion tones for recording and live work on the cheap. I'm actually learning a bit too.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

I guess the group email to customers asking them to sing out in defence is working well.. :roll:

ashleyslidewhip
Information

I too have built from Das Musikding boards (not full kits) and I have no problem with them, but the postage from Germany is higher, the boards not quite as robust and the boards a bit more expensive. If I was ordering a whole bunch of components from them, then I might buy a board, but if I'm after a full kit (and who else in Europe does a full kit of the glorious Sola Sound Power Boost) then I'd stick with Poodle. His move to board mounted pots looks good to me, although I've not built one yet. Anything that cuts out wiring I'm in favour of. The Musikding product range is a bit limited, although all the usual favourites, certainly not things like the Vox Repeat Percussion

rackham
Information

Post by rackham »

Seeing as I grumbled about the switches originally, maybe I should qualify my comments?

I normally use Cliff switches as I sell the majority of the stuff that I build and, as noted above, "some people like names".

I ordered a small amount of the 3PDTs from Pedalpartsuk as I was curious to see if there was any difference between them and the more expensive jobs out there. The casting/machining on the nuts and threads on the switch itself aren't great and the plating is cheaper than on the Cliff switches. The switching action is a little softer than the Cliff switches too. There is more red epoxy on the Pedalpartsuk solder lugs than Cliff use (if that makes any difference).

From a functionality point of view, I used all of the switches that I bought on prototype stuff and they are holding up fine.

If Pedalpartsuk start selling Cliff switches then I'd buy from him as Cliff are a bit of a pain to deal with direct.

ashleyslidewhip
Information

useful comparison - thanks

pedalpartsuk
Information

Post by pedalpartsuk »

rocklander wrote:I guess the group email to customers asking them to sing out in defence is working well.. :roll:
i just mentioned on FB that someone was asking about my stuff, and asked if anyone wanted to chip in, both good AND bad - i'm happy to take criticism.

pedalpartsuk
Information

Post by pedalpartsuk »

rackham wrote:Seeing as I grumbled about the switches originally, maybe I should qualify my comments?

I normally use Cliff switches as I sell the majority of the stuff that I build and, as noted above, "some people like names".
If Pedalpartsuk start selling Cliff switches then I'd buy from him as Cliff are a bit of a pain to deal with direct.
thanks for explaining that. to some degree it comes down to 'you get what you pay for', though i'd argue that it certainly isn't proportionate to the price premium. If i'm to sell the Cliff switches they'll have to be double the price of the ones i'm currently selling. i wouldn't say they're twice as good, though i'll admit the quality is a bit better.

Effectsiation
Information

Post by Effectsiation »

I'll chime in with my criticisms and praise:

I think the variety of circuits offered is great, the speed at which he'll whip up a new one and have it for sale is impressive and he's very responsive on FB (oh and the prices are good too!). My criticisms are: The boards are very thin (sometimes they bend in my panavise, but don't break) and you have to use a low temperature (575 degree) on these boards, which isn't really a problem, but I had trouble with traces lifting with my usual 650 degree temp.

pedalpartsuk
Information

Post by pedalpartsuk »

cheers for the input. some of the boards are thin-ish (1mm), as i get them produced panelised. i have a guillotine, but anything over 1mm tends to drag when cut, and it all gets a bit squiffy and random. i ended up binning more boards than i used when i went over 1mm. any that are individually produced are now weighing in at 1.6mm.

Temperature-wise - i use a SP200 which sits at 625 degrees and haven't had any trouble, though that's as high as i go.

jonathanfox5
Information

Post by jonathanfox5 »

I know that this is my first post and will (rightfully) be treated with suspicion but I thought that I would weigh in anyway...

My order came much quicker than expected (ordered in the dying hours of 6th May and arrived on the 8th May) and the kit was well put together. The only problem was that one of the capacitors was the wrong value - I emailed him about this and a rather noobish question about jacks. He responded within 2 hours with a helpful response which I appreciated.

I would probably buy from him again - it's an easy mistake to make given that there are ~50 components in the kit and it is no real hassle to pop out to Maplin to get an extra capacitor. The fact that the delivery and customer service were really good would make me confident enough to make a purchase.

I hope that this helps someone out there.

Jonathan