Cheap Painted Enclosures

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Hey guys,

I've been looking for cheap painted 1590B\1590BB enclosures from china, since the stuff from there is always the cheapest, preferably with an option to get them drilled as well.

I have found these results on Alibaba.com: http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb ... 0b+painted

But a lot of these suppliers won't ship less than 100 pieces with paint, and the other ones don't answer messages.

Anyone got a good cheap source for painted enclosures?

Thanks

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

What's your $/unit target? Getting something pre-painted and drilled just isn't going to be THAT cheap because you're adding labour with both of those steps. The price you'd pay on eBay is going to be pretty much as low as you can get it without buying in bulk.

You can either paint it or drill it or do both yourself if you're serious about saving money. It's not that hard to get a good finish with spray paint if you don't half ass it, and drilling is easy with a press and a stepping bit ($120 total investment, if you buy new). Plus then you can pick any colour you like, experiment, put in as many holes as you want wherever you want, etc.

Edit: also you need to wait at least a full day for a response from Asian sellers due to the time zone difference. And don't order from Mammoth Electronics. Terrible customer service on top of fucking up orders constantly.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Unless your buying large number of enclosures and the holes are all from the same template there not really going to be cheap. If your in the UK I can do powder coating and accurate drilling for small numbers of enclosures but to send to other countries postage could become expensive. Let me know your requirements and I will see if can help.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Thanks for the info guys.

So after asking every chinese company I could find, only one of them sales painted enclosures in quantities of under 100 pieces.

They are Daier Electron, they only have them in black and white, drilling is only for 100 pieces or more. http://daier.en.alibaba.com/productgrou ... osure.html

The price for a painted 1590B is $2.6, which is even cheaper than the raw ones I got from Tayda :)

I ordered 14 enclosures, i'll let you know of the finish quality when i'll get them. Shipping was $51 via Fedex.

If anyone is interested in ordering contact Iris Chen: daierlee@chinadaier.com

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

51/14 is 3.64, so you paid $6.24 per unit.

You can get a unit unpainted and order in multiples of 1 with shipping in for $6.02 CAD, which is $5.52 USD.

At 14 units that's a cost difference of $10.12 in total for the painting.

If the paint job is good, paying $0.72 per box for the painting isn't a bad deal. If the paint job isn't great, you could have bought 2 cans of automotive grade spray paint for that difference in cost, which should be enough to do 14 1590Bs if you do them as a batch and are decent at spray painting. But this also takes time and maybe your spare time is more valuable than mine. I found learning how to handle a can of spray paint to be a rewarding experience though, so I don't mind the time investment.

It sort of depends on what you get. You could also get a bare box at a lower price by ordering in multiples, too.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

I got the enclosures today, a bit disappointed.

They are full of blemishes, little scratches and chips.

The finish on the black ones is matte\satin which and seems pretty thin. The white ones has a nicer glossier finish but all of the scratches are more visible.

I'm gonna contact the company and see what they have to say about it.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

They have also packed it very poorly, with no bubble wrap or any padding, which could also have caused scratches.

Sanches
Information

Post by Sanches »

Hey, did they ever answer you?

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

They kept avoiding me, replying once a week, and offered to make it right on my next order, telling me that they barely make any money off the enclosures (So that means it's ok to get enclosures with bumps and scratches all over them?)...
I said i'm not gonna place another order, eventually they stopped answering my emails and I opened a Papal dispute.
After a few days they gave me a partial refund.

Sanches
Information

Post by Sanches »

That's the typical Alibaba seller attitude. At least they gave you a partial refund.
I've been thinking about buying some enclosures from http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1045809 but I'll probably have the same problem.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Where do you live Sanches?

The prices for the boxes in the link you posted are around the same as those of mammoth\pedal parts plus. If you live in the USA it would be a better idea to order from mammoth\pedal parts plus.

If you live outside the US shipping would be pretty expensive from mammoth\pedal parts plus, and the chinese store offers free shipping, so it might be worth it if you take into account the finish might not be perfect.

Just make sure to tell them to ship it properly padded! (but they might say they will and then they won't ;)

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

OK so they do have this deal: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 98899.html

$4 a piece painted and drilled with free shipping? Although there is a minimum order of 30pcs. It's weird because their other 1590Bs are $10 so it's either a mistake or a great deal if you take 30 pieces.

Sanches
Information

Post by Sanches »

I live in Brazil, the free shipping is what made me want to try these chinese sellers.

I talked to the seller on chat last week and he told me to send him my drilling and painting layouts so he could give me a quote. I think I'll buy them drilled only and try to paint and make some waterslide decals at home. I don't want to wait weeks and have scratched boxes in the end.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

How many enclosures do you need? Maybe ask him for a sample before.

And if you paint them yourself it doesn't matter that much if they get scratched before because the finish will cover that.

cruisemates
Information

Post by cruisemates »

http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#! ... ort=normal

Check out the prices here - yes they probably get them from China, but you don;t have to buy 100 at a time. You can only get unpainted, black or white, but the prices are about what you paid after shipping.