Looking for unusual 3PDT from Danelectro Cool Cat

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
Matlevo12
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Matlevo12 »

Hi !

I just fixed a Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive V2 (opamp was dead) and when I put it back together I broke the 3pdt switch.
I've been searching for a similar one online but I can't manage to find it. Here are some pictures :
ImageImageImage

It's about the same width and length as you usual 3PDT, same solder pins spacing, but way lower (about 31mm).
I tried emailing danelectro but they won't give me any info, and I did try some other small sitched a try (like this one https://www.musikding.de/3PDT-footswitch-compact) but they don't match. The botom part is small enough to fit in the box and let the box close (even if the pins don't match the current 3pdt pcb but that's not a issue), but they're too high for the "outer shell" of the switch (see below).

The main problem is the threaded part, which is shorter than usual, than comes the switch shape (but I might be able to deal with that) and then the lower part needs to be small as well otherwise the enclosure won't close.

Does anybody know where I could find a switch like this ?
I'd really love to avoid rehousing this pedal :)
Thanks a lot for reading !

JDG
Information

Post by JDG »

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

I haven't ever seen them used anywhere outside of the Cool Cat series so I am pretty confident they would have had them custom made. The only other shot you've got is if you can see a part number in the plastic mold for the switch - sometimes just googling whatever numbers you can find will turn up some obscure Chinese datasheet that it would have been impossible to find otherwise.

Best bet is to rehouse the pedal in a different enclosure, unfortunately :(

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

You could try this:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ap ... TQpmAtk%3D
It's a very small 4PDT that should fit there. This is like what's used in the "True Bypass" version of Maxon pedals. I bet you can get it to fit in there and possibly work with the original actuator? I can't say for sure, I've used this 4PDT before in other pedals and it works well, but I don't have any Cool Cat pedals to compare or try with myself.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Matlevo12
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Matlevo12 »

No, sorry, too high, but thanks !
aionios wrote:I haven't ever seen them used anywhere outside of the Cool Cat series so I am pretty confident they would have had them custom made. The only other shot you've got is if you can see a part number in the plastic mold for the switch - sometimes just googling whatever numbers you can find will turn up some obscure Chinese datasheet that it would have been impossible to find otherwise.

Best bet is to rehouse the pedal in a different enclosure, unfortunately :(
Thanks, but unfortunately there's nothing on there.
soulsonic wrote:You could try this:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ap ... TQpmAtk%3D
It's a very small 4PDT that should fit there. This is like what's used in the "True Bypass" version of Maxon pedals. I bet you can get it to fit in there and possibly work with the original actuator? I can't say for sure, I've used this 4PDT before in other pedals and it works well, but I don't have any Cool Cat pedals to compare or try with myself.
Now that's a good lead, thanks ! I'll investigate a bit further when I have some time, that looks good though !

Matlevo12
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Matlevo12 »

Just in case someone has the same problem one day : I tried several solutions, including the small 4PDT but none of them allowed me to keep the enclosure and use the original footswitch cover...
In the end I used a mini 3pdt and choose not to use the footswitch cover... it's less cool but I'm still the original enclosure.
I had to butcher the original 3pdt pcb to use the new switch, the pin spacing isn't the same, but it worked out ok.

Damn Danelectro though. Someone from amprepairparts / studio sound electronics told me that they're known for this kind of bs : using parts they have made just for them and that are not available to the public for repair. Reminds me of some computer company...

Thanks to everyone who helped or tried to !

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

Damnelectro!