LF: Discontinued Panasonic SU and ECQ capacitors for Klon project

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
AaronW
Information

Post by AaronW »

I'm looking for the following Panasonic capacitors, trying to build as accurate of a Klon as possible. If anyone knows who may still have any stock, or if you've got stock of the capacitors below please let me know. Thank you!

100n ECQ Series Film Type
4u7 Panasonic SU Series Electro. 50v.
100n ECQ Series Film Type
68n ECQ Series Film Type
68n ECQ Series Film Type
390n ECQ Series Film Type
82n ECQ Series Film Type
390p ECQ Series Film Type
1u Panasonic SU Series Electro. 50v.
2n2 ECQ Series Film Type
27n Panasonic SU Series Electro. 50v.
820p ECQ Series Film Type
3n9 ECQ Series Film Type
4u7 Panasonic SU Series Electro. 50v.
47u Panasonic SU Series Electro. 16v.
47u Panasonic SU Series Electro. 16v.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I can tell you from personal experience that the only components that make a difference in the sound are the magic diodes, and to a lesser degree the opamps. So, if it's the sound you're after, there's no point in using exactly the same capacitors.

Your best bet on finding any of those is ebay. I got them all from DigiKey originally, but they were out of stock shortly after they were discontinued. No pedal DIY stores have them. All the people building klones bought them up probably 10 years ago.

I recommend focusing on finding the right diodes. And that I mean, collecting several that fall within the parameters I measured from the original and then auditioning them all to find the pair that sounds "right" to your ears.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

mozz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mozz »

Any pictures? Caps certainly do change the sound.

AaronW
Information

Post by AaronW »

soulsonic wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 02:26 I can tell you from personal experience that the only components that make a difference in the sound are the magic diodes, and to a lesser degree the opamps. So, if it's the sound you're after, there's no point in using exactly the same capacitors.

Your best bet on finding any of those is ebay. I got them all from DigiKey originally, but they were out of stock shortly after they were discontinued. No pedal DIY stores have them. All the people building klones bought them up probably 10 years ago.

I recommend focusing on finding the right diodes. And that I mean, collecting several that fall within the parameters I measured from the original and then auditioning them all to find the pair that sounds "right" to your ears.
Thanks! I’ve got some NOS IC’s and some Russian diodes that are right on spec.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

mozz wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 11:40 Caps certainly do change the sound.
There's already a thread of people arguing about this in the amps section. The point I mean to make is that as long as you use the same type of capacitor, ie; use a film cap where it says film cap, use a tantalum where it says tantalum, etc... the specific brand makes little to no difference, and the tolerances of the values would make way more difference in the response of one individual component over another.

My personal rule when building something where I think the individual components could play a critical role in the sound is to build the thing on breadboard first to test it out and potentially audition different components by ear. If you're going to be that nitpicky about components, auditioning by ear is the only way to be satisfied with the result, because you chose exactly those parts that sounded "right" to you.

I really feel myself straddling both worlds on this topic. I roll my eyes when people swear that you have to use some exact component, especially some specific passive component like a capacitor, for a thing to sound "right." But at the same time, I have often indulged in picking out special mojo components by ear and have had a very satisfying time building things that way. I think that for those of us who build pedals as a hobby, being impractical like that is part of the fun, and is a part of pretty much every hobby activity out there. And if someone were a small-time "boutique" builder, making pedals and selling them in low quantities, I think being extra picky about what parts are used can be a part of what gives a boutique build its added value over something that's mass produced. But if you're making 1000 of something...jeez, who cares, use whatever works, they'll sound pretty much the same! :lol:

So, getting back to AaronW's original post. Yes, I think it's a bit silly to try and hunt down all the original capacitors to build a Klon exactly like the original, because I'm convinced it won't make any appreciable difference if your goal is to make a pedal that has the Klon sound. But that being said, please don't let me completely dissuade you from the hunt, because it could very well be an interesting and educational experience. If you're building it just for the fun of the challenge, then by all means go on the hunt. I still say ebay is your best bet. That's the only place I've seen any for sale.

I could send you one 390n Panasonic cap. That's the only ones I have left!
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

mozz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mozz »

I don't think tolerance difference is what you are hearing. There is a measurement called dissipation factor, also Q of a capacitor. These both effect the usage in certain situations. Some wahs use a polystyrene cap in the output. These have some of the lowest dissipation I have ever measured and nothing else comes close except maybe silver mica, but both in .01uf are really not common or easy to get. Some disc caps measure terrible in dissipation yet are part of the reason supros valcos and premiers don't sound like fenders.