Any common consensus on parts manufacturers?

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

I've built a few pedals in my day but I'm still a total noob. I've mostly bought parts from Small Bear - the interface is easy to navigate, I get confused sometimes on Mouser. :slap: I know mouser has a crap load of different manufacturers for said parts: resistors, caps, etc. For you more experienced builders on here, what are some of your favorite part manufacturers for resistors, caps, etc? For example, I'm borrowing a friends Timmy, it has those yellow box caps. They're in the pedal for a reason right? Not cause they're super cheap to buy...Who makes them? What modern, non NOS stuff has "the mojo" in it, or more quality over other stuff available.

Sorry if this is uber noob stuff. Thanks

Grendahl
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Grendahl »

I just tend to stay away from Mouser because their website is so buggy. Try searching for the same thing several times in a row... sometimes it comes up, other times it errors out. If they can't get a simple search function right, I don't trust their shopping cart. [smilie=thumbdown2.gif]
Resistance is futile...
( if < 1 ohm )

defaced
Information

Post by defaced »

I would check stuff on your end with the Mouser search issue. I use Mouser extensively and have never had any significant problems with the site, and they've never missed a part or quantity. Their shopping cart is actually pretty sweet. I wish more places had some of those features.

If this were a tube amp forum I could give you something a little more specific (Vishay CCF60 resistors and Sprague 225P or 715P caps), but I'm not deep into pedal building like I am amp building so I'll give you soemthing a little more general...

I think you'd be surprised about part selection. Alot of part selection is price motivated, especially when tiny nuances don't make a sonic difference that justifies the price. Many people use Chinese metal film resistors from eBay and the like. They measure the proper value and aside from having slightly thinner leads than some people are used to, they work fine. As for caps, some people use the cheap green film caps, others use Wimas. It's personal preference. For your first couple of builds, maybe buy from a pedal parts place like Caps n Such or Smallbear Electronics. From there as you learn more, see more guts shots and learn who makes what parts, start getting quantities of parts from Mouser or one of the other several big parts houses. Sometime it's more work to find the part but the price break is often worth it if you need alot of a given part.

JOHNO
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JOHNO »

The "little yellow box" caps are probably Vishay. Some say they do have "mojo" but i'm not one of those. I use the "little grey box" ones I get from Jaycar they are cheap and in abundance. I dont know who makes them. I just throw the cheapest crap into my pedals. If a resistor has the right amount of resistance I'll use it. :thumbsup

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Mouser is a very powerful site after you get used to it. The filters and search function work very well, in my opinion, and saving projects to your account is a great feature. As you find you don't have parts for a project, you just add them to it, save, and keep doing so until you have enough on there to justify making an order. At least for the small-scale hobby stuff I do, that's why I like it. It's overwhelming at first, but well worth getting used to it. Smallbear is solid and last time my order shipped within a day or two, down from the usual week or so. I only wish they'd add a way to change the number of results per page, an easy feature for even a small website.

Grendahl
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Grendahl »

Well, with glowing feedback on Mouser like that, I'll have to reconsider using them.

I don't however, think that it's a browser or local issue. It happens to me across multiple platforms, and across multiple browsers. That said, the project feature sounds great! :applause:
Resistance is futile...
( if < 1 ohm )