Ibanez - UE400 and UE405  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

Sorry, I haven't been back to this thread in a long time, @zsetlan. You could try and solder directly to the pins then shrink wrap them to keep them from shorting out...

drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

I actually modded one of mine using a ribbon cable soldered to the inside of the connector and brought out to a 5 position dip switch.

OldJames1979
Information

Post by OldJames1979 »

Dr. Bob-
I recently acquired 2 ue-400s, neither of which has a switch. These have really taken off in value - going for $500 ish on reverb and eBay- I digress

My switch for my ue 405 works with them but I’d rather have dedicated footswitches for each.

My question is could you build me 2 of your switches?! And what would you charge? I’d pay shipping on top of our negotiated price.

I’m reasonably handy with a soldering iron but don’t have the time nor more importantly the space to attempt such a build....

Thanks!

mfrue
Information

Post by mfrue »

Hello!
A few weeks ago I got back my original UE400 by chance, which I had in my first band in the early 80ies. As expected, it didn´t work, but it seemed that the footswitch was the problem. In search for a new one I found this (super!!) thread (thanks a lot!!) and was encouraged to repair it. With jumpers I found out that the effects unit and the small circuit boards inside the foot controller were working well. So I decided not to make a new footswitch but to replace just the push buttons.
The ones I found fitted nearly perfect. I only had to file the original holes to a round shape and used the screw nuts of the old buttons as washers (filed/grinded away the thread), because the body of the new ones extended too far into the box and touched the circuit boards.
One wire of the push button I soldered to the “SW“ hole (where the original red wire was soldered), the other one to „GND“.
I don´t know if this would be road-proof, but for my home use it works perfect.
The new buttons are mady by Tru Components (Great Britain?) distributed by Conrad electronics here in Austria. They switch 48V/2A which is far enough and are sold as „vandal proof“. So I expect them to last a very long time.

mfrue

attached some pictures:
Attachments
the new push button by Tru Components
the new push button by Tru Components
the device that holds the circuit boards: enlarged holes
the device that holds the circuit boards: enlarged holes
left-hand: enlarged to fit the new button, right-hand: original hole
left-hand: enlarged to fit the new button, right-hand: original hole
my 3rd hand
my 3rd hand
the placement of the buttons and the wires
the placement of the buttons and the wires
after reassembling
after reassembling
It still needs some cleaning work....
It still needs some cleaning work....

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

I got a UE400 in for some issues; those issues were dirty position switches that after a cleaning were functioning properly

This unit got the distortion section. I couldn't find any schematics anywhere, so I traced it.

As you can spot the TA7136 chip is prominent in this unit.

EnjoY!
Distortion.JPG
I'll add some pics on my instagram later!
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

I have one here found for 5 euros at a charity shop without the FS. I thought about making a new pcb to retrofit instead of the original connector one, using a 9 pin parallel socket (old mouse type). That would allow the original one to be put back in if required, and would allow a DIYed fooswitch to be made as seen above.
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Or this (which can be a good start), don't remember where I got this... Would require some pins to be made, but still...
tecnec_8_pin_female_connector_for_macros.zip
(73.78 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

here's the real McCoy... With original box!
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

lolbou wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 18:21 here's the real McCoy... With original box!
A sony tape deck? wa?

sanktlafaeru
Information

Post by sanktlafaeru »

Thanks all for this thread—it's a trove of info on this old FX box!

I recently acquired a UE-405 without the footswitch.
Using the info here, I was able to short the pins in the footswitch connector and test the unit.
I have a few questions I hope to get some help with:

1) The delay does not receive the input signal (all other FX do).
I know the effect works because it self-oscillates when I turn the feedback all the way up.
I've tried reading the schematic and troubleshooting via continuity testing, but could not come to any conclusions, and could use some help.
Where should I start with diagnosing this problem?

2) I want to build a foot switch, but I can't seem to find the 8-pin EIAJ / Honda cable for sale anywhere.
Because of that, I'm considering replacing the connector on the unit with a DB9 (serial) connector.
Has anybody done this? Any reason not to?

3) I would like to add an on/off switch for the send/receive loop (i.e., toggle to bypass the loop.)
How can I go about doing that?
The footswitch connector has an unused pin that could support the extra switch, but I could use some help with modifying the circuit.

Thanks for reading, and for any help you can provide!

CQJR1962
Information

Post by CQJR1962 »

Hi, i know this thread is old, but so am i LOL !!
I'm looking for one of those switches for the UE-400 footswitch. Anyone know where i could get one ??

Someone before me put a latching swith on the first one (compressor)

Thanks.