Montarbo - Sinfhoton ( Fuzz )

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
ik6gpy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ik6gpy »

Hi!
I'm a new member from Italy. This is my first post and i would like to thank all the members of this wonderful forum for such a great work on this site. :D
By the way...
Anyone have ever heard of the Montarbo Sinphoton Fuzz? It seems to be a very nice sustainy cremy distortion from the 60's as an old friend described me. Anyone has got this schematic? I would very much appreciate it. :) :) :)
Ciao!

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Below you can see a picture of the Montarbo (correctly written:) "Sinfhoton", which was also sold as the Sisme Sismetone.

Sadly I have never seen any guts or a schematic....
If you would have access to guts.... :roll: :lol:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

MauroR
Information

Post by MauroR »

I have this schematic!

Because it isn't traced by me.... I'm not sure that is correct!!

Ciao (I'm italian like you).

Mauro
Attachments
Synfhoton - Montarbo.jpg

ik6gpy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ik6gpy »

Beautiful, so it's a fixed distortion device, nice little circuit. Stages are very similiar to a big muff. Interesting. I would change that fixed 22k resistor between the two stages and would try a 50k pot to choose distortion amount. :wink: Many Thanks! Grazie Mauro! Saluti dallo stivale.
:thumbsup

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

here is the early version of the Sinfhoton-
Montarbo - Sinfhoton - Early Version
Montarbo - Sinfhoton - Early Version
SINPHOTON_schem.jpg (64.43 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
i caught this vid on the tube last night. it sounds killer!

I gotta build me one of these.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

dudes! i made this guy up today at work while the bad rappers bored the shit out of me. it looks ok. i might've been able to save a row or two, but whatever. as long as it fits. if it's too wide for your box(hehe), you can put the jumper from the ground filtering. on the back of the board and get it down to 23 rows wide.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

Looks good to me, traced it out and it matches the schematic. Only thing is the label on the bottom vero ver ot othe right marked 'vol 3' should probably be 'vol 1'. :thumbsup

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

mysticwhiskey wrote:Looks good to me, traced it out and it matches the schematic. Only thing is the label on the the bottom vero ver ot othe right marked 'vol 3' should probably be 'vol 1'. :thumbsup
It's Friday afternoon here, so please forgive me good spelling not :lol:

That should instead read: the bottom vero row to the right

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

I think I have an early version, it has an input cable instead of a jack socket.
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

sounds very cool...

does anyone know what the diodes (D1-D4) are?

thanx

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

LucifersTrip wrote:sounds very cool...

thanx
The one I've got has 1N914 diodes, but any small silicon type will do.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

mysticwhiskey wrote:
mysticwhiskey wrote:Looks good to me, traced it out and it matches the schematic. Only thing is the label on the the bottom vero ver ot othe right marked 'vol 3' should probably be 'vol 1'. :thumbsup

thanks for the catch! I kind of threw it up on the net right before I left work. I'll try and get it fixed when I get back over there. I drew up an early version as well. I'll post that one later, too.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

mictester wrote:
LucifersTrip wrote:sounds very cool...

thanx
The one I've got has 1N914 diodes, but any small silicon type will do.
thanx much for the info...I'll start with those and go from there.

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

I breadboarded this and everything worked right off....though, so far it is very average.

It definitely has that fat muffy sound, but nothing great yet.

I used 2n3904's with hfe's around 200-225.

The voltage readings are:
Q1 > ebc > 0, .18, 3.65
Q2 > ebc > 0, .60, 6.12

Does anyone have any idea what these should be?....and for the pot that's sandwiched between the two 10k's,
so you get more treble or bass as you turn it clockwise? I'd just like to confirm I have it oriented correctly.

I tried altering the two 10k collector R's and the 47k in the center, but so far no great change.

I'll continue tweaking, but it'd be cool to get ballpark voltages first.

thanx

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

here's the corrected version.
Attachments
Montarbo Sinfoton - Late Model
Montarbo Sinfoton - Late Model
SINFHOTON LATE MODEL.gif (19.87 KiB) Viewed 5055 times

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

RnFR wrote:here's the corrected version.
corrected from what? isn't it just a later version of the one I breadboarded? ...or is there a mistake in the one I breadboarded?

Do you possibly have a schematic or voltages?

thanx again

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

RnFR wrote:
mysticwhiskey wrote:

thanks for the catch! I kind of threw it up on the net right before I left work. I'll try and get it fixed when I get back over there. I drew up an early version as well. I'll post that one later, too.
i would just try adjusting your collector resistors to get the voltage at the collector to around 4.5v. you could try higher gain transistors as well- some say that helps.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

RnFR wrote:
i would just try adjusting your collector resistors to get the voltage at the collector to around 4.5v. you could try higher gain transistors as well- some say that helps.
noone answered my request for voltages above....is the voltage supposed to be approx 4.5v on the various versions of the Sinfhoton discussed in this thread?

Nico3p
Information

Post by Nico3p »

Ciao,
per avere un buon sustain i transiStor migliori sono i BC149.
I BC109 hanno un guadagno altissimo (hfe=600-700), per cui anche con questi si ha un grande suono.
Il Sinfhoton ha un circuito fatto in modo che ogni transistor al silicio funziona bene. Anche i BC108 (hfe=200 circa) hanno una buona resa.
Come diodi si possono usare gli 1N4148 (a commutazione veloce).
Se si aggiunge un diodo si può ottenere il clipping asimmetrico, con un selettore a levetta, col risultato di un volume più alto e una distorsione più verso l'overdrive che il fuzz.
Confrontato col Big Muff, il Sinfhoton ha più presenza e personalità.
Io ho aggiunto la regolazione della distorsione e funziona alla grande.
Ho anche messo un commutatore per silicio/germanio e va benissimo (anche se i transistor al germanio sono "ballerini" e in certe situazioni di umidità e caldo vanno in crisi...).
Buona Musica,
Nico

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

RnFR wrote:here is the early version of the Sinfhoton-
SINPHOTON_schem.jpg
i caught this vid on the tube last night. it sounds killer!

I gotta build me one of these.

RnFR could you reupload the schematic? It's not available any more