JHS - Treble Booster ( Hornby-Skewes )

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

Electric Warrior wrote:whoops, I'm sorry! I clicked too fast.. but you found the right one. that was the one I wanted to link to.
:D

It happens. That thread is an interesting read. Bassplayer is doing the right thing by not making assumptions, and only putting down the information that he can visually verify.

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

right. we have learned that assumptions lead to myths.. his beta status schematics will probably lead to some persistent new ones :mrgreen:
he may be wrong about the 47n input cap. I can't precisely tell what the grey cap in the picture on page 1 reads. it might be .0047.

this thread is so empty without pictures.. here's my schematic:
hs treble booster schematic.png
should be nearly identical to bassplayer's

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Electric Warrior wrote: he may be wrong about the 47n input cap. I can't precisely tell what the grey cap in the picture on page 1 reads. it might be .0047.
I agree. Look at the .001uf cap and note the position of the "." in relation to the "001". Compare that to the larger cap, which has a clearly visible "47", a semi-obscured "0", and a large space between the "." and the first number that's visible. That leads me to believe that it is a .0047uf cap. That would be incredibly bright sounding with the .001uf output cap, but that's what the photo appears to have.

BTW, your schematic shows the 4061 as NPN. I'm not sure if that's a software limitation or an oversight. Just thought you might want to make that correction.

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

actually it's both :D
I can set it to PNP, but I can't rotate it.. fixed it, but it looks weired. thanks for pointing it out!

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Electric Warrior wrote:actually it's both :D
I can set it to PNP, but I can't rotate it.. fixed it, but it looks weired. thanks for pointing it out!
I thought I remembered it being weird on that program. Easiest fix is probably just to notate on the schematic that the transistor should be PNP instead of NPN, or just change the arrows orientation in MS Paint or a similar program.

I'll probably go ahead and make a Eagle layout for the HSTB here in the next day or two. I'll have to use suggested values for a few places, but I can notate that as well.

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

fixing it in a graphics application is cheating :mrgreen:
hs treble booster schematic.png (19.69 KiB) Viewed 2851 times

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Yo

I don't remember this being mentioned in the thread but the specific reason people mistake the 2n4061 for the 2n4861 in the HSTB is because on some of the TI 2n4061's there is a diagonal line in the zero meant to differentiate it from being the letter "o" apparently is wasn't diagonal enough and people mistook it for a smudged 8.

--Brad

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

sounds like a good explanation. the typefaces on the transistors did vary. I haven't seen any with a diagonal line trough the zero, though - but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
another thing to keep in mind is, that the writing is tiny.. it looks much bigger in the pictures, than it actually is. in reality it's hardly readable without a magnifying glass

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

if you want to make an accurate schematic it is the way to go, yes.

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Electric Warrior wrote:sounds like a good explanation. the typefaces on the transistors did vary. I haven't seen any with a diagonal line trough the zero, though - but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
another thing to keep in mind is, that the writing is tiny.. it looks much bigger in the pictures, than it actually is. in reality it's hardly readable without a magnifying glass
Yo

Yeah the first pic I saw of the HSTB the transistor had the stroke through the zero. I can't seem to find it online though. I think it was pics from the unit R.G. got his schem from.

--Brad

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

glad to hear it works well.
no wonder they put the zonk II and a treble booster into same enclosure, eh? API (over at the D*A*M Forum) reported the same thing about the fuzz in his Shatterbox. too bassy, but it oscillated with the booster switched on.

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

wait, now that you got it accurate you can start tweaking the hell out of it and improve upon the original design :mrgreen:
does the combination of the two sound anything like early t.rex ()? I know Bolan used a Shatterbox at some point, but I'm not quite sure at which one..

I'm not quite sure what you mean by wobble.. I'll probably find out when I build the circuit 8)

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

I don't think he had the HH as early as that. It might be the AC30
I think the song for it's bizarre amount of fuzz. and it's charming in a naive way but whoever put it on youtube shouldn't have put a delay all over it..

glad you got it right :applause:

in the picture on the bottom of Analogman's Bolan page the Rangemaster is sitting right next to the shatterbox. maybe he liked the fuzz better with a germanium booster :) http://www.analogman.com/bolan.htm

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

now if only we could get the HH IC100s schemo and make the pre in pedal form! can't find the schemo anywhere that doesn't charge for it, though. maybe i'll start a new thread,
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Yo

He used Vampower amps at some point. There's some good info on Analogman's site: http://www.analogman.com/bolan.htm

--Brad

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Thought I might include a pic or two...These are courtesy a collector on the D*A*M site, IIRC. :scratch:

The Prototipo Supa Fuzz kicks monumental ass no matter how you slice it!

Enjoy,

NG.
Attachments
Bolan's VamPower, Proto Supa, RangeMaster=Hugs.jpg
Bolan's VamPower, Proto Supa, RangeMaster=Hugs.jpg (382.19 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Bolan's VamPower, Proto Supa, RangeMaster=Hugs1.jpg
Bolan's VamPower, Proto Supa, RangeMaster=Hugs1.jpg (471.62 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yeah, those Vamps kick ass all over the HH's, but i thought if it was an easy build it might be fun for a pedal project being solid state and all.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Here's the clip Biffa recorded (Zonk + Hornby Skewes Treble Booster): http://naturalbornyoers.com/forumpics/zonk+jhs.mp3

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

RnFR wrote:now if only we could get the HH IC100s schemo and make the pre in pedal form! can't find the schemo anywhere that doesn't charge for it, though. maybe i'll start a new thread,
I may have it at home. I'll see if I do this weekend.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Nice clip biffa! Sounds great!

jrod