Kimberly Buzz Box and Volume Expander pedal 1968  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: my own, a redesigned princeton
Completed builds: so fucking many goddamn pedals it would make your ass hurt just looking at 'em all!!!!!
there's videos that totally suck of about 90 of 'em here:
http://youtube.com/666pinkster
gimme a like: http://facebook.com/pinkjimiphotonrocks

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

never heard of one, but it looks kinda cool...

any ideas what it is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-VINTAGE-RA ... 4d0b621ead
Attachments
Kimberley Buzz Box gut shot
Kimberley Buzz Box gut shot
kbbguts.png (468.99 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
Kimberley Buzz Box case
Kimberley Buzz Box case
kbb.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

This should be the same as the Conrad Buzz Box & Volume Expander.

jallenshaw
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jallenshaw »

See the bottom of this page>>>> http://tonebender.webs.com/fuzz.htm

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: so fucking many goddamn pedals it would make your ass hurt just looking at 'em all!!!!!

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

looks to be different, in the ebay pics you can see a diode clipper pretty clearly.

i've built the umi.... dave/lucifer's trip figured out the issue with this, the schematic has a mistake,
Slava Ukraini!

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

jallenshaw wrote:See the bottom of this page>>>> http://tonebender.webs.com/fuzz.htm
the funny thing is that, I believe, all (the last 4) of those Fuzz Rite type circuit schematics are wrong or incomplete.

the Orpheum si doesn't have the pots listed (did anyone ever confirm those?), the Orpheum ge is missing the .1uf to ground from between the two 47K's, on the UMI, the .0022uF goes to the .15uF/4.7K/1M junction instead of Q2B, and the Conrad probably has the same error?

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

maybe someone can recognize it from some values...what can you guys make out?

brown/green/yellow/silver = 150K
red/red/red/silver = 2.2K (if orange, 33K)
brown/black/green/silver = 1M

only the last matches a Conrad/ UMI

there's a couple other related ones at the Effect DB

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/au ... s/fuzzound
Apollo 843 Buzz Box & Volume Expander
Kimberly Buzz Box and Volume Expander

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

pinkjimiphoton wrote:looks to be different, in the ebay pics you can see a diode clipper pretty clearly.
Yup! I do see those clipping diodes now that you pointed them out.

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

...and is that a yellow/white/red/silver = 4.9K (if orange, 49K) ?

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Looks like Yellow/White (or very faded violet), Red to me.

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

jrod wrote:Looks like Yellow/White (or very faded violet), Red to me.
4.7K would make more sense

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

did you guys read the guy's description? i think he's on lsd, but he says every time you stomp it it sounds different.

so i'd bet on germanium, but i'm but i'm not savvy enough yet to id it by components. to me, it kinda looks like a fuzzmite variant with a full wave rectifier (if thaat's what ya call a diode clipper)

could it actually be something new, maybe?

maybe i could ask the guy to send me some better gut shots?
Slava Ukraini!

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

pinkjimiphoton wrote: [...]
so i'd bet on germanium [...]
in the description he says: "Loaded with rare RCA 2N2613 FW 7D transistors."
that actually are PNP germanium transistors

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

i asked him (quite politely for me) for some more detailed gut shots.

this has gotta be something we've seen before but we're not recognizing. hard to tell from the pics...
my eyes are too dodgy to tell the colours very well... brown and violet, yellow and white, orange and red are hard for me to distinguish at this point,
even when they're in front of me. :hmmm:

i'm not color blind, just hard of seeing i guess.

hopefully he'll respond. be nice to find another new old fuzz.
Slava Ukraini!

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

I looked over the gut shots pretty good last night and tried to compare them to schematics I have saved and couldn't come up with anything. I don't recall seeing any two germanium transistor circuits with clipping diodes. I looks like there are only 3 caps and they are electrolytic, so they are probably large values (1uF on up). Couldn't match up the caps or resistor values that are visible. My best guess is it could a stripped down version of the Conrad/Umi type circuit (no tone control) with clipping diodes?

I hope you do get some more guts shots, pinkjimiphoton. It'll be cool to see what this circuit is. I am certainly anxious to find out!

Thanks for starting the BTW!!! :thumbsup

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

Intripped wrote:
pinkjimiphoton wrote: [...]
so i'd bet on germanium [...]
in the description he says: "Loaded with rare RCA 2N2613 FW 7D transistors."
that actually are PNP germanium transistors
I forgot to mention that that's what you'll see listed in the original Q1 in a FuzzRite
http://www.mosritecelebrity.com/_wp_gen ... 7c8b52.gif

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

jrod wrote:I looked over the gut shots pretty good last night and tried to compare them to schematics I have saved and couldn't come up with anything. I don't recall seeing any two germanium transistor circuits with clipping diodes. I looks like
there is actually the Sekova /Apollo / Crestwood, but it's not that...and those prob all (the Sekova does) use Japanese transistors, also.
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/001/schem ... _FA-II.gif

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

The construction puts me in mind of the Rogue Fuzz.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

i heard back from the guy, he wanted to know what specifically i wanna see... suggestions?

i'm thinking cap values... can you guys make out the circuit enough to trace it if i can get the values out of him?
Slava Ukraini!

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

From what I can see it has a somewhat of a Fuzzrite structure. Q1 has that electro from the input jack connected to its base. The -9V supply feeds a 2K2 or 33K connected to its collector with a 1M across the collector/base junction. Both transistors' emitters appear to be grounded. The fuzz control is like a Fuzzrite with the output of Q1 on lug1 and Q2 on lug3. Q2 has another one of the 2K2 or 33K's on its collector but with a 150K across the collector/base junction this time. The question now is how the third 2K2/33K, the 4K7, and the diode pair are connected as well as the switching arrangement. The output of Q1 has to get to the base of Q2 somehow. I could be wrong but I think the final 2K2/33K connects to Q1's output cap on the fuzz control. The other end connects to the diode pair which is grounded on the output jacks' ground lug. The 4K7 is also connected to this junction with its other end connected to Q2's base. I could be wrong though as these pics are blurry and have some stuff obscured. My guess about the switching is that it connects lugs 1 and 3 together. The phase cancellation would reduce the gain...

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

pinkjimiphoton wrote:i heard back from the guy, he wanted to know what specifically i wanna see... suggestions?

i'm thinking cap values... can you guys make out the circuit enough to trace it if i can get the values out of him?
Cool! Maybe some clearer closeup shots of the circuit, cap and pot values?