DeArmond - Model 1930 Twister ( Phaser )  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Here are some guts of the DeArmond Twister:
cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-NOS-DEARMOND-TWISTER-PHASE-SHIFTER-IN-ORIG-BOX_W0QQitemZ220250895590QQihZ012QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks interesting. I would invest up to $49,-- for it, but $499,-- "Buy it now" is a little bit much.

enjoy the guts,
analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

"don't by it now".......it is too much!!!!! :slap:

Thank's Analogguru....

...Is this thing simmilar to Bad stone??...I do not see fet-s....and it is not Ota based......or optical..........so it is something like IC with fets inside? ( like in bad stone ,ross , or ETI ....4049)

:thumbsup

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Blues Junior
Completed builds: None yet. Some successful repairs though, which is a step in the right direction.

Post by Rorer714 »

I have one of these. It's in mint condition too. No box. I am not en expert on circuit desing so I cannot tell you if it's like this or like that, but I can tell you that it is very thick and rich. It's one of my fave phasers. When I bought it it was because I had never seen one before and it was rare and exotic; but when I got it home and played it I was happy to find that it was one of those times when the promise of the looks of the box were fulfilled by the sound.

BTW - the one here is only the second that I've ever seen, and mine was the first. Of course there are more than two but it seems to be a fairly scarce box.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

nice.....!

could you open it, and read whatr is written on IC-s?
Or even better just place it on your scanner, and scan it....( after that resize canvas...) :)

if you have time :thumbsup
thanks

boris

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

They do pop up from time to time and I think I missed one by a few dollars (ending bid was around $80) but that is the cleanest one I've seen. I thought maybe it was a scaled down version of the Pedal Phaser but it doesn't look likely. Nice unit but not for that much.
The television will not be revolutionized.

RatSlap
Information

Post by RatSlap »

I have one of these that for some reason about 12 years ago I removed the wires off the foot switch and of course I can't find the notes for where the wires went. I'd like to repair this effect. There are 4 wires, 2 yellow and 2 light blue. The switch has 3 terminals. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Sadly there is no schematic floating around yet.
If you make some pictures of the component and track side of the pcb it should be posssible to sort that out for you.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

RatSlap
Information

Post by RatSlap »

Thank you, I'll post pictures later today.

RatSlap
Information

Post by RatSlap »

Here are a few pics. Hopefully they'll help.
Attachments
000_2442.JPG
000_2441.JPG
000_2440.JPG
000_2439.JPG

RatSlap
Information

Post by RatSlap »

A few more.
Attachments
000_2446.JPG
000_2445.JPG
000_2444.JPG
000_2443.JPG

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i would also post clean shots of the top and bottom of the board. it will be much easier to trace, and hence, help you with your problem.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RatSlap
Information

Post by RatSlap »

RnFR wrote:i would also post clean shots of the top and bottom of the board. it will be much easier to trace, and hence, help you with your problem.
Sure thing.
Attachments
000_2449.JPG
000_2447.JPG

RatSlap
Information

Post by RatSlap »

Pictures not good enough? I know it's a shot in the dark that someone can figure this repair out from a few pictures.

I was hoping that someone on here owned a Twister where they could open it up and help me match the wire placement up to the switch.

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Blues Junior
Completed builds: None yet. Some successful repairs though, which is a step in the right direction.

Post by Rorer714 »

borislavgajic wrote:nice.....!

Or even better just place it on your scanner, and scan it....( after that resize canvas...) :)

thanks

boris
Hello Boris, sorry for the wait in replying. I have been traveling. But I am home now and just took a ton of pics of some of pedals and uploaded them to Z-Share. I took one of these gutshots for you. You can see everything clearly without having to be on a scanner. My camera takes nice closeups. I did not pay anywhere near $499 for the pedal! I forgot exactly what it was, but it was around $100. And it couldn't be much cleaner. I have a matching Dearmond Square Wave Generator too. It's not in the pics because it was being used. I like it too. Studio1525 has one for $450 but I didn't pay anywhere near that either and it's mint too. I generally just sit back and wait for the mountains to come to me!

Anyway I will start a thread and link to the pics that I uploaded soon. It took me two whole days to take the pics and upload them and copy down all the links so I could paste them into the thread. Look for it some time this week. It will have your Twister gutshot, some others that were requested, and general pics of my collection (which I like well enough but is not in the league of the heavy hitters, although I do have some pedals that would be prizes in anyone's collection).

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

great!

thanks

boris

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

borislavgajic wrote:nice.....!

thanks

boris
Ok, let´s do some clairvoyance - my guess:
2 x LM 324
1 x CD 4011
1 x CD 4016

analogguru

grizzlytone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by grizzlytone »

Hey dude, Maybe you've already figured it out but the BLUE wire from the output ("AMP") jack goes to the lug nearest to the output jack, the two yellow wires goes to the lug right next to it, the yellow wire from the input ("INST") jack being just that -the input signal. The other yellow wire that goes to the PCB is the input to the circuit (so it's not true bypass but I wouldn't worry to much about that if I were you...), The final BLUE wire from the PCB is the output from the circuit -it goes to the one lug left on the footswitch (the one furthest away from the jacks)
The Twister sounds really sweet so it is well worth fixing.
Merry Christmas /MB

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Handful of Gutshots, courtesy of Mr. Edkoppel;
Attachments
deArmond Twister_1.jpg
deArmond Twister_2.jpg
deArmond Twister_3.jpg
deArmond Twister_4.jpg
deArmond Twister_5.jpg
deArmond Twister_6.jpg
deArmond Twister_7.jpg
deArmond Twister_8.jpg
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Pretty curious, this one doesn't have the Trimpot that is attached to the solder side of the other examples.
Attachments
deArmond Twister_9.jpg
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

fernieite
Information

Post by fernieite »

Hi all. I just bought a Dearmond Twister phase shifter off a guy on the Gear Page. It arrived today, but it makes a thumping sound that increases and decreases with the rate control. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.