Schaller - Fuzz (Germanium)  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Schoppo

Post by Schoppo »

Hello Happy Fuzz Folks.
here some research update on the Schaller Fuzz:

After building one and testing the annoying sound of that didn´t remind me anything on that sound i remembered.
So something must be wrong. After switching on my head a little bit (sometimes it works ;-) and some more research, this is what i found out:
1. there are two versions differ significant from the other one we now with the 1k 470R on Q2 Collector, but this doesn`t even bias Q2 in the neighbourhood of
a useful sound. there must be a whole Generation gone wrong, by swapping the "Intensität" Pot. Checked it by putting in some 100 Ohm and...
the sound was there: this "Fuck the whole Tonebenders, Fuzz Faces, and whatever you ever liked on a Fuzz" this thing Fucks them all ( mmmmhhh :hmmm: a matter of taste, but you got to hear it-this sound i loved it till first time i heard :P :D just wonderful.
but:
2. there is another but very rare Version, that has the same 8k/470R Voltage divider on Q2 as a fuzz face, but with the 15K on Q1 Collector (never seen one)

So Folks as result
"Intensität" Pot is 100R not 1K

Byby

Schoppo

Post by Schoppo »

oh and:
there are some versions that have 50K Volume Pot, but this just doesn`t make any difference (so 500k instead of 100k will)

BQmusic
Completed builds: Germanium, silicium, Bonamassa Fuzzface, SHO, Klon Centaur, Dumbbell, Flipster, Univibe, Wooly Mammoth, SVTDI,

Post by BQmusic »

Mine looks like this. AC151, 470R / 100R at the collector of Q2, 15k at the collector of Q1.
Lowering the 15k improves the sound dramatically so I added a bias trimpot parallel to that resistor.
Attachments
SchallerFuzz Jelte.jpg

Manfred
Transistor Tuner

Post by Manfred »

BQmusic wrote:Mine looks like this. AC151, 470R / 100R at the collector of Q2, 15k at the collector of Q1.
Lowering the 15k improves the sound dramatically so I added a bias trimpot parallel to that resistor.
What is the value of the trimpot?

mictester
Old Solderhand
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Use a 10k fixed resistor in series with a 25k preset trimmer wired as a variable resistor. Start with the trimmer shorted out, so the resistance is 10k. Increase the trimmer resistance slowly while playing through the thing. You'll soon find the "sweet spot"!

One build I did recently for a friend of this kind of circuit had a 22k fixed resistor and two switchable trimmers (each 25k) to select between two quite differently sounding "sweet spots".
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"