Colorsound - Jumbo Tonebender  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

...Pro Traffic Fuzz Unit, B.G Fuzz, CMI Fuzz Unit, B&M Champion Fuzz... And that last one - actually reissue made by Faustone is where I started.

I really liked that version, but decided to make my own layout

As you see there is few components off-board. I could do it on bigger board and have them all on tags, but standard tag board takes maximum 18 columns - so this is the reason. Look what Pigdog is doing, complete effect units with flying components. With just a little creativity and time you can archive great results routing these couple of caps and resistors.

My advice is to use small diameter radial caps here. MKT1813 250v 100n's should be small enough, all horizontally orientated components could be hide on the revers side of the board for layout clarity and simplicity, the same apply to the jumper wires.

Control pots are switched over (compared to the original) to keep as short flying component connection as possible

No component values listed, just the name + schematic. Use your own set to make any variation from those listed above, or to roll your own

Ground points are close enough to do ins and outs with shielded wire, if you want me to do layout like that - let me know

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

Looks cool Pawel, gonna breadboard this one up and give her a rip. Looks like Q3 may have had his name legally changed to Q4.
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

timbo_93631 wrote: Looks like Q3 may have had his name legally changed to Q4.
Thanks, just a typo :thumbsup

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Shit... that's looks cool!

finom1
Information

Post by finom1 »

sinner wrote:...Pro Traffic Fuzz Unit, B.G Fuzz, CMI Fuzz Unit, B&M Champion Fuzz... And that last one - actually reissue made by Faustone is where I started.

I really liked that version, but decided to make my own layout

As you see there is few components off-board. I could do it on bigger board and have them all on tags, but standard tag board takes maximum 18 columns - so this is the reason. Look what Pigdog is doing, complete effect units with flying components. With just a little creativity and time you can archive great results routing these couple of caps and resistors.

My advice is to use small diameter radial caps here. MKT1813 250v 100n's should be small enough, all horizontally orientated components could be hide on the revers side of the board for layout clarity and simplicity, the same apply to the jumper wires.

Control pots are switched over (compared to the original) to keep as short flying component connection as possible

No component values listed, just the name + schematic. Use your own set to make any variation from those listed above, or to roll your own

Ground points are close enough to do ins and outs with shielded wire, if you want me to do layout like that - let me know
Do you have any sound files?

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Fausto has recently posted schematic and transistors gains on his site.
Attachments
Faustone_Fuzz_Unit_schematic.pdf
(70.54 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

tassosmavr
Information

Post by tassosmavr »

Here is one.
Attachments
IMG_0515.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Looks cool. Its not my layout, isn't it?

tassosmavr
Information

Post by tassosmavr »

No it isn't yours but i will try yours when i have some free time.