Want to build single tube amp

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Syrus1312
Information
my favorite amplifier: VOX VT30 / Supro 16T

Post by Syrus1312 »

Hey,

I'm new at this forum, so this my introduction.

I really enjoy this forum and all the posts. Some are really good. :P

In this experience, I'm hoping to find some help.

I've been amazed by so many mainstream amp's having to much non-sense onboard.
Therefore, I'm looking for something pure.

Something like a singe tube, low watt amp.
With minimum part count. Just a volume, perhaps. Just want to plug my guitar into a simple quiet tube amp.
I have experience with solid state, but I'm most aware of the hazards of getting shocked when playing with Caps.
Death by electrocution isn't funny.

:arrow: I found this online http://guitar-dreamer.blogspot.com/2011 ... e-amp.html
Maybe, just what I needed. :idea:

Is this schematic any good, what are things to be improven? :scratch:
How do I make a simple layout?

Many thanks in advance!
:lol:
Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George Bernard Shaw

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

I would not recommend that amp... There are some quite good small 12ax7/12AU7 amps, but if I have to build an amplifier with just one tube I would use a ECL82 (or 6bm8 if you are in US). That is a preamp triode and power pentode in one bottle. Gives about 3 watts. And it can be very very simple.

Here is a draft schematic just to show you how simple it can be (and there is still some parts you can take away). Of course it needs a power supply, but that's not a big deal to come up with on amp like this.

EDIT: Crap, that pentode g1 220k resistor is in a wrong place... Well. There might be some other issues as well, so do not build this. It is just to show you an example.
Attachments
Näyttökuva 2011-07-31 kohteessa 22.19.45.JPG
Näyttökuva 2011-07-31 kohteessa 22.19.45.JPG (21.48 KiB) Viewed 4036 times

Syrus1312
Information

Post by Syrus1312 »

Well thanks anyways :)

What I'm aiming for is, simple 12ax7 amp. These tubes come in all flavors and are widely available.
Low watts, so sub 1 watt.

What do you recommend?
Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George Bernard Shaw

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

Syrus1312 wrote:Well thanks anyways :)

What I'm aiming for is, simple 12ax7 amp. These tubes come in all flavors and are widely available.

What do you recommend?
To be honest... Forget it. 12AX7 is a preamp tube. You can build some very nice preamps whit it...

But! There is this thing called firefly: http://fireflyamp.prv.pl/images/scheme.gif That is ok and some people really like it, but I didn't like it as it is. However something like ECC99 instead of 12AU7 in power amp will work better. Or should I say "sound better".

You can also use any common power tube (6V6, 6L6, EL84, EL34 etc.) if you lower the supply voltage. Something like 100-150 volts to 6V6 and you have a 1W amp. It makes power supply more complicated and preamp needs some adjustment, but it can be done.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

This one always interested me... needs a special tube though - http://www.solorb.com/elect/musiccirc/squirrelmonkey1/

Syrus1312
Information

Post by Syrus1312 »

SirElwood wrote:
Syrus1312 wrote:Well thanks anyways :)

What do you recommend?
To be honest... Forget it. 12AX7 is a preamp tube. You can build some very nice preamps whit it...
Actually, I own a Killer Ant. Which is just 2 pre-amp tubes, 2 x 12ax7. This amp uses only one half of a 12ax7 as power-amp.
The thing is, I want it more simple. No tone-stack and single tube.

if all else fails, I Will build a PTP version of it. Only those damn transformers are bugging me. It has to be possible to make an amp with just a single 12ax7. Power is no concern. The tone-stack is probably the only reason why there a two tubes and not one. :)

Syrus1312
Information

Post by Syrus1312 »

Scruffie wrote:This one always interested me... needs a special tube though - http://www.solorb.com/elect/musiccirc/squirrelmonkey1/
Thanks for the link. That's the spirit.

12dw7 seems like a good option too or 12AT7

Yeah, that is a weird tube :)
yet very interesting too ;)

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

ECL82 i think i have fallen in love with this tube. this is a much better choice than my old 6dx8's thank you thank you thank you

Syrus1312
Information

Post by Syrus1312 »

In the sense of ECL82

http://niteglow.webs.com/ :)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

You could also use a Tube like a 6GW8, these are in a 9-pin format and are similar in size to an EL84, but they contain half of a 12AX7, and a Beam-Power Tetrode in the one glass envelope, you could use one to make AX84.com's P1 amp, or maybe a High-Octane if you added an extra 12AX7 Tube..... :hmmm:

If you decide to try using a 6GW8, just bear in mind that the heater (pins 4 and 5) requires 6.3VAC..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall VM 2466

Post by DeanM »

DrNomis wrote:If you decide to try using a 6GW8, just bear in mind that the heater (pins 4 and 5) requires 6.3VAC..... :thumbsup
Datasheet says AC or DC.

btw...the ecl82 mentioned above also contains a triode and a Pentode.

Zipslack
Information

Post by Zipslack »

Take a look at this...it's not bad. My 12AT7 version is a clean to slightly dirty version for using OD/boost pedals. The original version by Rexindigo uses a 12AX7 and sounds pretty decent from his clips.

*** Warning - it's on that OTHER forum ***

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t4563/

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

My biggest question with mini amps is why does everyone serum to want
To use a fender reverb transformer ?i don't get it why not a champ one. better specs higher voltage more wattage same price biggest dif is 4 ohm load but they make 8 ohm replacements now I have two in the shop now.

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall VM 2466

Post by DeanM »

Zipslack wrote:Take a look at this...it's not bad. My 12AT7 version is a clean to slightly dirty version for using OD/boost pedals. The original version by Rexindigo uses a 12AX7 and sounds pretty decent from his clips.

The MP3 he posted sounds pretty good!

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Zipslack wrote:

I'm pretty sure you were just being facetious, but if not, please don't hesitate to use the name of any other forum here. we don't have any of those stupid rules. it's printed nice and big in the link, anyway. :block:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Zipslack
Information

Post by Zipslack »

You caught me...I was being facetious. Some forums are really fussy about cross-posting and linking.

As far as the reverb transformer, it's designed to match-up with 12AX7/12AY7/12AT7. It's got a nice high impedance on the input (11k - 22k, depending on model) with 8 ohm out and is much cheaper to obtain -- about $8 - 10 US.

Syrus1312
Information

Post by Syrus1312 »

Damn :P

Been on a holiday for a week, but look at all the posts :)

Great !

Thanks all, is everybody feeling the single tube mojo already :P ?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hmmmm....I've had some experience with re-winding transformers, I might have a go at making a small 1 tube amp, and see if I can make my own output and power transformers for it..... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Syrus1312
Information

Post by Syrus1312 »

DrNomis wrote:Hmmmm....I've had some experience with re-winding transformers, I might have a go at making a small 1 tube amp, and see if I can make my own output and power transformers for it..... :hmmm:
Sounds Cool, is it difficult?

( I Realise that is a relevant question to skill) But in general? It should be more easy then, say pick-ups? :P

I was wondering about hum, my thoughts are to recitfy the Heater current to DC and twist the cables, use starground, and so on.

Ac -> DC is better right? Hum-be-gone? :popcorn:

I was also thinking about making a sort of faraday cage around the Transformers and grounding this, does this seems logic to you guys? :block:

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi Syrus,

My recommendation is to use the supply design found in the niteglow example, or better is to use a wallwart to provide 6 Vac (replacing transformer TR1) and an internal transformer of 120 to 6 Vac connected backwards (as TR2 are) to provide the high voltage needed by the tube.

Keep in mind that the ECL82 was commonly used at no more than 200 Vcc, so the supply voltages listed at the diagram seems to be excessive.

Don't worry about use dc for the heaters. If you follow the approach used in that schematic, you see that the heater are elevated some volts from ground. Better than that is to build a voltage divider taken from the plate supply to obtain 40 to 60 Vdc to feed the junction of both 100 ohms resistors.

This way the leakage between cathode and heater is cancelled, and also the hum, so you don´t have to provide regulated supply to heat the bulb. Just twist the filament wires inside the unit.

Regard the transformers, the best is to have one constructed with a shield, like the reverb driver of the Fender amps:

This is also valid for the 120 to 6 volts to be placed inside the chassis (TR2 in the schematic).

Cheers,
Jose