My New Legacy 5 Watt Class A Valve Guitar Amplifier

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hi friends,

I just scored myself this Legacy 5 Watt Class A Valve Guitar Amp from Billy Hyde Music, it normally retails for Aus $399.00, I got it for just Aus $150.00, why?, because the fuse holders are broken and I told the Shop Assistants at Billy Hyde Music that I could fix it myself, they had a talk amongst themselves and agreed to sell it to me for Aus $150.00...good score or what?...... :D

Here's a pic of the Amplifier:
Attachments
Legacy 5 Watt Class A Valve Guitar Amplifier
Legacy 5 Watt Class A Valve Guitar Amplifier
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Does anyone know where I can find a schematic or service manual for this?, any help muchly appreciated as I really want to get it going..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

That looks like epiphone valve special amplifier. http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEPABKSPDSP

If so, here is the schematic.
Attachments
Epiphone_Valve_Special.JPG

marmaliser
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marmaliser »

Nice score :thumbsup

EDIT - TOO SLOW :( It looks like a rebadged epiphone Valve Standard / Special so I would start your search there. If you can not find one contact Gibson, I believe they will supply them

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

That is indeed a nice score. Lots of potential in these amps. Valve jr. was some time ago very popular and people modded a hell out of those. Special/standard has some crappy effects and if you bypass those you get nice amplifier. And there is extra potentiometer holes you can use something usefull like tremolo or something. Might be a fun project.
Last edited by SirElwood on 10 Aug 2011, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

marmaliser wrote:Nice score :thumbsup

EDIT - TOO SLOW :( It looks like a rebadged epiphone Valve Standard / Special so I would start your search there. If you can not find one contact Gibson, I believe they will supply them

Thank you so much marmaliser, don't feel too bad about that, the info you've given me is actually alot of help...cheers... :thumbsup

Might post some gutshots of the amp chassis..... :thumbsup

I mostly need to see how the three fuses are wired so I can replace the three broken fuse holders..... :thumbsup

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

SirElwood wrote:That is indeed a nice score. Lots of potential in these amps. Valve jr. was some time ago very popular and people modded a hell out of those. Special/standard has some crappy effects and if you bypass those you get nice amplifier. And there is extra potentiometer holes you can use something usefull like tremolo or something. Might be a fun project.

Cool...cheers.... :thumbsup

Want me to post some gutshots of the chassis?..... :hmmm:

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

DrNomis wrote:Want me to post some gutshots of the chassis?..... :hmmm:
Well... I have seen enough of those... :lol: But it can't hurt if you do so. It might help some other people in the future. :thumbsup

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

SirElwood wrote:
DrNomis wrote:Want me to post some gutshots of the chassis?..... :hmmm:
Well... I have seen enough of those... :lol: But it can't hurt if you do so. It might help some other people in the future. :thumbsup

Okay.... :thumbsup

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

SirElwood wrote:That looks like epiphone valve special amplifier. http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEPABKSPDSP

If so, here is the schematic.

That Epiphone Valve Special amp looks awfully similar to my amp, same control layouts too.... :hmmm:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Valve line-up in my amp is x2 Chinese 12AX7B preamp tubes and x1 Sovtek EL84/6BQ5 power tube.... 8)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Okay, I have fixed the amp and it's working well, a slight bit of background hum but apart from that, no other issues, the amp sounds a little dark, probably because my Ibanez guitar is a bit dark sounding, but I'm able to get a useable clean sound out of it, and an interesting overdriven sound out of the amp, but set the amp for a clean sound and use Bajaman's Baja Real Tube Overdrive pedal with it and you have some nice Rock sounds remeniscent of a Marshall, the onboard DSP FX arent that crash hot, most useable seems to be the delay effects, on the otherhand, the reverb is very useable and adds depth to the sound of the amp, I'm really liking the amp..... :D :thumbsup

marmaliser
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marmaliser »

This any help for your HUM
http://music-electronics-forum.com/t3020/

BTW Taking an interest in this as I have just finished modding a Valve junior which now sounds a lot better now

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

marmaliser wrote:This any help for your HUM
http://music-electronics-forum.com/t3020/

BTW Taking an interest in this as I have just finished modding a Valve junior which now sounds a lot better now

Oh cheers mate.... :thumbsup

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Here's something I've just discovered, if you want to use the amp's basic overdrive, but want more gain, try using a Timmy to overdrive it more, the bass cut control really gets rid of any tendency for flabbiness.... :thumbsup

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

far too many controls for a 5 watt amp :wink:
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

bajaman wrote:far too many controls for a 5 watt amp :wink:

I totally agree bajaman, and far too many controls for simple old me...rofl...sorry couldn't resist a little self-deprecation, at my own expense.... :lol:

I tried your Real Tube Overdrive pedal through it and it sounds great.... :thumbsup

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall VM 2466

Post by DeanM »

DrNomis wrote:Here's something I've just discovered, if you want to use the amp's basic overdrive, but want more gain, try using a Timmy to overdrive it more
:shock: Wow, really? :?: you just discovered using a pedal as a booster? :scratch: :slap:

:mrgreen: thats almost signature worthy stuff there! lol :blackeye

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

DeanM wrote:
DrNomis wrote:Here's something I've just discovered, if you want to use the amp's basic overdrive, but want more gain, try using a Timmy to overdrive it more
:shock: Wow, really? :?: you just discovered using a pedal as a booster? :scratch: :slap:

:mrgreen: thats almost signature worthy stuff there! lol :blackeye

Lol....yeah I know.... :lol:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Sorry for my abscence, anyway, it turns out that my Legacy Valve Edition 5 Plus amp is indeed an Epiphone Valve Special Combo, it says so on the PCB, basically it has been re-badged as a Legacy amp, I did some mods to the power supply, removed all the stock 22uF/450V caps, and replaced two of them with a 100uF/400V, and the other two with a 47uF/450V cap, result, it's much quieter, no annoying background hum when the HT standby switch is switched to "play"... :)