Crate - Stealth 50 (schematic wanted)

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
RLBJR65
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by RLBJR65 »

Just curious. My nephew bought one at a pawn shop for $180.
Never been a crate fan but it sounds wonderfull! Kind of wondering what they did right with this one?!

Has 4 Sovtek Hot Rods 6V6 GT power tubes. The Hot Rods must not have been anything special... all black kind of neat looking though.

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

I am 95% sure that the Crate Stealths were all designed by Lee Jackson. Not the best materials or construction necessarily, but they are known to be an excellent deal and sound great for that type of sound.

I think he also drew up a couple solid state amps for crate that are also known to sound pretty good.

Haven't seen any schematics though.

-chris

RLBJR65
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by RLBJR65 »

Yep here it is on the Lee jackson web site http://www.leejackson.com/GT50C.htm

I thought he got a really good deal for 180 but it seems thats about what they are going for. 200 - 250 on ebay and Craigslist. What a steal for such a great sounding amp!

It's a little bright but if you were using it in a garage band it's just what you need to cut through. Looking at reviews it seems like most replace the speaker and that takes care of it.

Still curious about the Hot Rods tubes? Can't seem to find any info. Maybe Sovtek made them only for Crate.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I remember those amps! The store where I took guitar lessons was big into them. I remember the black Hot Rods tubes too. Don't remember any details other than I remember they existed.
Judging by the time period.... they might be an oddball Russian industrial/military tube that matches a 6V6's spec? It seems like most of the Russian stuff from the early 90's was like that; before they started getting all geared up with making "re-issues" of the classic tubes, they just used what they were already set up to make. The original Sovtek "5881" from the 90's was a rebranded military/industrial tube.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

The original Sovtek "5881" from the 90's was a rebranded military/industrial tube.
I heard that they were used to raise the wing flaps (ailerons) in MIG fighter jets. :lol: :lol:
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

gght
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by gght »

Try contacting:

Kyle Fletcher
EAW Parts Admin.
1-800-898-3211 ext 2
(Not sure if this is the correct email address)
LoudParts@loudtechinc.com

I picked up a Crate Vintage Club 20 Reverb off Ebay, and they emailed me a schematic no charge! And this for an out of production model, which is a pretty nice amp!

Dave