VOX AC15 [JMI] Replica Layout and schematic

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote: Other than that, great work Sinner. This, as well as your AC30 stuff, was material I was searching my ass off for some 20 years ago.
Oh, and thanks

Be sure you have more recent (rev7) project file, most of revisions was only cosmetic, but one B+ error was also discovered. Rev7 is verified, working, and sounding great amp was built

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

sinner wrote:I get your point, and I do know it's often PITA, but look. When I joined FSB in late 2008 I knew absolutely nothing about anything. I couldn't read schematic, etc. That day I just bought tremolus lune PCB and wanted to build it (never did). I'm not saying I'm a master mind, but I'm a proof that the FSB used to work. I'm not sure if it works right now

I shouldn't bitchin' really, I'm more into amps recently, and most of my free time I'm spending on other, amp orientated forum, but like I've said, I love this place and I demand the spirit back

I think I see what you're getting at now, you're basically missing what fsb used to be like back then, I guess I probably don't know what it was like since I joined back in 2009, back then when I first joined I hardly knew anyone and was unsure of how things were done in fsb, the protocol if you like, but over the years I've found myself getting to know various members personally, I remember not long after I joined being asked some question about an auto-wah circuit and I ended up going through it and analysing how it works, that was kind of like an icebreaker for me, I'm sure plenty of us have had the same, or similar experiences when we first joined this great forum, it's perfectly okay to bitch about something, we are all human beings after all..... :thumbsup

You know, even though I know what I know about electronics, and I have the skills I've got, I honestly don't consider myself any better than anyone else here in fsb, there's lots of other members who know things about electronics that I don't know, so being a member of this great forum is like a constant learning experience for me since I find myself learning new things every day, and that's what really makes it exciting for me, the opportunities to learn new things, the other exciting thing is being able to pass-on my knowledge to others, and if I've made the world a better place by helping others out through my knowledge, then I consider my life's job done well........ :thumbsup

Do you remember the discussions we used to have about negative feedback in op-amps?, those discussions were cool cause it made me remember the electronics theory I'd learnt at uni.... :thumbsup

Btw, if you ever need help with amps, or amp building in general, just let me know mate, I'm learning about amp building too..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

sinner wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote: I have found in the past that when posting work that you spend hours or days on could lead to 0 comments. Meanwhile you see the download or times read counter speed up. When one is in for the compliments posting stuff is really dissatisfying.
This is why I don't blame you (nor Bajaman) for not posting new stuff. So many times I said to myself, fukit, that's it, no more. But I still feel like I owe a lot to the community (this, and TAG), so I keep coming back with new stuff

Dear Sinner...... :hug: ...You do not owe nothing to nobody...... :horsey: community have their own balls to lick ,suck, scratch....... you are just one creative and generous focker.....sharing your work......and I respect that.
Do how you feel.........not for others but for yourself........somebody else will know how to make some money out of your work :D .....you do this for pleasure.....so your balls already are happy :secret:
Boris

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Cheers man

:hug:

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

I have to say , the colors in the schematic bug me a bit , but thanks for the schematic. I have a Thomas organ Vox pacemaker
which I like and wondered if it was the same ...............clearly not. Is the pentode a good thing ? people like that channel ?

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Why? Are you color blind?

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

I don't build amps, but this is a bad ass project, Sinner. Thanks for sharing!!!

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Great project!

Sinner, are the Top Boost and the EF86 channel completely independent from each other in your amp? I play the Vox AC15H1TV (schematic: http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/vox ... dwired.pdf ), which has two similar channels, and if I plug into the EF86 side, the bass and treble controls of the Top Boost channel affect the sound. As the amp looks terrible inside anyway, I thought about pulling out the circuit board completely and rebuild it on turretboard...

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

roseblood11 wrote:Great project!

Sinner, are the Top Boost and the EF86 channel completely independent from each other in your amp? I play the Vox AC15H1TV (schematic: http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/vox ... dwired.pdf ), which has two similar channels, and if I plug into the EF86 side, the bass and treble controls of the Top Boost channel affect the sound. As the amp looks terrible inside anyway, I thought about pulling out the circuit board completely and rebuild it on turretboard...
Hi roseblood11,

there ware no Top Boost channel/unit in JMI era AC15, Top Boost units (OEM devices) was added to later AC30/6 model (the one with all triode stages, not the one with pentode Brilliance channel) and later as a part of original preampboard in (AFAIK) late 60's and 70's models. Top boost unit was added to Brilliance channel and affected ONLY Brilliance channel - Normal, and Vib/Trem were unaffected.

In a minute I will add rev7 AC30/6 layout where it belongs - this version is confirmed, working unit was build by someone. Not me

If you need clear illustration how to add Top Boost unit to AC30/6 I should have it well illustrated too, just PM me with your email address

sixxiron
Information

Post by sixxiron »

@sinner, I'm brand new here and just wanted to say thanks for the schem/layout docs. VERY cool!

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Cheers

mcferrison
Information

Post by mcferrison »

Hey Sinner,

thanks for the layout. I'm going to build it soon. Cab is here as well as a chassis and some other parts :)
I'm just wondering about the cut after six rows in the second tag board. Is it necessary, does it make sence, or can I use a tagboard with 38 rows?

Thanks,

Markus

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Hi Marcus

I don't really fallow your question

Standard Vox-alike tagboard comes new days with 18x2 tags. When stacking that each after another will give you two tag strips and a bit. That bit is that 6x2 tag piece you got there

mcferrison
Information

Post by mcferrison »

Hi Sinner,
ah I got it. I just bought two tag boards with 42 rows each. So I just was curious if it makes sence to cut it..

Thanks!

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

No, not much. :)

mcferrison
Information

Post by mcferrison »

Hey Sinner,

do you thin 1/2 resistors are fine for everything except the power supply? Didn't found any valid answer so far..
Thanks

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

mcferrison wrote:Hey Sinner,

do you thin 1/2 resistors are fine for everything except the power supply? Didn't found any valid answer so far..
Thanks

You can use 1 Watt resistors with no problems at all, they might prove to be more reliable too..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I would go 1w (at least) carbon film for most of it - she's a noisy cunt. Go with 3w in PS and at least 1w in PA. PA input grinds may be less. Cathode bias resistor go wild, 10w with heat sink

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

You'll need one of these with an AC15!!
Attachments
meazzi.png

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Naaah. Only a box of tissues