ENGL gain trick.. what's really going on?? serious question

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
screamersusa
Information

Post by screamersusa »

There is one thing in the ENGL amps that I noticed and implemented in my GXT100 mods:
They use a 330k anode resistor and a 3.3k cathode at about 350v I think.
My goal is to figure out how many fet or mosfet stages one would need to cascade to
achieve a similar distortion quality and compression.
I am assuming something like the Shaka express clipping stages with perhaps one or two more
or a pair of bs170 BOR/SHO type at the tail might get close. I realize that 4 or 5 fets is
considered a limit due to noise and I'm thinking lower gained stages would be the way to go.

What exactly is going on with that tube arrangement with regard to level and clipping?
The playability is really nice even at lower gain settings, harmonic heaven and dynamic.

The other side of my crate has the Boogie Mark 2 type config stock and with a touch of eq
it does a pretty good Mark series. I tried that with od channel with same result before I changed it
to the desired ENGL config. Now I want it on the floor in a pedal.
The crate od tube is driven by an clean opamp section and still achieves a damn good Engl sound.
I'm pretty sure figuring this out is the key.

teemuk
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teemuk »

You could plot the loadline but overall I think what is "going on" is just carefully applied equalisation pre/post/within distorting gain stages.

I don't think you get a magic formula to great tone just by selecting specific cathode and plate resistances within a single gain stage. Amplifier is always a complete circuit, not a single gain stage; everything affects everything.

Anyway, with B+ of approximately 350V the main differences between 330K/3K3 bias vs. the more generic 100K/1K5 bias is that the former has a plate DC offset much more "centered" in relation to B+ and -slightly- higher gain. The gain difference might, in practice, be negligible but the different DC operating point means that the 330K/3K3 circuit will clip quite symmetrically (resulting into dominance in odd harmonic content) while the 100K/1K5 circuit will clip in more asymmetric manner (resulting into more even order harmonic components in distortion).

The initial clipping of the 100K/1K5 circuit takes place in the positive excursion of the waveform and is somewhat compressing type because of gain modulation due to plate voltage approaching B+. At some point of enough overdrive the clipping becomes so severe that the tube simply goes into cutoff (no current flow), which results into quite "hard" clipping. In this type of circuit this happens long before negative halfwave even starts to clip.

In the 330K/3K3 circuit the clipping starts to take place simultaneously at both at positive and negative excursions (remember, the clipping of this circuit is much more symmetric). The positive halfwave clips pretty much the same way as in the previously discussed circuit (but due to lower plate DC voltage there's less gain compression before hard clipping), negative halfwave clips due to saturation and grid conduction. Since no gain modulation at all takes place at negative voltage excursions it's just straight "hard" clipping once it takes place.

In essence, the 100K/1K5 circuit is asymmetric clipping with slight distortion from gain compression at one halfwave before severe clipping starts. The 330K/3K3 circuit stays moderately "distortion free" to the point where it starts to hard clip rather symmetrically.

Overall, I don't think all this matters too much. Our ears aren't too great in perceiving fine nuances of any of this. To us it usually just sounds "distorted". It's how you apply EQ to that whole process that really defines how the distortion sounds.

teemuk
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teemuk »

Oh, and keep in mind that there's an inherent pitfall in this type of analysis: It entirely neglects the perforamance of surrounding circuitry. For example, the preceding gain stage can greatly affect the overall symmetry/asymmetry of the input signal as well as potential to clip the signal already at the grid due to grid conduction. This will all affect how the stage clips in practice, in a complete circuit.

screamersusa
Information

Post by screamersusa »

teemuk wrote:You could plot the loadline but overall I think what is "going on" is just carefully applied equalisation pre/post/within distorting gain stages.
I don't think you get a magic formula to great tone just by selecting specific cathode and plate resistances within a single gain stage. Amplifier is always a complete circuit, not a single gain stage; everything affects everything.
I do get that, which is why my question was so specific. Having mucked with too many circuits I was trying to find that one
bit of "Glue" that I was missing. Thank you for one of the most informative and understandable answers I've ever gotten.
If I can apply it to a gain stage module or building block, I can then add different drives/od sections around it to get what I am after, a truly playable personalized preamp.
Thanks

screamersusa
Information

Post by screamersusa »

As far as "hearing the difference", I suspect that may be why some people prefer power amp and speaker
distortions over dirt pedals. Somehow smoother and more organic. I seem to prefer more symmetrical clipping
with just a hint of asymmetry. Easier to "dig into" and "play" the clipping itself as an extension of the instrument as it
seems to have a consistent threshold to work against. Just my opionion :popcorn:

Observation from firsthand speaker building live sound experience:
I built and ran a large diy PA. One version had Piezo array drivers, the other identical version
had Standard high quality compression horns. When amplifying acoustic instruments such as guitar and traditional
wooden flutes etc: The piezo driven system made hairs stand up on peoples necks and caused goose bumps, the
traditional compression drivers did not. I had the same band to work with during the test process and the audiences
were well to do, some were audiophiles. Turns out the piezos went way above the hearing range and harmonics of this
were causing the same physical reaction in people as if they were in a small room and the instruments were not
amplified. Quite cool. I suspect that while many may not notice the difference in distortion, some may "feel it".

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

I noticed that in the powerball and wondered if it was " oh , if 220k plate is good 330k will be even better! "
Hadn't got around to trying to analyze the powerball , how much low end roll off or brightness there is early in the
circuit, but it does have a clarity in the distortion [ full chords ] that I like and wanted to find out how much of the
circuit was responsible for that.

screamersusa
Information

Post by screamersusa »

My Crate had the 220k originally like your powerball. Bumping it to the 330k/3.3k with 1nf snubber cap across the 330k like in the 530/Savage etc made the amp go into the distortion range I wanted with the right amount of compression for my personal taste. I believe the Mark2c also had a 220k.
What others have said before about pre EQ and level control before and after the stage we are looking at is critical. I've been going with more low cut before this stage and making the missing bass up later with an Anderton frequency booster embedded in the amps post od section after the post level, before it mixes with the clean channel. Keeps the bottom rounded.
My questions are after I've mucked with many different distortions with eq on both ends trying to find the sound and feel I want to no avail. I then dug into the Engl circuits to figure out where that bit of magic I liked was hidden and verified it.
FYI, I dont run the Engl tone full out like Death metal or Nu rock and I tune to C. I run it high enough for powerfull chords, chunky palm mutes and with a light touch very sparkly runs. Basically in it's most dynamic range at basically 2 pre set levels.
I dont like the rectifryers because they seem fizzy all the time like a blown speaker to me.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Basically, what's happening with that 33k Anode -resistor/3k3 Cathode-resistor combination is that the maximum current-flow from the Cathode to the Anode is being reduced, the 330k resistor and the 3k3 resistor limits the maximum current that can flow when the triode-stage is fully conducting, since these resistors are about three times the typical "Standard" values (100k and 1k) about a third of the current can flow, now, the thing about Triode stages is that as you reduce the maximum current-flow, the voltage-gain of the Triode stage will increase, you only have to look at a set of transfer-curves for the Triode-stage to see how the voltage-gain increases, as the maximum current decreases the DC load-line gets progressively less steep, sorry if this sounds a bit technical...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

mirageman
Information

Post by mirageman »

Hey have you got any mods for the gxt100
I've got the combo and it sounds thin, needs more body to the tone
Any mods mate??

darkbluemurder
Information

Post by darkbluemurder »

screamersusa wrote: 13 Sep 2014, 16:36 My Crate had the 220k originally like your powerball. Bumping it to the 330k/3.3k with 1nf snubber cap across the 330k like in the 530/Savage etc made the amp go into the distortion range I wanted with the right amount of compression for my personal taste. I believe the Mark2c also had a 220k.
The Mark IIc had a 270k. No doubt that Engl got the idea from there, tweaked it and put the tone stack after the distortion.

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

I think the MK2c influenced the Bogner Snorkeler. Then the snorkeler influenced Engl. If you look at the Engl "Straight" you see the Bogner snorkeler, almost dead nuts, into something similar to a mesa coliseum PA. The snorkeler has two stages of 330k/3.3k. Then Engl replaced the second stage 330k/3.3k with a standard 100k/1.5k and moved towards what we think of as Engl today. IMO, there is something about the 330k/3.3k combo. Try it at 320V B+. That has been sort of a sweet spot in my experiments (as well as where Engl puts it in some of their designs). YMMV.