Electrolytic capacitor orientation

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Borderline
Information

Post by Borderline »

Hey all,

On the picture attached, Just wondering what the " + " sign means on the capacitors that are non Electrolytic ?

for example C6, C7 and C8.

Is it indication of direction flow or point of ground ? or ?

Thanks.
Attachments
caps.jpg

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

It would probably be best to see a schematic of the circuit in question. Regardless, it seems like you're referring to caps that are axial, but still polarized, or electrolytic. If they're bigger than 1uF, it's even more likely that they're electrolytic.

Borderline
Information

Post by Borderline »

Heya,

They are defintely just normal Illinois axial polyester film caps - I've opened it up to see and confirmed on the parts list. The amp is the new valveking micro head. In the picture I've posted J1 is the input jack and C6 is connected to V1 tube - would that make it some kind of coupling cap ?

I can send the schematic to you in PDF. I dont think its in the public domain yet.

I'm just learning about all this stuff but i cant for the life of me figure out why they have put the + because the caps are not directional.

Im interested to know because I have some caps I might use to replace that have the outer foil marked and was wondering if it was related.